Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
I am not sure if he was deserving the Tournament MVP award, but he is a solid player with very good NHL potential. Good for the Habs !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am not sure if he was deserving the Tournament MVP award, but he is a solid player with very good NHL potential. Good for the Habs !

I think he deserved to be in the mix for best forward. But yeah, there were a lot of others who could of won it for sure. Same with Romanov as the best D man.

"Deserved" is not the word I would of used. The kid played well and he deserved to be in the mix to be considered. I will agree that he was not the obvious pick where he stood out ahead of any of the others who also deserved to be in the mix

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
99% of the posters here had no clue who was Romanov. Don't feel so bad.

yeah there's plenty of reasons to 'eat crow' even if Romanov becomes a real stud I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking he was a reach there. Plus Timmins didn't sell him that well. His puck skills are far better than I thought they were.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He joins some pretty good company over the last 10 years:
2009 John Tavares
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

2010 Jordan Eberle

2011 Brayden Schenn

2012 Yevgeni Kuznetsov
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

2013 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

2014 Filip Forsberg
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png

2015 Max Domi

2016 Jesse Puljujärvi
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png

2017 Kirill Kaprizov
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

2018 Casey Mittelstadt
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Dang his career and Middlestats keep aligning.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Poehling was an excellent performer all tournament long. He didn't come through at the end but was very very close. He shined about as brite as any other top performer but the question is... Is this it for him.. Is this his ceiling.

If so thats a great 4c.

What are you talking about?

The MVP of the world junior tournament is a great 4C. His ceiling has been reached he definitely will never ever develop. Hot cake take

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
maybe, maybe not, I don't put a lot of stock in the WJC's. Posters tend to get carried away with good or bad performances. Look at the posts from Lehkonen's last year in the WJC's at 19, he had 1 pt in the tournament, then look at what Collberg did at 17, he had 7 pts in 6 games. Ended up with 19 pts over 3 WJC's.

How good is Poehling? We won't know till we see him in the NHL, since last season in 52 games he's put up 48 pts, he plays on the top line for the best team in the NCAA this year and one of last year. Out of the 60 NCAA teams, SCSU has been top 2 or 3 in goals since last year. Poehling drives the play, he creates a lot of chances out there but SCSU is likely the deepest team in the NCAA at forward as they roll 4 strong lines that can beat any team in the NCAA. So how good is he vs being on such a good team. He's clearly a very good playmaker, he uses his size/strength well, has the speed/skating you want for today's NHL. So clearly all the physical tools are there, he's got a good skill level now we just need to see how good that skill level is.
Poehlin has size and speed, strength thou, to go with skill. Those kind of players usually transform better to NHL than a Suzuki type. More like a Tkaczuk with the Sens. Not that Suzuki can't do it, he may very well end up being the better NHLer. He just has more hurdles to overcome and generally takes longer.
Poehlin was best forward in tournament by country mile. Tournaments like WJC generally shows if their play rises or falls under pressure. Domi at '15 WJ in Montreal be an example. No doubt a reason why trade for him. Pressure here is a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->