Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Poehling isn't overly physical and he needs some work on his defensive game, his best assets are his speed, playmaking, carrying the puck up ice.
I'm not a big fan of him. Not a bad pick, but I am jealous of some players drafted after him. Hope he proves me wrong.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He is more than likely gone from the NCAA after this year. Anyone ever think that he is playing the game his coach wants him to play in regards to his production, while developing his squad that will be around for a few more years? Just speculation as a fan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not a big fan of him. Not a bad pick, but I am jealous of some players drafted after him. Hope he proves me wrong.

looks like they went the safer route so they may end up with a few guys picked after him that have higher upside. I have seen a ton of Poehling, I like him a lot but not sold on his offensive upside, that said I think he'll be a very solid NHLer.

Reactions: Fixxer

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
If poehling stays in the ncaa in order to become UFA and sign where ever he wants, i’m gonna flip a table.
I'm hoping he signs at the end of the season. Regardless of what he said earlier it could be the best option for everyone

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I think Poehling is being underrated in this thread. His goalscoring totals aren't where they were last year and he probably will never be a goalscoring center in the NHL. I think he will be a 2C that makes everyone around him better. Just a beast.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Meh, Poehling looks to be too safe of a player. We have too much crap just like him. Trade him before people see he ain't much special.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Meh, Poehling looks to be too safe of a player. We have too much crap just like him. Trade him before people see he ain't much special.
Marlin_Lure_Attack.gif

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think earlier in the season there was an interview posted where MB or Timmins said that they were planning on having both Suzuki and Poehling join the Habs after their seasons were done this year. I think there is almost 0 chance Poehling goes back for his senior year, but it would be a bad sign. It would be crazy if both of Suzuki and Poehling were NHL ready at the end of this season and we could add them for the playoffs

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I think earlier in the season there was an interview posted where MB or Timmins said that they were planning on having both Suzuki and Poehling join the Habs after their seasons were done this year. I think there is almost 0 chance Poehling goes back for his senior year, but it would be a bad sign. It would be crazy if both of Suzuki and Poehling were NHL ready at the end of this season and we could add them for the playoffs

Drouin, J.Domi, M.Suzuki, N.
Tatar, T.Danault, P.Gallagher, B.
Byron, P.Kotkaniemi, J.Lehkonen, A. / Armia, J.
Agostino, K.Poehling, R.Armia, J. / Shaw, A.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That looks like a nice lineup. Would be interested to see how it goes, and if Poehling's good enough to be anything more than a bottom-6 center.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Drouin, J.Domi, M.Suzuki, N.
Tatar, T.Danault, P.Gallagher, B.
Byron, P.Kotkaniemi, J.Lehkonen, A. / Armia, J.
Agostino, K.Poehling, R.Armia, J. / Shaw, A.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That looks like a nice lineup. Would be interested to see how it goes, and if Poehling's good enough to be anything more than a bottom-6 center.

They are 3 things that I don't like in your lineup

- Kk will probably be on the 2nd line next year
- Suzuki on the 1st line is to early. Give him time to developpe
- I prefer to see Poehling on the 1st line in Laval en on the 4th

Reactions: Fixxer and ottawa

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If poehling stays in the ncaa in order to become UFA and sign where ever he wants, i’m gonna flip a table.

I usually trust W3K and his reaction to when Poehling was drafted by the Habs, is quite honest, to say the least:

He sucks.

He won't ever be a regular for us.

Next.

Based on what? A season where he was the youngest in the entire NCAA?

Based on his lack of offensive tools.

Find footage of him doing anything but tipping pucks.

Stop looking at production. It's about skills. You're blind if you can find anything Poehling does better offensively other than tipping pucks.
If he can't create, can't stick handle, can't pass and cant shoot. How will you produce?

Lars Eller had more raw skill than this guy.

And then, there was this unfortunate moment when Poehling was reminded that his uncle Stan Palmer was drafted by the Habs in 1977, as part of the question he was asked, where the interviewer said it was a kind of poetry for him to be drafted by the same team ... and he goes and answers "to get drafted by an organization like Toronto, uh ... Montreal, is just an honor and I'm very excited it happened."

If there is any doubt that this guy is going to bolt, he's the prospect we should be looking to move.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I usually trust W3K and his reaction to when Poehling was drafted by the Habs, is quite honest, to day the least:

And then, there was this unfortunate moment when Poehling was reminded that his uncle Stan Palmer was drafted by the Habs in 1977, as part of the question he was asked, where the interviewer said it was a kind of poetry for him to be drafted by the same team ... and he goes and answers "to get drafted by an organization like Toronto, uh ... Montreal, is just an honor and I'm very excited it happened."

If there is any doubt that this guy is going to bolt, he's the prospect we should be looking to move.

You really think he could not be signing here because he make a mistake on probably his 1st big interview on the day the most stressful in his life ?

Reactions: dralaf

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You really think he could not be signing here because he make a mistake on probably his 1st big interview on the day the most stressful in his life ?

I never said that. Reading comprehension is not your forte, I see.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's exactly why I am saying we should trade him for a top 4 LHD of the same age

I agree that Poehling could be used in a deal to acquire a top 4 LHD, but I don't think that using Poehling alone will get you a prime asset. Poehling could be one of the pieces you use, but you'd have to add. Just target a team that has excess LHD prospects and who is short at center depth.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was more a question but happy that it's not what you mean !!

Sometimes, I post stuff anecdotally, as a means of remembering what happened within a given timeline. I did not judge the player based on this -- which is why I preceded the reference with the word "unfortunately". It was the guy's biggest moment as a player and he sadly made a mistake. It doesn't make him a better or worse pick on account of it. Shit happens.

Now, if he stays in the NCAA, becomes a free agent and eventually signs with Toronto -- you can bet someone will bring this up again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad