Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I've been here for every draft since '01 and the only time this board seemed really pleased with the draft going by the bulk of the posters was '12 and '18. There's nothing wrong with being concerned that '18 won't go as well as some here think it will.

Sure, but the team has way more decent prospects than they have at any time since then. Blame Bergevin for all kinds of things, but he has accumulated picks and used them. I think I was more excited after the 2006 draft than 2012 myself...

Obviously guys are going to flop, but we have such a deep pool right now that there is a good chance some do well.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sure, but the team has way more decent prospects than they have at any time since then. Blame Bergevin for all kinds of things, but he has accumulated picks and used them. I think I was more excited after the 2006 draft than 2012 myself...

Obviously guys are going to flop, but we have such a deep pool right now that there is a good chance some do well.

He hasn't really accumulated that many picks, though, at least not high ones. He's traded away as many 2nd round picks as he's acquired, no? The 2012/13 extra picks were acquired by Gauthier, and he traded away 4 2nd round picks between 2014 and 2016, and he acquired 4 2nd round picks since (and traded one of those back, but let's assume he got at least equal value with Hillis). Maybe he's accumulated picks in the 3rd round or later, but those returns diminish very quickly. If you add the 2012-13 2nd picks into then he's drafted a net +3 times in the top 60/2 over what he would have done in 7 years had he made no moves whatsoever.

That's not really an inspiring amount of accumulation.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He hasn't really accumulated that many picks, though, at least not high ones. He's traded away as many 2nd round picks as he's acquired, no? The 2012/13 extra picks were acquired by Gauthier, and he traded away 4 2nd round picks between 2014 and 2016, and he acquired 4 2nd round picks since (and traded one of those back, but let's assume he got at least equal value with Hillis). Maybe he's accumulated picks in the 3rd round or later, but those returns diminish very quickly. If you add the 2012-13 2nd picks into then he's drafted a net +3 times in the top 60/2 over what he would have done in 7 years had he made no moves whatsoever.

That's not really an inspiring amount of accumulation.

Yeah, I see your point. I guess I'm talking about the last couple of years particularly. I think it's also that we had gotten so used to only having 5 picks per draft and often no 2nd's and sometimes no 1sts.... so this is better! :)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, I see your point. I guess I'm talking about the last couple of years particularly. I think it's also that we had gotten so used to only having 5 picks per draft and often no 2nd's and sometimes no 1sts.... so this is better! :)

I'm still waiting for an extra first. It's been forever since we've had 2 firsts in a draft. Watching NYR and Boston grab all kinds of 1st round picks made me super jelly.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No 1sts??

That’s happened like once in he last 20yrs

With the seconds, it always seems we either have none or we have multiples

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
No 1sts??

That’s happened like once in he last 20yrs

With the seconds, it always seems we either have none or we have multiples

Yeah, I guess you're right... I'm just traumatized because I was at that draft.

Certainly been a lot of lean years and lots of missing 2nd's.. Not having those picks comes back to haunt you as we are well aware...

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah, I guess you're right... I'm just traumatized because I was at that draft.

Certainly been a lot of lean years and lots of missing 2nd's.. Not having those picks comes back to haunt you as we are well aware...
Love the draft.....was at the mcdavid draft in Fort Lauderdale, the year we picked Juulsen

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Love the draft.....was at the mcdavid draft in Fort Lauderdale, the year we picked Juulsen

Cool. Yeah I like it too. It's pretty zen especially day 2. I love watching the GM's interact and just seeing the pace of it...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

guess you missed the part of my post, '14, '15 and '16 we had a grand total of 3 picks inside the top 70. That's f***ing terrible.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Poehling is working out or playing insome games in a summer league with his brothers, other teammates (Schuldt, Jackson, both at our development camp in '17) lots of NHLers or other NCAA players. he hasn't played in any games yet and he's at Team USA's camp now but maybe after the camp? Here's the roster,

Players

Mike Reilly is there, along with former Hab draft picks Ryan McDonagh and Danny Kristo.

Reactions: King In Glory

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So Poehling is working out or playing insome games in a summer league with his brothers, other teammates (Schuldt, Jackson, both at our development camp in '17) lots of NHLers or other NCAA players. he hasn't played in any games yet and he's at Team USA's camp now but maybe after the camp? Here's the roster,

Players

Mike Reilly is there, along with former Hab draft picks Ryan McDonagh and Danny Kristo.

How do these summer tournaments work , is it NHL rules and hitting?

Would hate to see a player get injured in a summer league.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

Players

Charlie Lindgren also on the roster.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is my favorite prospect on Habs. (Kotkaniemi is the better prospect and i like both).

This guy he is the real deal. Elite hockey IQ, amazing defensive play, great maturity, underrated hands. Just work on his shot and he is going to be a stud in NHL IMO.

This guy is so underrated, people don't know what he can give on offense zone.

Reactions: dralaf

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He is my favorite prospect on Habs. (Kotkaniemi is the better prospect and i like both).

This guy he is the real deal. Elite hockey IQ, amazing defensive play, great maturity, underrated hands. Just work on his shot and he is going to be a stud in NHL IMO.

This guy is so underrated, people don't know what he can give on offense zone.
He's going to be a great fit with our team IMO. He plays the style of game we're trying to play with speed, smarts, and high compete level- he just also so happens to have size and skills.

Reactions: dralaf

MC94

May 13, 2018
He's going to be a great fit with our team IMO. He plays the style of game we're trying to play with speed, smarts, and high compete level- he just also so happens to have size and skills.
What would a fair comparison be for him I really havent seen much of this kid

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Id say his best case scenario would be a Ryan Kesler/Mikko Koivu type of player.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad