Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
My post was less ****ting on Poehling and more criticizing what I feel are relaxed standards around here. I've seen the projected center lineup of Kotkaniemi-Poehling-Danault as being ''amazing'' and being asked to ''just imagine.'' Man, other teams are rocking two all star first line centers. That ought to be the goal, IMO.

I'm watching Poehling's season this year with a great deal of interest. My feeling is that he's a guy who you'd really rather he be a 3C, but I do admit there is potential for more.

Well, all i can say is , you're not wrong ... but we're talking about a franchise thats quite literally had ZERO centers for a solid decade, it might feel like relaxed standards..but really people are just a little happy there's SOME kind of center activity on the way, some kind of pulse that shows promise at the Center position all of a sudden. Whether thats because of Kotka's play, the hopes we have for Poehling and what little flashes suzuki has shown us, its something

But you're not wrong in saying another top 5 pick (preferably a center), would do WONDERS for that center depth even more so.. its just that its no guarantee we get another center.. even tho we all know we want and need another one to really solidify everything moving forward

Reactions: Frank Drebin

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Kesler was my guess........

Cozens/Dach
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Danault

It’s the dream scenario for our depth down the middle starting next year.

With the likes of Suzuki, Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Tatar, Scherbak and Byron on the wing, we in business moving forward.....at least at forward

That C depth is perfect, we need a big right handed shot C and Cozens/Dach would be great.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My post was less ****ting on Poehling and more criticizing what I feel are relaxed standards around here. I've seen the projected center lineup of Kotkaniemi-Poehling-Danault as being ''amazing'' and being asked to ''just imagine.'' Man, other teams are rocking two all star first line centers. That ought to be the goal, IMO.

I'm watching Poehling's season this year with a great deal of interest. My feeling is that he's a guy who you'd really rather he be a 3C, but I do admit there is potential for more.
I suppose you're right, of course Malkin isn't a great example but the best #2C's would probably be #1 C's on half the teams in the league. Guys like ROR, Kesler in his prime, Krejci. 70 point players, not 50 point players.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Who would you rather have playing 2C? Malkin or ROR? Pretty obviously Malkin, because you'd rather be in the situation where Malkin ends up as your 2C in the first place, let alone the difference in player quality.
Id rather daily drive a Ferrari 250GTO, but every one knows my mini cooper clubman makes more sense in that role.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That draft class is looking crazy deep. Poehling looks like a great pick, but Frost, Jokiharju, Tolvanen, Timmins, Hague are all better imo. Then you got Lind, Ratcliffe, Robertson, Heponiemi, JAD, Formenton who look great as well.
I don't agree with Tolvanen and Frost, but the others are better. Timmins, Hague and Jokiharju all have top pairing potential.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I get that the team should strive to have the best player in every spot possible, but if RP somehow ends up around what Oreilly or Koivu are, its not a bad thing to have them sitting in the 2nd spot and it is good enough to be championship calibre. The recipe to win is highly volatile, wether thats the 2 1C formula that has been en vogue lately, the two 1D recipe of the Devils/Ducks/Preds, the 1C1W1D1G of the Bruins, Kings and Hawks, is to the Habs team to define. Screw all that following the parade stuff and let them make history, ane if thats with a deep top 9 with stars at the top, all the best.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2 assists in his debut yesterday, St. Cloud won 6-2

I guess their team is still trying to choose a starter and back up, they played with 3 goalies yesterday (1 period each) and the opposing team played with just 1 goalie.

That's because it was more like a pickup game as a warmup to the season opener next weekend vs one of the worst teams in the NCAA most likely (Koberstein's team)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't agree with Tolvanen and Frost, but the others are better. Timmins, Hague and Jokiharju all have top pairing potential.

Agreed. I'm going to give Poehling time, but a number of players picked after him have been more impressive.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreed. I'm going to give Poehling time, but a number of players picked after him have been more impressive.
Well, I guess it depends what you mean by more impressive. Also, it's always like that, and there's some that have been picked before him that are not as impressive or close to, imo. (Norris, Vakaanainen, Valimaki, Foote, Andersson, Tippett, Foote, Liljegren)

Reactions: dralaf and Redux91

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well, I guess it depends what you mean by more impressive. Also, it's always like that, and there's some that have been picked before him that are not as impressive or close to, imo. (Norris, Vakaanainen, Valimaki, Foote, Andersson, Tippett, Foote, Liljegren)

I'm definitely giving Poehling a chance. I do like what he's shown last year a lot. But damn were we close to landing Thomas (he alreadylooks great and so does Kyrou) and even watching Jokiharju left me that taste that this might be yet another year where our supposed best-in-biz gets outpeformed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I suppose you're right, of course Malkin isn't a great example but the best #2C's would probably be #1 C's on half the teams in the league. Guys like ROR, Kesler in his prime, Krejci. 70 point players, not 50 point players.
When you look at cup winning teams their number 2 center was almost always a 55-70 points player who was strong defensibly if he was closer to 55 points. There's a few exception but for the most part it's a reality people should accept. A guy like Danault for now just doesn't cut it as a 2nd line center on a cup winning team and it's far from certain Poehling will become one.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm definitely giving Poehling a chance. I do like what he's shown last year a lot. But damn were we close to landing Thomas (he alreadylooks great and so does Kyrou) and even watching Jokiharju left me that taste that this might be yet another year where our supposed best-in-biz gets outpeformed.
You could do this for any prospect lol

Reactions: Redux91

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I like his stickhandling in the corner on the 2nd goal. He has speed vision heart, if he can work on his offense and be a 40 pts player this year we might have a 2nd C

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One thung's for sure: after years of no real top 6 C's we're now at most 1c away from having a true more than respectable center line.

Kotkaniemi looks like a 1. Danault is a great 3, who can play as a 2. And, we have several inhouse candidates for the 2c spot, most notably Domi, Poehling, and Olofsen.

I like the Tampa model where they have amassed so much center talent that they move them to the wing. I think Kotkaniemi is a good place from where to build. Adding another potential no. 1C at the next draft would do wonders.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I just dont see "auto 3rd line C" with this guy.. he always seems like at least a 2C, i mean i just dont understand why everyone just relegates him to 3rd line all the time

I find the NCAAers always get some kind of knock like this because we never get to see them in training camp or preseason, but i understand that i guess, pre-season is a decent measuring stick usually

but our NCAA track record isnt so hot either i suppose

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I like his stickhandling in the corner on the 2nd goal. He has speed vision heart, if he can work on his offense and be a 40 pts player this year we might have a 2nd C

I despise going on just stats.. but id have to say, for that true 2nd C consideration, im going to have to see at least 40 points this year as well

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Impressive where?? Kid hasn’t even played a game in the nhl yet, and tbh, wht he did in at St-Mary’s has been nothing short of impressive when you consider his age.....many players picked prior to him have been less impressive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Impressive where?? Kid hasn’t even played a game in the nhl yet, and tbh, wht he did in at St-Mary’s has been nothing short of impressive when you consider his age.....many players picked prior to him have been less impressive.

Go check on eliteprospects.com, they have every team and every league the players play in....

Seriously, what is the point of this question ? If you erase anything anyone does before the NHL, then just make a monkey randomly select names out of a hat for the draft (and do the same when you trade prospects) since no prospect can be more impressive than the other until they hit the pros.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Only because you're poor. I'd rather be driven in a bentley.

It's this boards welfare mentality. You can't even bring up the idea that the team tries to stock up on 90-95th percentile+ type players. It's apparently impossible. It's the defining characteristic of almost every cup winner ever, but its apparently an impossible thing to strive for in Montreal. Would rather watch Danault score 40 points on the first and go pointless in a sweep.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just dont see "auto 3rd line C" with this guy.. he always seems like at least a 2C, i mean i just dont understand why everyone just relegates him to 3rd line all the time

I find the NCAAers always get some kind of knock like this because we never get to see them in training camp or preseason, but i understand that i guess, pre-season is a decent measuring stick usually

but our NCAA track record isnt so hot either i suppose

It's because Poehling works at the parts of the game that is boring... defensive awareness and being a shutdown center with a 200' game. His value is underrated cause people look at the guys who put up points.

I like this kid a alot! Big body that can skate, shut you down, and provide some offense. I have him as a perfect middle 2 center but depends on how the line-up is built

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's this boards welfare mentality. You can't even bring up the idea that the team tries to stock up on 90-95th percentile+ type players. It's apparently impossible. It's the defining characteristic of almost every cup winner ever, but its apparently an impossible thing to strive for in Montreal. Would rather watch Danault score 40 points on the first and go pointless in a sweep.

I hope that Jesperi can help divorce this board of these silly notions. It's been a very long time, since we watched a truly talented skater develop on this team. People seem to have either forgotten what it looks like, or have given up on it entirely. I don't want to sit here and ''just imagine'' what a center line of Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Danault would look like in a few years. I want this organization to prepare for the possible eventuality that it's just not good enough.

If it breaks our way, then that's excellent, but this is otherwise not good decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad