Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling is a lock, Primeau should be a lock as well.

What about Olofsson and Romanov? Not sure if they are locks but I think the probability is they make it at this stage right?

Kotkaniemi: A lock if he is allowed to go
Suzuki and Brook: Should make it if they don't screw up in warm up games?
Poehling and Primeau: Locks to make that US team. I agree. Is Primeau the projected starter? Who is his competition?
Romanov and Olofsson: I believe they probability make it.
Ikonen: No idea. He made the team last year but has been hurt. He is scheduled to return to the ice sometime late December to mid January. Not sure he makes that tournament now.

6 players and Kotkaniemi makes 7. Are we missing anybody?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Olofsson is a lock, Romanov I could see him making it.

Primeau is a lock to be there but not sure who will get the nod. Knight is likely his competition from the USNDTP, but Primeau's assistant coach is an assistant coach for Team USA so he'll likely have good things to say about Primeau although he hasn't been as good this year.

Ikonen is unlikely unless he returns real soon cause you don't want to give a spot to a guy that hasn't played since last year.

So probably 6 Habs prospect to watch (7 with Kotkaniemi). I wonder how far back we have to go where we had 6 guys in the tournament? And what roles they played with their country (top of the line-up or bottom type players)

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
What about Olofsson and Romanov? Not sure if they are locks but I think the probability is they make it at this stage right?

Kotkaniemi: A lock if he is allowed to go
Suzuki and Brook: Should make it if they don't screw up in warm up games?
Poehling and Primeau: Locks to make that US team. I agree. Is Primeau the projected starter? Who is his competition?
Romanov and Olofsson: I believe they probability make it.
Ikonen: No idea. He made the team last year but has been hurt. He is scheduled to return to the ice sometime late December to mid January. Not sure he makes that tournament now.

6 players and Kotkaniemi makes 7. Are we missing anybody?

Suzuki and Brook are locks as is ylonen for Finland. Man oh man .What a turnaround for our farm system and in 2 years as well.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
We did well in the 17 and 18 drafts. Lets see what kind of impact they make against players their own age in a very competitive tournament

I like the fact that Romanov played 18 minutes in his last KHL game. His team has allowed the less amount of goal in the league, with 38 in 35 games. I'd say they play a good defensive system and considering the fluctuation of his ice-time, it seems he can follow it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like the fact that Romanov played 18 minutes in his last KHL game. His team has allowed the less amount of goal in the league, with 38 in 35 games. I'd say they play a good defensive system and considering the fluctuation of his ice-time, it seems he can follow it.

Romanov making the KHL as a 18 year old is impressive. They obviously value him and his skating ability. Lets see how much better he can get moving forward. Will be nice to see him in the U20's too

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling is a lock, Primeau should be a lock as well.
Has Poehling’s game taken another step this season? His numbers are not exactly eye popping....any thoughts on his overall game from last year to this year?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Has Poehling’s game taken another step this season? His numbers are not exactly eye popping....any thoughts on his overall game from last year to this year?

he looks faster but he's not playing a ton, his team rolls 4 lines no matter the score. I'm not sold on him being a 2nd line center on a top team, I see him as more of a 3rd liner for us.

Reactions: Tyson

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Weren’t we saying (or at least a few) the same thing about Tkachuk last year....no progression, 9 goals in the NCAA, how could he possibly produce in the NHL....:sarcasm:

Not worried about Poehling

Reactions: dralaf

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Weren’t we saying (or at least a few) the same thing about Tkachuk last year....no progression, 9 goals in the NCAA, how could he possibly produce in the NHL....:sarcasm:

Not worried about Poehling
I am sure he is a future NHLer, how good he will be remains to be seen

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A point per game pace is pretty good imo

It's ok. For reference Danny Kristo was over a ppg his last 2 seasons including a 1.3 his Senior year as his line was the best in the NCAA and he was likely the 2nd best player in the league or close to it. Not comparing them as they are polar opposites as Kristo didn't work hard and was often in trouble off the ice whereas Poehling just looks like a pro out there doing all the little things right. Just pointing out that the stats can be misleading.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

xxx - Weber
Mete - Juulsen
Romanov- Brook

Me likes the future but we gotta find that true top LD somehow

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's ok. For reference Danny Kristo was over a ppg his last 2 seasons including a 1.3 his Senior year as his line was the best in the NCAA and he was likely the 2nd best player in the league or close to it. Not comparing them as they are polar opposites as Kristo didn't work hard and was often in trouble off the ice whereas Poehling just looks like a pro out there doing all the little things right. Just pointing out that the stats can be misleading.
To be fair, Kristo had his best season in his D+5 season. Poehling, in his D+2 season is easily out producing Kristo at the same age and in fewer minutes. Combine this with the fact that Poehling's offense is totaly translatable to the pro game. I remember questioning whether Kristo's production was translatable......for good reason apparently. Like you said, "stats can be misleading" , this is a prime example. I think Poehling will be more productive than people think. I feel like he will thrive playing with players with high hockey IQ's.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be fair, Kristo had his best season in his D+5 season. Poehling, in his D+2 season is easily out producing Kristo at the same age and in fewer minutes. Combine this with the fact that Poehling's offense is totaly translatable to the pro game. I remember questioning whether Kristo's production was translatable......for good reason apparently. Like you said, "stats can be misleading" , this is a prime example. I think Poehling will be more productive than people think. I feel like he will thrive playing with players with high hockey IQ's.

it wasn't meant to compare them as players just pointing out that a ppg isn't all that impressive without context. Poehling plays for the top team in the NCAA and the 2nd best offense in the NCAA again. Kristo played for a top program as well, but didn't go directly to the NCAA since he was undersized unlike Poehling who is physically mature and advanced his NCAA time.

At 19, Kristo was a Freshman and he had a .88 ppg, so not far from a full ppg, which we'll see what Poehling ends up with. He had injuries the next season and dropped to a .82 but then had a 1.07 and a 1.3 ppg the next 2 seasons. He didn't work hard enough, but had the skill for sure, his speed and shot were very good but some kids think they can get away with just talent and clearly he couldn't.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
xxx - Weber
Mete - Juulsen
Romanov- Brook

Me likes the future but we gotta find that true top LD somehow

imo it's better to have an elite/high end RD playing the left side than a run of the mill to borderline NHLer, a la Schlemko, playing LD.

At some point players like Petry, Weber, and future right D's have to suck it up and play the right side, play through the initial hiccups, and enjoy all the one timers they'll get in the offensive zone. It was nice to see Weber wind up on the right side a lot in the offensive zone recently and uncork his one timer 5 on 5. He even scored on one of them.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Article about Poehling so far this season. Nothing earth shattering, but it mentions that Poehling is just concentrated on this season and winning St Cloud's first ever championship. He hasn't thought about if he will join the Habs at the end of the season or not. His coach knows he can probably play on a 3rd or 4th line in the NHL right now, but he (jokingly) mentioned that he'll tell Poehling he's not ready yet to keep him another year at St Cloud. Poehling also mentioned their captain Jimmy Schuldt coming back for his final year to try and win a championship and that he could have signed as a Free Agent with pretty much any team last summer.

I'd love the Habs to get their hands on Schuldt. Apparently they're interested in him (like pretty much all NHL teams), but hopefully the fact that we do have spots available right away on defence (and the fact that Poehling is part of the organization) can sway him to us.

Poehling ne pense pas au CH... pour le moment - TVA Sports

Also this article about his play so far this season. His coach says he's one of the best every game. He's a player that's just as strong on defense as offence. He's a complete player basically. He often starts plays from his own zone and with his speed, he's able to catch up the play and join his teammates in the offensive zone. His objective was to score 20 goals this year, but says that as long as he's setting up goals for his teammates, it's almost as good. Mentions that he (obviously) wants to win gold with the US WJC team.

Ryan Poehling, plus complet que jamais - TVA Sports

Last edited:

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Poeling starts to worry me a bit. I am not talking about his play but his commitment to the habs.

He still not have signed his contract and now he is talking about winning a championnship this year on next year for St-Cloud...what? what about trying to win in the NHL.

the guy is a first round pick so not exactly like Jake Evans.

Bergevin went so see him a month ago to talk with him... a bit strange when he knew that the habs would be in Minnesota today..

Last season he was happy to play with his brothers ...fine. But now he seems not very interesting to play for the Habs more than that . I hope I am wrong

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
it wasn't meant to compare them as players just pointing out that a ppg isn't all that impressive without context. Poehling plays for the top team in the NCAA and the 2nd best offense in the NCAA again. Kristo played for a top program as well, but didn't go directly to the NCAA since he was undersized unlike Poehling who is physically mature and advanced his NCAA time.

At 19, Kristo was a Freshman and he had a .88 ppg, so not far from a full ppg, which we'll see what Poehling ends up with. He had injuries the next season and dropped to a .82 but then had a 1.07 and a 1.3 ppg the next 2 seasons. He didn't work hard enough, but had the skill for sure, his speed and shot were very good but some kids think they can get away with just talent and clearly he couldn't.

Was Kristo the prospect that was out partying and ended up outside in minus whatever weather and almost had hypothermia ?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Poeling starts to worry me a bit. I am not talking about his play but his commitment to the habs.

He still not have signed his contract and now he is talking about winning a championnship this year on next year for St-Cloud...what? what about trying to win in the NHL.

the guy is a first round pick so not exactly like Jake Evans.

Bergevin went so see him a month ago to talk with him... a bit strange when he knew that the habs would be in Minnesota today..

Last season he was happy to play with his brothers ...fine. But now he seems not very interesting to play for the Habs more than that . I hope I am wrong

You are.

He'll turn pro as soon as his season ends and he'll sign his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->