Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Agreed. His commitment to get better and better is there. It's important in development. Big mobile strong center that is defensive aware and has some offensive ability. I like Poehling's game. An upgrade on Danault IMO. At some point when Poehling is NHL ready (possibily next year), I'd like to see Danault move to LW and mentor him on a shutdown 3rd line for his first NHL season.

Do you think kotkas game progresses enough to move up to 2nd though? Wouldnt suzuki and him ( poehling ) be better served getting at least 1 year in the A at this point? As soon as next year because both are in their last junior days?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you think kotkas game progresses enough to move up to 2nd though? Wouldnt suzuki and him ( poehling ) be better served getting at least 1 year in the A at this point?

We will know more as the season goes along. Not saying Poehling makes the NHL team for sure next year but it's very possible. The real question is if Poehling and Suzuki are both NHL ready, that makes the top 9 even more competitive. Time will reveal a lot. We have the rest of this season, the off season, and training camp.

It comes down to the Habs direction with me. If the plan (I don't agree with this plan) is to continue to try to make the playoffs "where anything can happen", then yeah, Poehling and Suzuki play AHL next year. If we want to take another step in the youth movement, then we have roster issues to sort out.

12 players fighting for 9 spots.... Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Shaw, Danault, Poehling, Suzuki

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
We will know more as the season goes along. Not saying Poehling makes the NHL team for sure next year but it's very possible. The real question is if Poehling and Suzuki are both NHL ready, that makes the top 9 even more competitive. Time will reveal a lot. We have the rest of this season, the off season, and training camp.

Say suzuki and poehling make the A and play with the rocket. Who are their wingers? Are there any other prospects eligible to go to the rocket with potential?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Say suzuki and poehling make the A and play with the rocket. Who are their wingers? Are there any other prospects eligible to go to the rocket with potential?

Not really. We do have other centers in Evans and Alain. Is Evans NHL ready next year for a 4th line role? Not sure. Vejdemo might be a good fit with Poehling on the wing. Not sure if they play Suzuki at center or RW in Laval. If so, Poehling and Suzuki would be good fits as well. We would also have Brook in the mix on D. Our best winger prospects (Ylonen, Ikonen) are going to play in Europe. Do they bring McCarron back? Not sure

More likely, they target depth talent on two way contracts that have a good AHL track record to play wing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So we should discount and ignore any prospect before they’re NHLers no matter how promising they are?? Forget Suzuki, Brook, Poehling etc. and just assume they’ll all be busts and not consider any affect they may have as early as next year?

Nahhh.

All busts? So you only work in extremes I guess?
Claiming that Poe is a big piece of the puzzle for us...when he's still in college, with 3 goals....is one heck of a gigantic leap.
Doesn't make him a bust at all. But to speak of him like a surefire bet at this point in time is foolish. Even if you are super convinced that he will be good for us, there's no reason for you not to acknowledge that it is still very early to make such a conclusion.

Kotkaniemi is on our team, he's a 3rd overall selection, and even for him we don't really know yet just how good he will be. We don't even know if he'll end up being a big piece of the puzzle for us. So as I said, hold your horses.
Nothing wrong with being excited about a prospect, but chill out. Just because others find it way too early to claim he'll be big for us while he's still playing college hockey and with a whopping 3 goals so far, doesn't mean they think he'll bust.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Poehling doens't qualify for the loophole, only players that don't go directly to the NCAA can use the loophole.

I didn't know this it's great to hear should end the signing or not discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
All busts? So you only work in extremes I guess?
Claiming that Poe is a big piece of the puzzle for us...when he's still in college, with 3 goals....is one heck of a gigantic leap.
Doesn't make him a bust at all. But to speak of him like a surefire bet at this point in time is foolish. Even if you are super convinced that he will be good for us, there's no reason for you not to acknowledge that it is still very early to make such a conclusion.

Kotkaniemi is on our team, he's a 3rd overall selection, and even for him we don't really know yet just how good he will be. We don't even know if he'll end up being a big piece of the puzzle for us. So as I said, hold your horses.
Nothing wrong with being excited about a prospect, but chill out. Just because others find it way too early to claim he'll be big for us while he's still playing college hockey and with a whopping 3 goals so far, doesn't mean they think he'll bust.

I'm countering your extremism with my own. You're making it sound as if our best prospects should not be taken into consideration which is a mistake. Not saying you guarantee them a roster spot but if you can't project that they'll be in the lineup, then they aren't really prospects of any caliber which just isn't the case.

In all likelihood, we'll have Poehling and Suzuki playing in the NHL by as early as 2019-2020 season and we already have a log jam at center. At some point, if you don't proactively make adjustments, than it's harder to accomplish at the time because everyone knows you have a problem and will want to exploit it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't know this it's great to hear should end the signing or not discussion.

not really as any prospect can refuse to sign with their NHL club.

With the NCAA there is the loophole, which is if you are drafted but don't go directly to the NCAA. So say said prospect was drafted in '17 out of the USHS and the next year he went to the USHL and then the following year he goes to the NCAA. He would then qualify for the loophole, which means that after his Junior year, he can inform his team that he is going to become a UFA on July 1st.

Now in the case of Poehling he doesn't qualify for that loophole since he was drafted out of the NCAA. So what he can do is if he returns for his Senior year next season, at the end he can refuse to sign with the Habs and become a UFA on August 15th, 2020. The Habs would then get the 56th overall pick in the '21 draft.

But any player can do this. Hillis, McShane, etc.. The panthers drafted Mascherin out of the OHL and he refused to sign with them. Now he's with Dallas and having a big year as a rookie in the AHL.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
not really as any prospect can refuse to sign with their NHL club.

With the NCAA there is the loophole, which is if you are drafted but don't go directly to the NCAA. So say said prospect was drafted in '17 out of the USHS and the next year he went to the USHL and then the following year he goes to the NCAA. He would then qualify for the loophole, which means that after his Junior year, he can inform his team that he is going to become a UFA on July 1st.

Now in the case of Poehling he doesn't qualify for that loophole since he was drafted out of the NCAA. So what he can do is if he returns for his Senior year next season, at the end he can refuse to sign with the Habs and become a UFA on August 15th, 2020. The Habs would then get the 56th overall pick in the '21 draft.

But any player can do this. Hillis, McShane, etc.. The panthers drafted Mascherin out of the OHL and he refused to sign with them. Now he's with Dallas and having a big year as a rookie in the AHL.
Ah well that's disappointing but I still fully expect him to sign with Montreal

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Our prospects not signing in Montreal is something I've never been worried about. It's the winningest franchise in NHL history (although it hasn't seemed like it...) - it would be shocking to see kids sign elsewhere. FA's are different seeing as it's often a money question.

Reactions: habsfan891

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I do as well, we'll see how they do in the playoffs and at the NCAA tournament, last year they did a major choke job in the tournament so hopefully this year they go all the way as they have the depth and firepower to get it done.

Reactions: habsfan891

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I do as well, we'll see how they do in the playoffs and at the NCAA tournament, last year they did a major choke job in the tournament so hopefully this year they go all the way as they have the depth and firepower to get it done.

Poehling has 3 goals - is he forgetting to shoot again?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling has 3 goals - is he forgetting to shoot again?

he's always been a pass first guy but this year he's just not shooting enough. we'll see what happens in the 2nd half as that's when the schedule usually gets tougher and is mostly conference games but hopefully he starts potting a few more.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
he's always been a pass first guy but this year he's just not shooting enough. we'll see what happens in the 2nd half as that's when the schedule usually gets tougher and is mostly conference games but hopefully he starts potting a few more.

From what I saw of a few of his games last year he has a good shot. Strange he doesn't use it!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm countering your extremism with my own. You're making it sound as if our best prospects should not be taken into consideration which is a mistake. Not saying you guarantee them a roster spot but if you can't project that they'll be in the lineup, then they aren't really prospects of any caliber which just isn't the case.

In all likelihood, we'll have Poehling and Suzuki playing in the NHL by as early as 2019-2020 season and we already have a log jam at center. At some point, if you don't proactively make adjustments, than it's harder to accomplish at the time because everyone knows you have a problem and will want to exploit it.
You did not just project they were in the lineup, you said ''Poehling will be a big piece of the puzzle''. I would have never objected if you said Poe will be part of our team.
I opposed your view that he'll be a very key player for us, and for the record, I didn't say it was impossible, I simply stated that it's too early to say this.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You did not just project they were in the lineup, you said ''Poehling will be a big piece of the puzzle''. I would have never objected if you said Poe will be part of our team.
I opposed your view that he'll be a very key player for us, and for the record, I didn't say it was impossible, I simply stated that it's too early to say this.

We’ll agree to disagree on how impactful Poehling will be then.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Poehling is a team guy first, he doesn't care about individual stats and all he wants is to win hockey games. His great leadership is also contagious and a huge bonus for a team. With the way he plays the game I'm confident he is the type of player that will look even better by playing with nhlers and that's what makes me also believe he'll be a solid 2way top6 centerman for the Habs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Poehling is a team guy first, he doesn't care about individual stats and all he wants is to win hockey games. His great leadership is also contagious and a huge bonus for a team. With the way he plays the game I'm confident he is the type of player that will look even better by playing with nhlers and that's what makes me also believe he'll be a solid 2-way top6 centerman for the Habs.

It's nice to be optimistic, but what makes us think his play in college was any better than Phil Danault's was in Major Junior, which got him a first-round selection as well? Danault is a good player that many nevertheless do not think is a top-6.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I don't think he has the offensive upside to be a top 6. He looks like a good 2-way 3rd line center. Usually TT's specialty-bottom 6 players.

Reactions: bsl

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Poehling is a team guy first, he doesn't care about individual stats and all he wants is to win hockey games. His great leadership is also contagious and a huge bonus for a team. With the way he plays the game I'm confident he is the type of player that will look even better by playing with nhlers and that's what makes me also believe he'll be a solid 2way top6 centerman for the Habs.
That's nice and dandy but individual stats is very important to determine the actual skills of a young player. If he doesn't produce all that much in lower leagues, good luck doing it in the pros.
He's still putting up about 1ppg, so I'm not saying he isn't doing well, but his 3 goals are a bit underwhelming. Doesn't mean he won't be a NHLer.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
That's nice and dandy but individual stats is very important to determine the actual skills of a young player. If he doesn't produce all that much in lower leagues, good luck doing it in the pros.
He's still putting up about 1ppg, so I'm not saying he isn't doing well, but his 3 goals are a bit underwhelming. Doesn't mean he won't be a NHLer.

I gotta agree. Intangibles and soft skills are important and Poehling does strike me as a team player and hard worker.

He is producing in college, but yeah, his goal totals are a little disappointing as it is way behind his pace last season and actually behind the pace of his draft year which was his first in college. That said, he is racking up assists though I don't know how many are primary.

Reactions: dralaf

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't think he has the offensive upside to be a top 6. He looks like a good 2-way 3rd line center. Usually TT's specialty-bottom 6 players.

I see him as a Ryan Kesler type center. Won’t get a ton of points but you can put him out against anyone and he can neutralize that line and add some physicality.

Reactions: dralaf and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I see him as a Ryan Kesler type center. Won’t get a ton of points but you can put him out against anyone and he can neutralize that line and add some physicality.
That would be nice.........heard Dave Poulin speak about the Habs at centre for next year, and he mentioned, if all goes well, Domi/Koko/Poehling/Suzuki all with the club next year...and their C depth the best it has been in many years!

Somewhere though, Gaston Therrien heard about this, and lost it because there was no mention of PD. lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Poehling would have to hate Montreal a lot in order to not turn pro at the end of this season. Fastest way to the NHL is to turn Pro and probability says Poehling will. So if he want's to turn pro this year, he has to sign with the Habs. If he hates the Habs, he plays one more year of NCAA is is one more year separated from getting beyond his ELC and then making the real money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->