Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We played all last season with a winger centering our first line and had David Desharnais centering our first line for numerous years, people need to settle down on trading our proven centres or moving Domi to the wing.

Start Poehling on the 4th line, he can still develop there just like a guy like Plekanec did here and worked his way up the lineup.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Because he is a rookie with no pro experience?

And we have two centremen better than NHL average right now, and an elite prospect ahead of him?

Being a rookie with no pro experience isn't a valid reason or it would also have applied to Kotkaniemi among tons of others. Either he's good enough for that role or he's not.

If he is good enough to play 3rd line C then we should play him there, if he's not he should probably be on the top line in the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We played all last season with a winger centering our first line and had David Desharnais centering our first line for numerous years, people need to settle down on trading our proven centres or moving Domi to the wing.

Start Poehling on the 4th line, he can still develop there just like a guy like Plekanec did here and worked his way up the lineup.

Well of course Poehling is going to have to prove himself once he turns pro. Several people had Kotkaniemi listed as a potential #1C in the future heading into this season but did they think he was playing with us all year as a 18 year old in the top 3C? I doubt anybody predicted this before training camp

Nobody is saying we are moving Domi to wing as early as next year cause Poehling is ready to play 2C so early. It's just simple forcasted future projections.... IF Poehling turns into who we think he will.

It's the same as trading Petry or not. With me, I'm only considering trading him once Brook and Juulsen prove themselves.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Being a rookie with no pro experience isn't a valid reason or it would also have applied to Kotkaniemi among tons of others. Either he's good enough for that role or he's not.

If he is good enough to play 3rd line C then we should play him there, if he's not he should probably be on the top line in the AHL.

That's exactly what they will do with Poehling. It's on him to adjust to the pro game. And yes, there will be adjustment for sure.

If Poehling doesn't go far in the NCAA championship, I think we sign him and burn his ELC where he plays one game towards the end of the year. Something to watch for at the end of the year. We get a small sample size to see what he can do and maybe he plays for Laval in the playoffs... if they make it

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Do you think there are Beliveaus available late in the first round of every draft? Poehling is an improvement over the last two pcked at that point in the draft/
Sure, Poehling is trending up, which is great news, but all the trends in the world don't necessarily translate into NHL success. I'm tempering my optimism until he plays for the Habs. More importantly, Bergevin needs to stay on course and keep aiming for the best talent, which is mostly found through the draft. Even if Poehling becomes a solid #2C, we still need elite talent. I don't expect to uncover the next Beliveau, but the higher we pick the better the odds of finding the next Jean Ratelle or Gilbert Perrault.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure Plekanec spent most of his rookie season on the 3rd line not the 4th.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Plekanec also spent 3 years in the AHL, including the 2005 lockout year playing against much stiffer competition than the first 2 seasons, so he was about as seasoned a two-way centre as you can probably have as an NHL rookie. He was excellent against Carolina in the playoffs that year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Yes, stop coddling the youth!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

It did apply to Kotkaniemi. He plays behind the centres that are better than him. For Poehling there are three better.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Fun stat: Poehling's stats at the world juniors are the exact same as Kucherov's in his 2nd post draft year.

Another fun stat: Kucherov played in the KHL in his pre-draft year as a 17 year old.

Reactions: David Suzuki

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Poehling, Suzuki and Brook should all start out in Laval in my opinion. If they show they can dominate at that level, then call them up. Add Teasdale, Tszyka and Walford, and the team could be decent next year.

It would do Poehling some good in my opinion to play under Bouchard for 40 games or more.

Reactions: Vachon23

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Poehling, Suzuki and Brook should all start out in Laval in my opinion. If they show they can dominate at that level, then call them up. Add Teasdale, Tszyka and Walford, and the team could be decent next year.

It would do Poehling some good in my opinion to play under Bouchard for 40 games or more.
It would be ideal and is very probable. I guess we'll see what they do at camp and if they show they belong, keep'em up for a while anyways. I can't see Suzuki or Brook making it next year, but I can see Poehling if he decides to go pro.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Fun stat: Poehling's stats at the world juniors are the exact same as Kucherov's in his 2nd post draft year.

Another fun stat: Kucherov played in the KHL in his pre-draft year as a 17 year old.

Then again, they're also the exact same stats as Sven Andrighetto's world junior stats.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
With the normal disclaimer of anybody can be traded if the right deal comes along, we should not move any of our potential top 6Cs until we either have 2 top 6Cs or we clearly dont. Moving any of Domi, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling is just a bad idea.

From these guys hopefully finally have 2 players who can play top 6C, and by the looks of it Domi is one so just one of the other 3.

Or, imagine if Domi is a 2C and Kotkaniemi a 1C, and one of Suzuki and Poehling can be a 2C as well, the value of a 2C in this league is sky high and would get us one heck of a talented young D, if that is what we need at the time.

So we keep our guys and see what they become.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Plekanec was developped nearly 2 decades ago...Poehling needs top 9 minutes or AHL. No competent team develops their prized prospects on the 4th line. Do you see Pastarnak on the 4th line? What about Nylander?

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm in favour of each of Poehling, Suzuki, etc playing at least a season in Laval.

Are you suggesting that Danault, Kotkaniemi, or Domi be removed from the C position?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Plekanec was developped nearly 2 decades ago...Poehling needs top 9 minutes or AHL. No competent team developps their prized prospects on the 4th line. Do you see Pastarnak on the 4th line?

I already challenged plenty of posters on that, nobody ever found anyone that was developped on the 4th line. Good players are developped with minutes... except in MTL, theyre just not developped.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I already challenged plenty of posters on that, nobody ever found anyone that was developped on the 4th line. Good players are developped with minutes... except in MTL, theyre just not developped.

It's a bit disturbing that you or anybody needs to explain the point that players need ice time to develop properly.

It should be the most obvious thing that anybody has ever written on the forum.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a bit disturbing that you or anybody needs to explain the point that players need ice time to develop properly.

It should be the most obvious thing that anybody has ever written on the forum.
Its not disturbing me anymore, I know the majority of people are stupid, refer to the Comtois thread on the prospect board for examples.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Its not disturbing me anymore, I know the majority of people are stupid, refer to the Comtois thread on the prospect board for examples.

I refuse to believe that many people could be that stupid. I suspect that they're blinded by bias. Intelligence is no match for bias.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I love Domi but we have a dilemma at centre because we have Kotkaniemi, Domi and Poehling. All three are top six calibre centres. Domi is the only one out of three who has experience playing the wing. We wouldn't be wasting Domi on the wing. It would be counterproductive to Poehling's development to play him as a wing. I'm fine with letting him play 3C in his rookie year but eventually he should be our 2nd line centre. It's a tough decision but a great problem to have. It's different from 18 months ago when we literally had no top six centres.
When you say top six calibre centers do you mean the NHL or some other league? Of the three you mentioned only one has shown to be a top six NHL center and only for about 60 odd games and that's Domi. And I wouldn't even consider him a #1. He's a little inconsistent for my liking. And I'm a big, big Domi fan. But I'm a bigger fan of the Cup. Koko Puffs has at least a couple of more years before you can confidently slot him in the top six and my guts tell me he ain't a #1 center. As for Poehling can we at least wait till he skates in one pro game before we anoint him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad