Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I saw in the news somewhere recently that Poehling had reconsidered leaving college at the end of this season and might stay another year. Really hope he doesn't pull a Vesey.
Doesn’t make sense to me. He’d be 2 years away from that where he’d be likely in Montreal next year. And just following his Twitter, the guy is very happy to be a hab.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Doesn’t make sense to me. He’d be 2 years away from that where he’d be likely in Montreal next year. And just following his Twitter, the guy is very happy to be a hab.

He's also very proud to play for St-Cloud and to play with his brothers. Perhaps his education is important to him, and he wants to make sure to live these years of his life while he's still 19-20. Who knows what motivates him ?

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's also very proud to play for St-Cloud and to play with his brothers. Perhaps his education is important to him, and he wants to make sure to live these years of his life while he's still 19-20. Who knows what motivates him ?
Pretty sure his bros and most of his teammates are graduating.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Impressive how he has taking the lead on the US team that loss Hughes. I really hope he can continue this and become the a strong second line center for the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Impressive how he has taking the lead on the US team that loss Hughes. I really hope he can continue this and become the a strong second line center for the Habs.

The kid has game. Similar potential to Draisaitl in my opinion. Smart player with offensive skill and has the size/strength factor we are lacking. Too many people are attacking his offensive game where he has shown ability to produce while also not letting it affect his 200' game.

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
I saw in the news somewhere recently that Poehling had reconsidered leaving college at the end of this season and might stay another year. Really hope he doesn't pull a Vesey.
Vesey,Butcher,Kerfoot and Kevin Hayes all did that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’ve said it before but the guys that tend to “pull a Vesey” are college players drafted later (3rd round and up) that are probably brushed aside as generic prospects by their own team and then receive loads of attention once they break out. Poehling was a 1st rounder that has probably had ample communication with the Habs since Day 1.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’ve said it before but the guys that tend to “pull a Vesey” are college players drafted later (3rd round and up) that are probably brushed aside as generic prospects by their own team and then receive loads of attention once they break out. Poehling was a 1st rounder that has probably had ample communication with the Habs since Day 1.

Agreed. A lot has to go wrong for Poehling to pull a Vesey. Depending on how far St Cloud goes this year, Poehling might be signed before our season is over and he gets to burn his first year of ELC like Lindgren did. This would be very attractive to Poehling

One thing the Habs can do is sign Jummy Schuldt at the same time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Vesey,Butcher,Kerfoot and Kevin Hayes all did that.

Hayes is the only 1st round pick from this group. And if you read into it, the Blackhawks were being cheap in contract negotiations. Hayes also wanted the fasted route to the NHL as a center and the Blackhawks were cup contending team at that point.

Poehling has a spot in our top 3C in the future and the Habs won't be cheap with him. He will be getting the max 3 year ELC deal with bonus structure. He also can possibly burn one year on the ELC this year if he plays one game. Depends on how far his NCAA team goes this year.

Only in Habs land is where we start this kind of talk where Poehling will leave us. Our fan base always wants something to talk about. There is zero evidence of Poehling not wanting to sign an ELC with us. Lets talk about it "if" it happens

Reactions: jaffy27

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
And? Does not take away from his play.
Just stating a fact and it means he should be having a good tournament and being great at world juniors means nothing there have been many plays who have dominated the tournament and never went on to be stars.....Poehling is just doing what he is supposed to be doing.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Just stating a fact and it means he should be having a good tournament and being great at world juniors means nothing there have been many plays who have dominated the tournament and never went on to be stars.....Poehling is just doing what he is supposed to be doing.
Except he is having not only a good but great tournament so far.

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Yes, Poehling's performance doesn't "prove" anything, but it's ok to be happy and enthusiastic sometimes.

Jul 6, 2016
No teams would draft College players IF they knew they would not sign with them eventually. Very fewhigh drafted College kids are signing with another organisation.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, Poehling's performance doesn't "prove" anything, but it's ok to be happy and enthusiastic sometimes.

It don't prove anything for sure. But it does help you understand further what kind of player he can be once he turns pro. If he didn't play well, I'm sure the doubters would be all over it.

Poehling has game. I started to believe in him once he played his 2nd NCAA season and he was close to a pt/game player all season. Coaches love him and this means a lot. He's certainly addressed the lack of offense concern many people still continue to have.

Will he be a #2C for sure in the NHL? Nobody knows but he is trending in the right direction. His draft +1 and +2 years of development are impressive.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So the earliest we can sign him so that he is expansion draft exempt is July 1 right?

no they can sign him in April but the contract has to be for 2019-2020. The problem would be if he or the Habs wanted him for this year, then he'd sign for this season, would be an RFA a year soon and would need to be protected in the expansion draft.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think he could make this team next year if we transfer Domi to the wing.

Something like:

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Domi
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Poehling - Armia
Byron - Chaput - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Rielly - Petry
Brook - Juulsen
Kulak (if Brook has a bad camp)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think he could make this team next year if we transfer Domi to the wing.

Something like:

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Domi
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Poehling - Armia
Byron - Chaput - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Rielly - Petry
Brook - Juulsen
Kulak (if Brook has a bad camp)
No need to move Domi

Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen