Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Poehling will never make the NHL.

He’ll obviously get more games because he’s a first rounder and Montreal loves to play their shitty draftees, but his career will be somewhat similar to Scherbak and McCarron.

Everything about this guy SCREAMS bust. 21 years old and can’t even hold a spoon in the AHL. Hell even McCarron had better production as a 20 year old!

The fact that this kid never even hit a PPG in any of his 3 seasons in the NCAA playing on one of the best teams in the league tells me everything I need to know about this player. He has 0 offensive skill. You just can’t be a good NHL player without production. Even on the 4th line.

It’s honestly a bit shocking that we had this guy as our #1 prospect for so long. Even as a top 3 prospect. How fkn sad is that.

I’ll be honest I never watched him really play before Laval (other than highlights and World Juniors) so I used to simply take it for granted that he was a decent prospect from what ppl were saying. But now that I watch him play, both in Laval and on the habs, on TV and in person, I can confidently say this kid fkn sucks.

This is pretty bold from someone who admits to not watching him play. There is obviously a chance he doesn't turn the corner. Most players picked where he was don't amount to much. I would say there is still time for him. I mean this is his first year as a pro. My guess is that he will be way more prepared next year after an offseason with some very clear ideas about what he needs to work on and some extra motivation.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Martin Kaut has looked great for the Avs. He's already tied Poehlings point totals for this year. Kaut had similar numbers to Poehling in the AHL while being 10 months younger, and it looks like he didn't completely forget how to play hockey. Weird. I guess the Avs are ruining him? Or maybe he is just a good player and calling him up after average numbers didn't ruin his game entirely like Ryan Poehling.

I think I'm missing your point because when I looked Kaut, despite being 10 months younger he has 42 points in AHL and Poehling has 14 points. Kaut has 4 NHL games and Poehling has 28 games. 3 times the points as Poehling but 7 times less NHL games.

Seems to me Avs actually waited before calling him up and this is with him already playing pro hockey in Europe for 2 years before AHL.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It look like Jack Evans stepped ahead of Poehling within the system prospects ranking. Management gave him a confidence vote saying his play made Thompson expandable. He is older. Julien seem to like him.

both play centres, which one is more likely to be moved to wing?

I could see both at wing. I hope more that they become 20 goal 40 to 50 point scorers, even if on the wing, than they become 200 foot centers.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
This is pretty bold from someone who admits to not watching him play. There is obviously a chance he doesn't turn the corner. Most players picked where he was don't amount to much. I would say there is still time for him. I mean this is his first year as a pro. My guess is that he will be way more prepared next year after an offseason with some very clear ideas about what he needs to work on and some extra motivation.

I didn't watch him play in the NCAA, other than highlights. I have watched him plenty (in person as well) in Laval, the Habs and the World Juniors.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sadly this organization has no clue on
1. Drafting properly
2. Developing properly

Yet the clueless GM with zero track record of drafting and developing is all of a sudden building through the draft.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
1. Drafting properly
2. Developing properly

Yet the clueless GM with zero track record of drafting and developing is all of a sudden building through the draft.
1. Drafting properly
2. Developing properly

Building through the draft since 2012 :laugh:

Reactions: cphabs and Tyson

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So MB says to Brunet he sees Poehling as having potential to be a real good 3C.

Oh good. So thats a 1st round success for us, a 3rd liner. Albeit a centre.

My problem with this statement.

First, Im guessing Poehling would like to see himself as having higher potential than that, giving he is 6 months into his pro career, so Im guessing those comments are deflating. Just like when Tinordi, Leblanc and BigMac were told of their low end potential.

And no, I dont take those words as challenging the player or sheltering him from fans and media . Just say nothing. Or say Poehling will decide what he becomes, all we can do is help him. Better ?

Secondly, I think that is the player the Habs drafted. They saw Poehling as having 3C upside and drafted him.

We have to draft players with higher ceilings. Thats the bottom line. When our upside is mediocrity well then at best that is what we will be.

Great for TT if he is satisfied by selecting players that end up in the NHL as 3rd or 4th liners, but to win a Cup we need stars and top end guys.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Oh good. So thats a 1st round success for us, a 3rd liner. Albeit a centre.

I'm the last guy to defend Timmins, but if Poehling indeed develops into a good #3C then that's perfectly fine for a late 1st round pick. I believe #3C's like Coyle or Faksa are often more important than your 3rd or 4th best wingers.

First, Im guessing Poehling would like to see himself as having higher potential than that, giving he is 6 months into his pro career, so Im guessing those comments are deflating.

We really do have to stop treating our prospects like fragile flowers. Bergevin's given a realistic projection of Poehling's role in the NHL. Meanwhile, he's getting regular top-6 minutes in Laval, despite not being among 6 best forwards, and prime powerplay time. He has every opportunity to prove that his GM's projection is too low.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm the last guy to defend Timmins, but if Poehling indeed develops into a good #3C then that's perfectly fine for a late 1st round pick. I believe #3C's like Coyle or Faksa are often more important than your 3rd or 4th best wingers.

We really do have to stop treating our prospects like fragile flowers. Bergevin's given a realistic projection of Poehling's role in the NHL. Meanwhile, he's getting regular top-6 minutes in Laval, despite not being among 6 best forwards, and prime powerplay time. He has every opportunity to prove that his GM's projection is too low.

If since 2012 we had several more than 2 guys become top end players ( Sergachev and Galchenyuk ) then great if Poehling is a 3C. We need a lot better than that.

And I disagree. When the GM or Coach label you, Im guessing most kids will gravitate to that because more than anything they want to be an NHL player. So if the GM says you are a 3rd liner then I guess the player tries to be that, and stops trying to put up as much offense. Like when Tinordi and Big Mac had these little chats and next thing you know they are dropping the gloves.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I don't believe Bergevin when he says that they knew his potential was 3c all along. If so, why in the heck wouldn't he trade him as the main piece in a Ryan O'Reilly trade (if the rumors were true), makes no sense, they must've felt he had a higher ceilling

Jul 6, 2016
Sergachev is turning into a monster and Drouin sucks! Way to go TT!

What's your point ? Sergachev is one of the rare really good players that Habs drafted in the last 10 years. Too bad he was traded. McDonagh was traded too.

As for Drouin, it's not a matter of talent, but what he has, or has not between the ears.

TT success % rate is rather low. That's MY point !

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If since 2012 we had several more than 2 guys become top end players ( Sergachev and Galchenyuk ) then great if Poehling is a 3C. We need a lot better than that.

It's not how it works. When you're at the draft, you're dealing with what's in front of you and try to make the best decision. Trying to compensate for previous errors is not the way to go.

And I disagree. When the GM or Coach label you, Im guessing most kids will gravitate to that because more than anything they want to be an NHL player. So if the GM says you are a 3rd liner then I guess the player tries to be that, and stops trying to put up as much offense. Like when Tinordi and Big Mac had these little chats and next thing you know they are dropping the gloves.

I don't get it. What exactly is the difference between a #2 and #3 hard matchups center? Because that was always what Poehling was going to be. So now he hears he's not going to be a #2 but a #3 (despite playing heavy minutes with best wingers and PP time in Laval) and he's going to turn off some significant dimension of his skill set based on that? I don't buy it.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's not how it works. When you're at the draft, you're dealing with what's in front of you and trying to make the best decision. Trying to compensate for previous errors is not the way to go.

I don't get it. What exactly is the difference between a #2 and #3 hard matchups center? Because that was always what Poehling was going to be. So now he hears he's not going to be a #2 but a #3 (despite playing heavy minutes with best wingers and PP time in Laval) and he's going to turn off some significant dimension of his skill set based on that? I don't buy it.

There is a big diff between a 3C and a 2C, check the salaries.

I think we have beaten this to death. I just dont think a coach or GM should be saying a 1st round pick has a relatively low limit as I think it will affect the guys morale and how he plays ,you dont. Fair enough.

Jul 6, 2016
There is a big diff between a 3C and a 2C, check the salaries.

I think we have beaten this to death. I just dont think a coach or GM should be saying a 1st round pick has a relatively low limit as I think it will affect the guys morale and how he plays ,you dont. Fair enough.

Gainey has always been a third line winger... And he is in the Hall of Fame like Carbonneau.

Poehling has shown at College level that he is very limited offensively. Don't get blinded by the smoke show of the Final game vs TO last season.

On which NHL team would Poehling be a top two line centerman ? Detroit ? Ottawa ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gainey has always been a third line winger... And he is in the Hall of Fame like Carbonneau.

Poehling has shown at College level that he is very limited offensively. Don't get blinded by the smoke show of the Final game vs TO last season.

On which NHL team would Poehling be a top two line centerman ? Detroit ? Ottawa ?

Let's just let him develop for a couple years in the AHL befire we project him.

Based on his skill set, I could see him becoming a 20 goal 50 point power forward winger. Let's wait and see. He may never develop the puck skills to be a center at the nhl level.

Reactions: cphabs

Jul 6, 2016
Let's just let him develop for a couple years in the AHL befire we project him.

Based on his skill set, I could see him becoming a 20 goal 50 point power forward winger. Let's wait and see. He may never develop the puck skills to be a center at the nhl level.

It seems that the problem with him is not his physical attributes and skills, but the mental part: accepting to climb the ladder step by step. It was a very, very bad move bringing him at NHL level for the last game last season. But Habs are experts at "burning" kids.

will he accept to stay at AHL level two more seasons ? The kid was pouting as hell when sent down after his training camp injury.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What's your point ? Sergachev is one of the rare really good players that Habs drafted in the last 10 years. Too bad he was traded. McDonagh was traded too.

As for Drouin, it's not a matter of talent, but what he has, or has not between the ears.

TT success % rate is rather low. That's MY point !
There are more of TT’s picks running around in the league that have a better chance at the Cup, now and in the future, than any player on our team. Think about it!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Hey you want real good players for their respective role. If we had Bobby Smith, Vinnie Damphousse as top 6C , great. We dont. So think we should go for higher upside until then.

Jul 6, 2016
There are more of TT’s picks running around in the league that have a better chance at the Cup, now and in the future, than any player on our team. Think about it!

Cups are not won by individual players, but as a team. The ex-Habs players with contending teams have that opportunity to be better surrounded and coached. Patches last season was very meh... This year, he is having an excellent season. Subban is going the other way, partly because of the team on which he is playing. Eller is in the right chair in Washington. Sergachev has only played 4 games for the Habs. He was not developed by them.

Jul 6, 2016
Hey you want real good players for their respective role. If we had Bobby Smith, Vinnie Damphousse as top 6C , great. We dont. So think we should go for higher upside until then.

It's not a reason to give a top-two line centerman role to a guy who has not proved nothing yet at pro level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad