Proposal: Ryan O'Reilly

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
So to summarize, are we a offering a 3d line veteran center, 3d pairing stay at home d-man and a mid level draft pick for one of the best young players in the game (admittedly overpaid)?? I love HF Boards:laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Use to, until yesterday. Then they downloaded the new BBM for iPhone. If they happen to get your BBM pin, that's where they'll get our thoughts from

Dom,

Shoot me a direct message on Twitter with you PIN. I just downloaded the APP, but it's telling me I have to wait in line to use BBM?? WTF? I knew there was a catch :laugh:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
even if he plays left wing he still has a 5 million cap hit and is only signed for this year. so we would trade a guy like Marchand for someone who puts up similar numbers cost more and is signed for this year only where Brad is 500k a year less expensive and is signed though 2016-2017.

I am not talking Hamilton because I wouldn't do that trade straight up. If it was a sign and trade then we could talk but still probably wouldn't do it. Want to give Hamiltion so more time to see what he could do as we are going to need a new #1 D in a couple of years.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

even if he plays left wing he still has a 5 million cap hit and is only signed for this year. so we would trade a guy like Marchand for someone who puts up similar numbers cost more and is signed for this year only where Brad is 500k a year less expensive and is signed though 2016-2017.

I am not talking Hamilton because I wouldn't do that trade straight up. If it was a sign and trade then we could talk but still probably wouldn't do it. Want to give Hamiltion so more time to see what he could do as we are going to need a new #1 D in a couple of years.

Go back and read what Dom said. We wouldn't have to trade for him. He is going to be a FA/RF soon

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

with ya on Dougie, is he untouchable?? Probably not, but bloody close I`m guessing with Chia, I still see "special" written all over him, kids 19 and already is developing nicely under great coaching and fantastic veteran presence with this team. Truly believe, he will be the heir apparent to Z, he won`t have all the elements Z brings, but show me a D man out there who does??? They are few and far between

Krug gets the ink, but he and Bart have some years of maturity on them DH doesn`t have yet...he`s going to be a beauty as Don Cherry says...ugg, did I just quote that guy:)

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Go back and read what Dom said. We wouldn't have to trade for him. He is going to be a FA/RF soon

I read what Dom said but I was discussing the possibility of trading for him which is how this thread was started.

Yes he will be a FA this offseason but do you think Boston would be the only team interested? getting someone before they hit the market is more affordable then getting someone once a bidding war starts. Also he is going to be an RFA not a UFA which means you would have to trade for him in the offseason or sign him to an offersheet no?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I read what Dom said but I was discussing the possibility of trading for him which is how this thread was started.

Yes he will be a FA this offseason but do you think Boston would be the only team interested? getting someone before they hit the market is more affordable then getting someone once a bidding war starts. Also he is going to be an RFA not a UFA which means you would have to trade for him in the offseason or sign him to an offersheet no?

Yep, and that`s not really Chia`s MO

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
with ya on Dougie, is he untouchable?? Probably not, but bloody close I`m guessing with Chia, I still see "special" written all over him, kids 19 and already is developing nicely under great coaching and fantastic veteran presence with this team. Truly believe, he will be the heir apparent to Z, he won`t have all the elements Z brings, but show me a D man out there who does??? They are few and far between

Krug gets the ink, but he and Bart have some years of maturity on them DH doesn`t have yet...he`s going to be a beauty as Don Cherry says...ugg, did I just quote that guy:)

I agree with you. no one is untouchable but it would take a lot at this point to get Dougie from me as true #1 d-men are much harder to find then when ROR brings. Does that mean Dougie is that guy I don't know but he is our best prospect in my opinion to be that #1 guy on D.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Boston wouldn't get into a bidding war and I can't see them trying to build a big package just to outbid another team in a trade.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Boston wouldn't get into a bidding war and I can't see them trying to build a big package just to outbid another team in a trade.

Nor should they, O`Reilly is good, but IMO, he`s just not the kind of guy you take a huge loss of assets to acquire, someone would though.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

that is my point I can't see it either considering he does not fill a need on this team. A team that is in need of a center will be much more open to overspending to get a player like this then a team like Boston where he would end up on the tired line getting paid 5 million or on the 2nd line as a wing not brining that much of an upgrade for what you would have to give up in a player like marchand.

take cap hit, length of contract into consideration and it is not worth it in my opinion the math dosent add up to me unless someone can explain different.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree with you. no one is untouchable but it would take a lot at this point to get Dougie from me as true #1 d-men are much harder to find then when ROR brings. Does that mean Dougie is that guy I don't know but he is our best prospect in my opinion to be that #1 guy on D.

New golden boy on the back Scotto....Krug is the sexy choice around here, I love Dougie`s game so far this year, quietly becoming very strong in his own end, once that is mastered, the offensive side will kick in.

He`s the clear Chara heir apparent, he`s going nowhere IMO

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
New golden boy on the back Scotto....Krug is the sexy choice around here, I love Dougie`s game so far this year, quietly becoming very strong in his own end, once that is mastered, the offensive side will kick in.

He`s the clear Chara heir apparent, he`s going nowhere IMO

I love Krug's game guy is so fun to watch and has the offensive skills to be very very good. He does not have the size or D game to be a true #1 though in my opinion. he could be to the Bruins what brian rafalski was to the cup winning devils teams.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
First off, he's an RFA and secondly, Colorado has a ton of cap space. Since RFA's very rarely draw offers let alone end up switching teams, this is a moot point. The only way you'd get the guy is if you traded and grossly overpaid Colorado for him. Period.

FWIW, I know a lot of people here are high on the guy, but I'm not that impressed, TBH. His salary alone is going to be an overpayment initially, until his productivity catches up. Do you really think that this team is in the position to overpay to acquire the guy and then overpay ROR in salary, only to sit back and hope the player develops into a $6+ mill per year guy? No chance.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
First off, he's an RFA and secondly, Colorado has a ton of cap space. Since RFA's very rarely draw offers let alone end up switching teams, this is a moot point. The only way you'd get the guy is if you traded and grossly overpaid Colorado for him. Period.

FWIW, I know a lot of people here are high on the guy, but I'm not that impressed, TBH. His salary alone is going to be an overpayment initially, until his productivity catches up. Do you really think that this team is in the position to overpay to acquire the guy and then overpay ROR in salary, only to sit back and hope the player develops into a $6+ mill per year guy? No chance.

exactly. a team that is in need of a #1 center may take a chance but only due to need

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
lmao at some of the proposals by you fools.

ROR is NASTY and is a legit #2, if not eventually #1 center. He's not a 3rd liner, we have no room for him. Plus it would take a king's ransom to get him anyway, Stastny's gone after this year probably, they aren't going to want to part with ROR.

EDIT: I was under the impression that he was locked up after this year. I guess not? Well in that case maybe he might be available if Colorado falls out of it, but they look pretty solid this year, so I doubt it. But anyway, we already have two top centers, it'd be smarter to allocate the money we have left into wingers next year (whether that's Iginla or whoever).

We're not giving up Marchand or Hamilton for RoR. He would project as Iginla's replacement next year. But we'd have a hole if we traded either of those two. Maybe realistically a deal doesn't get done but we're not giving up major starting player pieces from our own end either.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
uh, why do we need Ryan O'Reilly? With Krejci and Bergeron up the middle for the next five years he'll never see a spot in center, and Lucic/Marchand/Eriksson are 3 of the top 4 wingers for years to come. We don't need him and Colorado is definitely not going to part with him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I love Krug's game guy is so fun to watch and has the offensive skills to be very very good. He does not have the size or D game to be a true #1 though in my opinion. he could be to the Bruins what brian rafalski was to the cup winning devils teams.

I`ll take it;)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom my friend, where do you see the cap next year? 70s?

Hard to say bud, too early yet. A lot of things with too many ???

Less than a dozen games in attendance is down (average by team) from last year (end of season average) but traditionally, its always at its lowest this time of year. However, its not as low as it usually is for this time of year so I guess technically, its up.

Then, with all the outdoor games (how many are there again?) there's a potential of 300,000 extra fans. Think of the extra ticket revenue alone. Now average out $10 per person in concession sales. And then there's the inevitable merchandise sales just because of those games. Not to mention advertising.

Have to take into account a new Canadian TV deal and there's plenty of talk that it would match the NBC - US deal (wow) and the possibility that it would go the NFL route with two National TV deals, the traditional HNIC deal for Saturday nights and a new Sunday game of the week deal on a different network.

But most importantly, what happens to the Canadian dollar. Economists say it'll bottom out at 90 cents US and that's going to hurt more than most think considering most of the revenue comes from there and since everything is paid in US dollars, player expenses go up.

And then there's the 5% escalator.

Just too early to have an idea, but if I were to make my best guess, I'd say around the $68 million mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad