Proposal: Ryan O'Reilly

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
the offers are so bad because he doesn't fill a need on the Bruins at all and carries a big cap hit. What would you be willing to give up for what would be your 3rd line center with a 5 million cap hit signed for one year. It would not be a young guy like Hamilton I bet.

to continue - the leafs on the other hand should be willing to give up more as they are in more of a need for a center then the Bruins are. It's not just about the player its about the need and fit on the team talking trade.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Well then you have a severely lacking amount of knowledge towards the Avs and Oreilly.

Some of these proposals are worse then Leafs fans offers.

As some of my fellow Avs fans have suggested, the conversation basically starts with Dougie Hamilton.

Anything else and were not interested.

And when it comes down to it, whether Avs fans, Bruins fans or Leaf fans, it doesn't matter who we have interest in when dealing a player.

What matters is what management wants/is interested in.

The end.

member 96824

My favorite..."He only put up 50 points no thanks" or "he's only scored 30 goals once, no thanks"

Imagine if people said that about Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, etc. etc....the horror!

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Well then you have a severely lacking amount of knowledge towards the Avs and Oreilly.

Some of these proposals are worse then Leafs fans offers.

As some of my fellow Avs fans have suggested, the conversation basically starts with Dougie Hamilton.

Anything else and were not interested.

We'll see man, we'll see. Certainly doesn't look good considering what went on last season. Shouldn't have had to sign an offer sheet in the first place if there wasn't an issue.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

My favorite..."He only put up 50 points no thanks" or "he's only scored 30 goals once, no thanks"

Imagine if people said that about Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, etc. etc....the horror!

Go into the trade forum and browse the winnipeg/boston trade proposal apparently to some Jets fans it's Kane > Marchand and Lucic

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I really don't even get why Bruins fans are interested in him, his cap hit is huge and he is a center which is the Bruins deepest position.

the offers are so bad because he doesn't fill a need on the Bruins at all and carries a big cap hit. What would you be willing to give up for what would be your 3rd line center with a 5 million cap hit signed for one year. It would not be a young guy like Hamilton I bet.

Agree with this. He plays a Bruins type game, but the Bruins have guys who play that same game. With Bergeron on the team, the value O'Reilly brings is diminished. Just doesn't fit any need and at his cap hit it isn't worth paying the premium price to get him.

member 96824

Go into the trade forum and browse the winnipeg/boston trade proposal apparently to some Jets fans it's Kane > Marchand and Lucic

Thats one of the things im referencing to.

A bruins fan said "Kanes only hit 30 once."

And fwiw, kane is better than Marchand. Lucic no, but I would absolutely take Evander Kane at the expense of Marchand.

member 96824

Who is this in reference to?

How many times has O'Reilly scored 30? The same amount of times he's scored 20. Zero.

The 30 is referencing to the kane thread, 50 this thread.

Its funny, we always talk about how much value our players have outside of a score sheet but many dismiss that any other player could as well. ROR is very bergeronesque, more grit less fundamental though..but not a guy at all that you look at a score sheet and say "Look at his stats, dont want."

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
ROR also plays left wing, FYI.

The Bruins love being strong down the middle. Remember when we had Savard, Bergeron, and Krejci?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

ROR also plays left wing, FYI.

The Bruins love being strong down the middle. Remember when we had Savard, Bergeron, and Krejci?

Yup he could be a LW/C on the team and say Bergy or DK get injured he could step in.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
We're talking about dealing a roster winger for him.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

I missed who's fighting facts in this thread too.

O'Reilly just isn't a prolific goal scorer which is really the only area I see the Bruins maybe having a weakness up front. The Bruins are loaded with guys who can play a two-way grinding game. At his cap hit and what it costs to give up I just don't see the Bruins being better in the short team making a deal for him.

O'Reilly is a great, young player and as a local guy I'm glad he's doing well.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The 30 is referencing to the kane thread, 50 this thread.

Its funny, we always talk about how much value our players have outside of a score sheet but many dismiss that any other player could as well. ROR is very bergeronesque, more grit less fundamental though..but not a guy at all that you look at a score sheet and say "Look at his stats, dont want."

I hope I don't come across as though I'm dismissing that. I'm not. I think O'Reilly is an excellent player and I'd be proud to have him on the Bruins.

I don't think he's a $6.5M/yr(+) guy though. And I don't see him as an upgrade to Marchand, especially given the salary difference.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
We're talking about dealing a roster winger for him.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

The original question was "what would you give up for him?"

Its already been mentioned here - why give up anything? Why not wait until his contract expires, and make an offer? Then you're only giving up picks.

Not everyone is talking about dealing a roster player.

I missed who's fighting facts in this thread too.

No one is fighting fact, just not mentioning all the facts. It took 3 pages of posts before it came up. The argument is that ROR is a center and that he doesn't fit in because of Bergeron and Krejci.

Fact is, he can play left wing as well. Doesn't have to fit behind Bergeron and Krejci.

member 96824

The original question was "what would you give up for him?"

Its already been mentioned here - why give up anything? Why not wait until his contract expires, and make an offer? Then you're only giving up picks.

Not everyone is talking about dealing a roster player.

No one is fighting fact, just not mentioning all the facts. It took 3 pages of posts before it came up. The argument is that ROR is a center and that he doesn't fit in because of Bergeron and Krejci.

Fact is, he can play left wing as well. Doesn't have to fit behind Bergeron and Krejci.

I would argue he fits great behind Bergeron and Krejci.

O'Reilly-Spooner-Smith

O'Reilly steps in on nights Spooner struggles from the dot.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
O'Reilly-Spooner-Smith

next year, that's a incredible, extremely versatile top 9 that can do it on both ends, bang you around, and gun up and down the ice.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I would argue he fits great behind Bergeron and Krejci.

O'Reilly-Spooner-Smith

O'Reilly steps in on nights Spooner struggles from the dot.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
O'Reilly-Spooner-Smith

next year, that's a incredible, extremely versatile top 9 that can do it on both ends, bang you around, and gun up and down the ice.

Iggy may be gone and I doubt we could afford Iggy and ROR. if Iggy leaves could be something like

Lucic Krejci Eriksson
Marchand Bergeron Smith
ROR Spoon Yeti

member 96824

Iggy may be gone and I doubt we could afford Iggy and ROR. if Iggy leaves could be something like

Lucic Krejci Eriksson
Marchand Bergeron Smith
ROR Spoon Yeti

True...but at the same time, Iggy could give us some sweetheart Mark Recchi like deals towards the end.

I wouldn't put it past him, considering what he agreed to to help our cap situation this offseason

Bi Coastal Bawse*

True...but at the same time, Iggy could give us some sweetheart Mark Recchi like deals towards the end.

I wouldn't put it past him, considering what he agreed to to help our cap situation this offseason

Maybe he would get a discount if it gives him another chance at a SC or if he wants to mentor more Bs.

Ur lines are good but what about Yeti? 4th line?

member 96824

Maybe he would get a discount if it gives him another chance at a SC or if he wants to mentor more Bs.

Ur lines are good but what about Yeti? 4th line?

No idea to be honest. Soderberg is such a tough one to place in lines.

spokedB

Aug 2, 2005
western Maine
Sorry to jump into your board here, but, where is this coming from?? His QO is 6.5m and can be brought down by 15% via team elected arbitration.

Also, about the contract debacle, new management. Roy loves O'Reilly.

Don't worry, they're just bored so they're trading everybody for anybody - not that O'Reilly is anybody. If a Bruin goes over 60 minutes without scoring a Gordie Howe Hat Trick, he's automatically on the trading block for a bag of used pucks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
And when it comes down to it, whether Avs fans, Bruins fans or Leaf fans, it doesn't matter who we have interest in when dealing a player.

What matters is what management wants/is interested in.

The end.

So....Chia and Cam don`t hit the Hf Boards first thing every morning to make personnel decisions?? Me thinks your so wrong Dom:sarcasm:;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad