Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Id say his best case scenario would be a Ryan Kesler/Mikko Koivu type of player.
Kesler was my guess........

Cozens/Dach
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Danault

It’s the dream scenario for our depth down the middle starting next year.

With the likes of Suzuki, Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Tatar, Scherbak and Byron on the wing, we in business moving forward.....at least at forward

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Kesler was my guess........

Cozens/Dach
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Danault

It’s the dream scenario for our depth down the middle starting next year.

With the likes of Suzuki, Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Tatar, Scherbak and Byron on the wing, we in business moving forward.....at least at forward
I'd love to snag Cozens or Dach next year, but I have a feeling by the time we pick, they'll be gone

Reactions: jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think the play we see from Domi right now- but in a 6’2” 210lbs frame- would be similar to what I think Poehling will be.

Not too sure about that and I like RP. Domi's looking fantastic now. Like the best C since Koivu. If he can sustain this play I'd say he looks better than Koivu. Again, that's a big if and it's still early but Domi's been revelatory SO FAR. I'm feeling good about him not being a fluke but I just don't know if he can be THIS good consistently.

I really don't know if Poehling can be this good. That would be amazing but I don't see it. He'd need to take another big leap in his development this year.

Mind you I'm confused about Poehling's skating. I always thought it was a strength but I keep hearing from certain areas that it's not an issue but it's not that great. He always looked pretty fast to me for his size. Either way he definitely doesn't have Domi's skating. Poehling's got a ways to go to convince me has legit top 6 potential.

Was his game televised? Did anyone see it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he is as good as Derrick Brassard, we have to be really happy. Especially if Kotkaniemi is better than him. We would have some of the best center line in the league.

And that is hard to believe.

The hyperbole on this forum is off the charts. Poehling projects as a third line C. Is that all it takes to have the "best center line in the league"? How about adding another potential top line center at the draft? Then maybe we'd have a legitimate argument.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Using the old HF ranking system, poehling probably scores a 7.0B

Im high on Kotkaniemi and put him at 8.5B

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
The hyperbole on this forum is off the charts. Poehling projects as a third line C. Is that all it takes to have the "best center line in the league"? How about adding another potential top line center at the draft? Then maybe we'd have a legitimate argument.

Wait, that was never my point. The whole post hinges on "if he is as good as Brassard" which I definately don't see as an obvious thing. But the poster I answered to believed he would be better than Brassard. If that was the case, along with Kotkaniemi being better, then that would give Montreal one of the best center lines.

It's a huge IF and definately not something that I see happening right now (although I think Poehling will be better than a 3C, I don't think he will be as good as Brassard. If he was, I'd be ecstatic).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Pretty much. ''Poehling projects as the ideal 2C?'' Oh word? He projects as Evgeni Malkin? Interdasting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wait, that was never my point. The whole post hinges on "if he is as good as Brassard" which I definately don't see as an obvious thing. But the poster I answered to believed he would be better than Brassard. If that was the case, along with Kotkaniemi being better, then that would give Montreal one of the best center lines.

It's a huge IF and definately not something that I see happening right now (although I think Poehling will be better than a 3C, I don't think he will be as good as Brassard. If he was, I'd be ecstatic).

Even if Poehling were to be as good as Brassard, would that be all it takes to make this one of the best center lines in the league? I don't know, I'd have a difficult time believing that there aren't several other teams with better than a Brassard-type as their second C prospect. Maybe someone can chime in with comparatives.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
When you hear the term "Ideal #2 C" the first player that pops into your head is Malkin? In a general sense I see more of a guy like Kadri as an "ideal #2 C"

He's the best guy playing that role in the league. The idea of a 2C, as being distinct from a second 1C comes from just not having enough 1Cs to go around, much like the idea of a 3rd line being an energy or checking line comes from just not having enough good players to fill out 3 scoring lines. The ''ideal'' 2C is a guy who'd be playing 1C on most other teams.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Pretty much. ''Poehling projects as the ideal 2C?'' Oh word? He projects as Evgeni Malkin? Interdasting.

Cmon man lol, Evgeni Malkin..? on 98% of teams he is the 1C and then some..

People are obviously projecting outrageous standards to be met by Poehling but people are probably underrating him as well

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

One thung's for sure: after years of no real top 6 C's we're now at most 1c away from having a true more than respectable center line.

Kotkaniemi looks like a 1. Danault is a great 3, who can play as a 2. And, we have several inhouse candidates for the 2c spot, most notably Domi, Poehling, and Olofsen.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Cmon man lol, Evgeni Malkin..? on 98% of teams he is the 1C and then some..

People are obviously projecting outrageous standards to be met by Poehling but people are probably underrating him as well

My post was less shitting on Poehling and more criticizing what I feel are relaxed standards around here. I've seen the projected center lineup of Kotkaniemi-Poehling-Danault as being ''amazing'' and being asked to ''just imagine.'' Man, other teams are rocking two all star first line centers. That ought to be the goal, IMO.

I'm watching Poehling's season this year with a great deal of interest. My feeling is that he's a guy who you'd really rather he be a 3C, but I do admit there is potential for more.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Malkin would be the number one center on every team besides the Pens and Oilers. Ideal 2C is a guy like ROR.

Who would you rather have playing 2C? Malkin or ROR? Pretty obviously Malkin, because you'd rather be in the situation where Malkin ends up as your 2C in the first place, let alone the difference in player quality.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Thats HF projections tho. Why should we take that more seriously than our own beliefs that he could be a great 2nd line Center.
Tho i agree with everything else.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who would you rather have playing 2C? Malkin or ROR? Pretty obviously Malkin, because you'd rather be in the situation where Malkin ends up as your 2C in the first place, let alone the difference in player quality.
Being an ideal 2c doesn't mean that he should be in the top 6 either. Let's say we get both Kotkaniemi and Dach who can be ideal #1 Cs. Poehling being an ideal 2C would be great for the 3rd line. Then, a guy like Danault who is an ideal 3C can be on the 4h line. ROR would be the #2 center on the majority of teams in the league.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Well that is obviously true, but thats also what we call "the dream", and it would be called that because of just how hard and lucky you have to be to GET into a situation where a "malkin" becomes a 2nd line C by default (for Pitts, it obviously took 2nd overall, and winning a lottery to get 1st overall.....hard to replicate, the best we can do is 3rd overall so far, and early returns this year dont show a 30th place team)

When it comes to Poehlings case, he could very well be a GREAT 2nd line center but we have no way of knowing that until we simply get into the future, and in that future, we just dont know if we finish dead last again or get to a point where we end up with a NOT so great draft pick.. it could skew the hopes and dreams of getting a "malkin" to ever be your 2nd line C, so with that

I would hope more people pray and hope poehling becomes some kind of a top 6 center over the hope we end up with a 1st of 2nd overall pick, as we already have poehling, but obtaining that top 2 pick is no guarantee either, and if the pick is a bit later they probably go defense

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
A true one D.
That draft class is looking crazy deep. Poehling looks like a great pick, but Frost, Jokiharju, Tolvanen, Timmins, Hague are all better imo. Then you got Lind, Ratcliffe, Robertson, Heponiemi, JAD, Formenton who look great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad