Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part III - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That's extremely unlikely. He's not going to ask for hypothetically $6.5M long term, then tell another team he'd like to play there before the trade is finalized, then tell that team he doesn't want to sign long term he just wants to sign his QO.

I'd say there's no way that happens. He'd be traded to a team willing to sign him for his price, and he'd sign with them.
So tell me, what difference does the two year deal make then? If he's willing to sign with whatever team he's traded too, what's stopping him from doing that on July 1st, 2015?

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Sakic hasn't gotten this thrashed since the snow blower incident. ROR and Newport got a flawless victory here.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
From what I understand O'reilly wouldn't be able to sign an extension until jan. 2016. So thoeretically if we trade him this year, if we had just gone through arb. the team we trade him for would have the opertunity to sign him long term as soon as Jan 2015. This allows them to get a slightly lower long term cap hit because the 2nd arb year would be in there. They would still have his services for 2 years but could negotiate basically the whole time. That extra time of negotiation is what is lost.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
From what I understand O'reilly wouldn't be able to sign an extension until jan. 2016. So thoeretically if we trade him this year, if we had just gone through arb. the team we trade him for would have the opertunity to sign him long term as soon as Jan 2015. This allows them to get a slightly lower long term cap hit because the 2nd arb year would be in there. They would still have his services for 2 years but could negotiate basically the whole time. That extra time of negotiation is what is lost.

No, they can negotiate from July 1st 2015 if he signs 1 year arb deal and then took QA team could negotiate from Jan. 1st 2016. There are no "extra time of negotiation lost"

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Negotiations can be started on July 1st 2015 from what I've gathered.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
i was saying if they had taken the arb 1yr route instead of signing, not with signing of the 2 year deal

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
i was saying if they had taken the arb 1yr route instead of signing, not with signing of the 2 year deal

In that case theoretically they could start to talk in January 2015, but O'Reilly and his agent could just wait to end of the season, take QO and postpone it at least to January 2016.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
In that case theoretically they could start to talk in January 2015, but O'Reilly and his agent could just wait to end of the season, take QO and postpone it at least to January 2016.

True, but just having the ability to start discussions adds leverage to a team wanting to acquire ROR. And if they did sign him long term the cap value would be a little bit lower.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
I think I'm just mad because it feels like they caved for no real benefit other than to avoid arb. That and since it's unlikely now he's traded this season rosterbation just isn't as much fun.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think I'm just mad because it feels like they caved for no real benefit other than to avoid arb. That and since it's unlikely now he's traded this season rosterbation just isn't as much fun.
None of this ROR trade/contract stuff has been fun. I'd rather he just be on the damn team for the next 10 years. I'm hopeful that coming to a handshake agreement with the guy today helps the next time negotiations come up.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think Avs caved at all. This was probably a deal that was always on the table, and they probably got the deal done because they could meet the player face-to-face before arbitration instead of just the agent. Obviously more term would have been nice, but Avs definitely got ROR to budge his contract demands downward.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country

I dont understand this caving term. Colorado got a good deal here at an aav of 6.0. Going to arb couls have saved them a few bucks but wouldnt have been worth the increase in tension arbitration brings.

Edit: or what avsboy said

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Just a couple:
The team getting to talk and/or sign an extention as early as January as well as in a trade scenario where the acquiring team could do that with permission from the Avs. Also allows that talk/signing to happen before the 2015 draft as opposed to after which is when the real value of a futures deal could be realized. The team did not gain any player control by signing the 2 year deal.

Arbitration (my best guess) comes in under 6m which then makes his QO under 6m. saving a pittance of money, but saving money none the less.

Just little things in the big picture that may not have mattered long term, but still options that are no longer there.

You're assuming the arbitration award would be under $6,000,000. That's a big assumption that has no facts to back it up. The award could just as easily have been more than $6,000,000 in which case the contract that was signed today saves the Avs money.

I don't believe the contract signed today benefits or costs the Avs any significant player control. The Avs can talk to O'Reilly tomorrow or next Saturday or whenever they'd like about a contract extension. They can even come to an agreement on a contract extension. They just can't sign the contract extension right now because of the deal that was just signed. If he's traded the same can be said of his new team.

The arbitration process or the contract signed today doesn't change when O'Reilly becomes a UFA. The Avs have O'Reilly for two years if they choose to keep him in either case.

The Avs didn't really gain or lose anything significant today than if they went the arbitration route. If anything they avoided a potentially ugly arbitration hearing.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
The arbitration process tends to leave both sides unhappy and can really sour relationships. The Avs would have to be arguing why they think O'Reilly is not as good as he thinks and, on the other end, the Avs would hear O'Reilly's agent arguing that he's better than anyone else on the team, as their salary demands would make him highest paid.

I think today's outcome is a win-win. O'Reilly recognizes the Avs value him as much as their highest paid player and the Avs stayed within their structure. ROR likely tests UFA in two years but this gives all parties a chance to relax and not have to go through this next summer all over again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You're assuming the arbitration award would be under $6,000,000. That's a big assumption that has no facts to back it up. The award could just as easily have been more than $6,000,000 in which case the contract that was signed today saves the Avs money.

I don't believe the contract signed today benefits or costs the Avs any significant player control. The Avs can talk to O'Reilly tomorrow or next Saturday or whenever they'd like about a contract extension. They can even come to an agreement on a contract extension. They just can't sign the contract extension right now because of the deal that was just signed. If he's traded the same can be said of his new team.

The arbitration process or the contract signed today doesn't change when O'Reilly becomes a UFA. The Avs have O'Reilly for two years if they choose to keep him in either case.

The Avs didn't really gain or lose anything significant today than if they went the arbitration route. If anything they avoided a potentially ugly arbitration hearing.

Except now he doesn't have to negotiate or even give the Avs a new offer. He can just wait to become a UFA. It also ups his next asking price as a pending UFA, and you can bet your ass O'Reilly will use that as leverage.

Given that he didn't want to negotiate last summer, or during the season, my guess is he'll probably wait until the last second to get into any serious negotiations with the Avs before becoming a UFA. He'll put as much pressure as possible on them in the name of "business."

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I look at the signing this way - while the cap is what it is, a 6 mil AAV is much better than what O'Reilly probably wants long term. As the cap goes up and O'Reilly nears his prime/ufa years they will try to extend him for more of what he thinks he is worth. And the sooner they do that, the better.

If O'Reilly refuses to sign an extension by next year, trade him.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Except now he doesn't have to negotiate or even give the Avs a new offer. He can just wait to become a UFA. It also ups his next asking price as a pending UFA, and you can bet your ass O'Reilly will use that as leverage.

Given that he didn't want to negotiate last summer, or during the season, my guess is he'll probably wait until the last second to get into any serious negotiations with the Avs before becoming a UFA. He'll put as much pressure as possible on them in the name of "business."
So if the Avs went the arbitration route how would have that made any difference?

Signing the contract today allows O'Reilly to wait two years before negotiating his UFA contract.

Accepting the arbitrator award for one year today, and then accepting his qualifying offer a year from now, would allow O'Reilly to wait two years before negotiating his UFA contract.

It's the same either way. neither the Avs or O'Reilly lose or gain anything with regard to O'Reilly's UFA contract terms in two years.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So if the Avs went the arbitration route how would have that made any difference?

Signing the contract today allows O'Reilly to wait two years before negotiating his UFA contract.

Accepting the arbitrator award for one year today, and then accepting his qualifying offer a year from now, would allow O'Reilly to wait two years before negotiating his UFA contract.

It's the same either way. neither the Avs or O'Reilly lose or gain anything with regard to O'Reilly's UFA contract terms in two years.

One year contract = Has to sign with team before becoming UFA.

Two year contract = Doesn't have to sign. Can wait to be UFA and sign with anyone for top dollar.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So tell me, what difference does the two year deal make then? If he's willing to sign with whatever team he's traded too, what's stopping him from doing that on July 1st, 2015?

I mentioned that already.

Any team trading for him is comfortable with his long term asking price as an RFA, and O'Reilly HAS to sign with them. He can't wait until UFA. He has to sign with them first. In which case, he's not going to renege on his asking price and turn down long term offers that meet what he's looking for, so he can sign his one year QO.

If he's traded to a team with a two year deal he doesn't have to re-sign with them to reach UFA. He'll likely just wait until then so he can field the max offer. Something I'd be HIGHLY concerned with given his past history.

The only thing keeping O'Reilly from signing with the Avs was the hold up on money. That's not going to hold up a team that wants to trade for him. If they trade for him as a pending UFA where he can field enormous offers from 30 different teams, that's a whole different story.

He has a whole new asking price as a pending UFA than he does as an RFA. Before a trade they'll know his asking price as a pending RFA. If they trade for him as a pending UFA he doesn't even have to give his new asking price, he can just say we're going to test the market.

The issue with a one year deal is "will he sign for X amount long term?" Something they already know he will do, and they are comfortable with. Making it not an issue at all.

The issue with a two year deal is "will he turn down offers just to hit free agency?" Something they would be VERY concerned with.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
how soon will the avs try and extend ror because they cant afford to trade him at the deadline in his last year for peanuts of what he is worth. think he stays all of this year but if an extension isn't agreed upon by next off-season he should be traded

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
That's extremely unlikely. He's not going to ask for hypothetically $6.5M long term, then tell another team he'd like to play there before the trade is finalized, then tell that team he doesn't want to sign long term he just wants to sign his QO.

I'd say there's no way that happens. He'd be traded to a team willing to sign him for his price, and he'd sign with them.

The only reason he was in the position he was with the Avs was because they weren't comfortable with his asking price. By default that wouldn't be the case with the team willing to trade for him.

If a team could sign him to a long term deal as an RFA then they can sign him to an extension as a UFA. Either way, he'll be asking for the same amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad