Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think Poehling all but said he was one and done in NCAA and would sign with Habs next year. Something to the effect that they’ve been super interested and involved in through his entire college career and didn’t see why he wouldn’t sign with them. Add that he’s a big piece of the puzzle at center and there’s very little reason to believe he won’t sign.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
My worry isn't that he won't sign at all, it's that he gets caught up in the "college hockey is the greatest, and I'm the man here" mentality like Kristo did. He's got nothing left to learn next year, and a college championship would be awesome but it shouldn't be the be-all-end-all in terms of his goals. If they win this year, awesome, but if they lose I hope he decides to move on.

See it as a stepping stone, not the destination.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My worry isn't that he won't sign at all, it's that he gets caught up in the "college hockey is the greatest, and I'm the man here" mentality like Kristo did. He's got nothing left to learn next year, and a college championship would be awesome but it shouldn't be the be-all-end-all in terms of his goals. If they win this year, awesome, but if they lose I hope he decides to move on.

Most prospects want to be in the NHL as soon as they can and are eager to make a living at it. Kristo sounds and acted pretty immature even for a young guy, and was not serious about things. In that respect very atypical.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener

there is a difference.... I hope.
But I think Kristo was actually just plain stupid.
As in basic life functioning stupid.
The dude got frostbite on his foot because he forgot to wear shoes.
For me, it was all over after that.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I hope as well. Maybe it got lost in translation, but I wish there would have been a quote along the lines of "I'm really focused on this year, because this is probably my last shot at it" rather than "Who knows? If we don't win I might be back" kind of thing.

Again, probably not a reason to worry but still.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poeling starts to worry me a bit. I am not talking about his play but his commitment to the habs.

He still not have signed his contract and now he is talking about winning a championnship this year on next year for St-Cloud...what? what about trying to win in the NHL.

the guy is a first round pick so not exactly like Jake Evans.

Bergevin went so see him a month ago to talk with him... a bit strange when he knew that the habs would be in Minnesota today..

Last season he was happy to play with his brothers ...fine. But now he seems not very interesting to play for the Habs more than that . I hope I am wrong

not worried, if he wins a championship I think he signs for sure, if he doesn't then we'll see as this is his best shot at it sine he's on the top team in the NCAA and he would lose his most constant winger in Robby Jackson (was at our development camp)

Was Kristo the prospect that was out partying and ended up outside in minus whatever weather and almost had hypothermia ?

yes. He got suspended twice for drinking by his team as well.

Nothing is 100%, but the percentage of NHL drafted players in the NCAA that take advantage of this loophole is very very low...especially first rounders. I think Kevin Hayes was a first rounder, besides him i'm not sure how many other first rounders have done this.

Poehling doens't qualify for the loophole, only players that don't go directly to the NCAA can use the loophole.

Reactions: FrankMTL

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Most prospects want to be in the NHL as soon as they can and are eager to make a living at it. Kristo sounds and acted pretty immature even for a young guy, and was not serious about things. In that respect very atypical.

Kristo was an idiot , partied hard and nearly lost his foot to frostbite. Worst part is that he seemed to really have the talent , could skate and had offensive skill to boot.

He simply lacked the discipline required to make the NHL.

Last edited:

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Sign his 2 brothers to ahl contracts if that is what it takes to sign Ryan... Even if his twin bros are very underwhelming we can send them to east coast when ryans ready for the show

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Sign his 2 brothers to ahl contracts if that is what it takes to sign Ryan... Even if his twin bros are very underwhelming we can send them to east coast when ryans ready for the show

An invite to camp or something

Reactions: KKWG11

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Only 3 goals, not too happy with that

he's got to shoot more, but yes it's not good to see him go from 14 last year to just 3 so far. Would have liked to see him produce more this year seeing as how he's on the top team in the NCAA and one of the highest scoring again (Penn State leads the NCAA by a huge amount, SCSU is 2nd or 3rd). He's on pace for 38 pts if he plays the same number of games as last year.

I think he's 9th or so in the NCAA in ppg for U-20 players, I know Stapley is a few spots behind him, 12th or so a .86 ppg.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
he's got to shoot more, but yes it's not good to see him go from 14 last year to just 3 so far. Would have liked to see him produce more this year seeing as how he's on the top team in the NCAA and one of the highest scoring again (Penn State leads the NCAA by a huge amount, SCSU is 2nd or 3rd). He's on pace for 38 pts if he plays the same number of games as last year.

I think he's 9th or so in the NCAA in ppg for U-20 players, I know Stapley is a few spots behind him, 12th or so a .86 ppg.
I mean I seriously question if he can score goals at the NHL level. That's why I can't see him being a 2nd line center.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He was completely shitfaced, he didn't casually ''forget'' to wear his shoes like he was going out to run normal errands.

Reactions: jaffy27

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think Poehling all but said he was one and done in NCAA and would sign with Habs next year. Something to the effect that they’ve been super interested and involved in through his entire college career and didn’t see why he wouldn’t sign with them. Add that he’s a big piece of the puzzle at center and there’s very little reason to believe he won’t sign.
A big piece of the puzzle? He's playing college hockey man. Hold your horses mate.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mean I seriously question if he can score goals at the NHL level. That's why I can't see him being a 2nd line center.

He'll score goals in the NHL just to what degree is anyones guess. I've been saying I think he ends up a very solid 3rd liner on a contending team but at worst a 4th liner due to being such a safe player with good physical tools (speed, skating, strength, size). He certainly creates a lot of offense especially with his speed, I'm just not sure where his offensive upside really is.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Having a down year goal scoring wise for sure, but he did score 14 goals last season which is good

Also, Brady Tkachuk, who had 8 goals in 40 games in the NCAA last year and was supposedly a terrible goalscorer, well he has 9 goals in 21 nhl games this season...

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

I can’t remember anyone suggesting him as being a #2 C. By the time he makes it to the Habs, we are hoping our top 2 C will be Domi and KK. There is also the possibility of Susuki. Poehling has always been considered a 3C. If he competes for #2, then great.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I can’t remember anyone suggesting him as being a #2 C. By the time he makes it to the Habs, we are hoping our top 2 C will be Domi and KK. There is also the possibility of Susuki. Poehling has always been considered a 3C. If he competes for #2, then great.

I think many hoped he had top 6 upside, or at least low 2c upside

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Yeah , I sure as heck was looking at him as a possible no.2C, not a 1C, but a 2C.

If he turns into a 3C to me that is a miss. We need to average about one top player per draft, TT needs to hit on a bunch.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They have one year left. Yes

Worst case scenario... if he does leave the habs would get a 2nd round pick as compensation from the league (25th pick of the second round)

I think he could possibly play another NCAA year and we could still sign him. But it if goes past this NCAA year and he don't turn pro and sign a ELC with the Habs, I start to have doubts. Don't see it getting to that though

Middle 2C is a safe bet IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dralaf

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
A big piece of the puzzle? He's playing college hockey man. Hold your horses mate.

So we should discount and ignore any prospect before they’re NHLers no matter how promising they are?? Forget Suzuki, Brook, Poehling etc. and just assume they’ll all be busts and not consider any affect they may have as early as next year?

Nahhh.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He reminds me of pacioretty in his " im want to be the best " attitude. I think he is going to be good.

Agreed. His commitment to get better and better is there. It's important in development. Big mobile strong center that is defensive aware and has some offensive ability. I like Poehling's game. An upgrade on Danault IMO. At some point when Poehling is NHL ready (possibily next year), I'd like to see Danault move to LW and mentor him on a shutdown 3rd line for his first NHL season.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad