Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I like Poehling as much as anyone but Domi is litterally a 23 year top 6 center lol

never change hfboards, never change lol
I love Domi but we have a dilemma at centre because we have Kotkaniemi, Domi and Poehling. All three are top six calibre centres. Domi is the only one out of three who has experience playing the wing. We wouldn't be wasting Domi on the wing. It would be counterproductive to Poehling's development to play him as a wing. I'm fine with letting him play 3C in his rookie year but eventually he should be our 2nd line centre. It's a tough decision but a great problem to have. It's different from 18 months ago when we literally had no top six centres.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOPE

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I love Domi but we have a dilemma at centre because we have Kotkaniemi, Domi and Poehling. All three are top six calibre centres. Domi is the only one out of three who has experience playing the wing. We wouldn't be wasting Domi on the wing. It would be counterproductive to Poehling's development to play him as a wing. I'm fine with letting him play 3C in his rookie year but eventually he should be our 2nd line centre. It's a tough decision but a great problem to have. It's different from 18 months ago when he literally had no top six centres.
We can deal with it when we get there, but no harm nowadays rolling with 3 scoring lines (Domi/Kotka/Poehling) and 1 checking line (Danault)

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I love Domi but we have a dilemma at centre because we have Kotkaniemi, Domi and Poehling. All three are top six calibre centres. Domi is the only one out of three who has experience playing the wing. We wouldn't be wasting Domi on the wing. It would be counterproductive to Poehling's development to play him as a wing. I'm fine with letting him play 3C in his rookie year but eventually he should be our 2nd line centre. It's a tough decision but a great problem to have. It's different from 18 months ago when he literally had no top six centres.
Domi is on a 70 pace at center this year, in the NHL. Poehling hasn't played pro yet, maybe just calm down on the expectations for now?

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Domi is on a 70 pace at center this year, in the NHL. Poehling hasn't played pro yet, maybe just calm down on the expectations for now?
I know I'm jumping a little bit ahead of myself but don't act Poehling doesn't look like a future top 6 C. PPG in the NCAA and leading WJC in points right now.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Certainly is, but I think you're being overdramatic about how playing Poehling at wing would ruin his development. lol

He played wing for Team USA and plays well at that position as well, supporting his C on the back check with the defensive assignments and finding a way to get forgotten along the boards, only to sneak back near the goal's mouth for 'tip-in's, deflections and gimme goals.

Hs size near the net enables him to hold his ground and be a scoring threat. from the boards or the corner, he can make nifty passes to team-mates whether as a C or a winger.

I'd rather have a larger C-line of Kotkaniemi - Poehling - Danault out of principle, but if it works with Domi thrown in there for an even more solid 4 Cs down that C-line, all the better.

I just think that it is a waste to use Danault as a 4th line C, unless we shy away from the Julien energy line and really try to align scoring depth all the way down to and including the 4th line. MON will need to promote youth to arrive at that, though and keep drafting well as young kids that are blocked up the depth chart are constantly rotating out of the organization via the trade route before we lose them to unrestricted free agency.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why take a near PPG center and put him on the wings?

Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Poehling - Danault - Byron
Agostino - XXX - Shaw

1) Start Poehling off on the wings and switch him with Danault to let him get a taste of the center position
2) Trade Armia this upcoming off-season
3) Trade Danault next off-season (2020) to make room for Poehling as 3C
4) Keep Suzuki in the AHL the next 2 seasons (until 2021)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Centre depth is huge, especially come playoff time. I just wanted to get as much talent in the top six as possible but I definitely see your point on having three scoring lines.

Three? Try four with the 4th line more than just a checking line or an energy line. If Danault ends up being our 4th line C, you better exploit that with veterans that can still score or youngsters that can be auditioning for a role higher up in the depth chart, just like the third liners would be auditioning for a role in the top-6.

Otherwise, it's now a possibility to trade form our C strength to resolve other issues. In that situation, we even would have Suzuki that could play C in the top-9 in case of injury.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Poehling - Danault - Byron
Agostino - XXX - Shaw

1) Start Poehling off on the wings and switch him with Danault to let him get a taste of the center position
2) Trade Armia this upcoming off-season
3) Trade Danault next off-season (2020) to make room for Poehling as 3C
4) Keep Suzuki in the AHL the next 2 seasons

IMO, we are still one RW and a LW away from being extremely deep on offense:

Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - RW
LW - Poehling - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron

IMO, Shaw isn't a long term solution anywhere in the lineup. Byron isn't ideal on a line with Drouin and Domi on RW, or with a line of Poehling and Suzuki on LW, plus he would bring scoring depth to the 4th line with Danault and Lehkonen.

Could we land solid help for the middle-six RW and LW positions that need filling via a trade using available Cap space or the UFA market, something better than Armia, for example.

IF MON could sign a Gardiner as an UFA for the LD and Romanov made the team after next season, we'd be all set with Gardiner, Romanov and Mete (not necessarily in that order to start) on LD and Weber, Petry, Brook and Juulsen on RD as a top-7 D.

Up front, we'd only be a middle-6 RW and LW away from truly being competitive, IMO, the classic case of being a piece or two away from eyeing a Cup. Given the relative youth of the team, it might be worthwhile to give up futures, at that point, to fill those two holes and have a fairly long window for a Cup.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This. Exactly how I see it. Danault makes for an elite 4th line center. Roll 4 lines with speed and hockey sense, albeit without a superstar.

Julien will never use Danault as a 4th liner, he'll always end up on the 3rd line...and where does that leave Poehling?

MB needs to trade Danault imo

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Rediculous debate. Deal with the centre issue when it comes up. If we had 100 players who could potentially be top 6 centres in 3-5 years I wouldn't want to move to wing or trade any of the current centres until one of the prospects forces my hand in training camp. Let Domi and Kotk be our top 6 centres and hope that Suzuki and Poehling force our hand. Count on them all being outstanding in their roles but know that there's a good chance they might thrive in a different role. Keep building our centre depth and let the wings worry about themselves.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi 6’2” - Suzuki
Domi - Poehling 6’2” - Drouin
Tatar - Danault 6’0” - Gallagher
Byron - Shaw - Armia

Byram - Weber
Mete - Petry
Brook - Juulsen

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
As good as Domi is, to me he is still a center for the time being, not a long term solutiion. not saying that Poeling takes his place next year, though. We still need an established Top center.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
As good as Domi is, to me he is still a center for the time being, not a long term solutiion. not saying that Poeling takes his place next year, though. We still need an established Top center.

I still don't see Poehling getting proper TOI at C with Domi, Kotkaniemi and Danault ahead of him next year, unless he plays in Laval until X-Mas and dominates there.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No idea why that discussion of moving anybody for Poehling. Poehling, at first will center our 4th line. Period. Where he should be. Where he'll learn the game. Then, he'll be on the PK. And move up from there. If you have to move somebody, you don't move Domi. You will move Danault when all is said and done. But we are not there yet. And certainly not next year. The only guys moving for Poehling are Peca and Chaput.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Sure, I'm happy we have so many Cs in the pipeline. It's an important step forward. However, even in the most optimistic tint those players bump us no higher than decent. Which is a good start, but nowhere near where we need to be to compete. Exactly why we should be using this down-period to aggressively chase high-end picks and prospects. A great draft in 2019 with another top C and/or D substantially improves our odds of building a strong core.

I'm happy with the direction of our prospects, provided we don't stop halfway.
Do you think there are Beliveaus available late in the first round of every draft? Poehling is an improvement over the last two pcked at that point in the draft/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No idea why that discussion of moving anybody for Poehling. Poehling, at first will center our 4th line. Period. Where he should be. Where he'll learn the game. Then, he'll be on the PK. And move up from there. If you have to move somebody, you don't move Domi. You will move Danault when all is said and done. But we are not there yet. And certainly not next year. The only guys moving for Poehling are Peca and Chaput.

Moving Domi out to make room for Poehling is obviously dumb, but I don't see why we wouldn't want/expect Poehling be able to start on the 3rd line.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Moving Domi out to make room for Poehling is obviously dumb, but I don't see why we wouldn't want/expect Poehling be able to start on the 3rd line.
Because he is a rookie with no pro experience?

And we have two centremen better than NHL average right now, and an elite prospect ahead of him?

Reactions: larrypacman8167
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad