Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part III - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Doesn't it give the team acquiring him less to lose? If they get him as an RFA and cant get him signed long term, they can move him again. If I was an NHL gm on another team, no way I'd trade for ROR with one year left before UFA knowing him and his agents.
What's the difference? If they get him as an RFA and they can't sign him long term, then how does that change the fact that he's one year away from UFA? He could easily just accept his QO with that new team, giving him one year until UFA and even less time to negotiate an extension.

FoppaForsberg*

Wow. You'd think the sky was falling the way most of you are freaking out. He'll either be resigned or be traded next summer.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I know some will hate me for this, but I still hope they trade him.

I DO NOT want to go through this BS again in 2 years!
I'm just sick of it.

ROR is a stud on the ice, but a pain in the ass in contract negotiations.

Please trade him for someone we have a better chance of signing long term.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
The thing that pisses me off the most is that this "saga" will still continue now.

With a trade or a term of 4+ we finally could have sighed.
Now in one year when the negotiations for the next contract start this will happen all over again. Hopefully Sakic and Patrick can at least see that if they won't sign it then they will trade him.

Still think this is a big big mistake by the Avs. The worst thing they could have done was this. (out of the realistic possibilites that is)
Other than signing O'Reilly to an extremely large AAV contract for longer term what other options did the Avs have? I'm sure they wanted to sign O'Reilly to a longer term deal without breaking the bank but O'Reilly has to agree to the contract.

If O'Reilly's unwilling to agree to a longer term contract at roughly the $6M AAV then the Avs could have signed him like they did or gone through the arbitration process this year and then give him a QO next year. In either case it adds up to roughly the same result.

I don't see what options the Avs had that were significantly better than what they did.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
How is this bad by the Avs? Avs got a two year deal, instead of one. And got him on a fair contract. And there is no animosity between the parties.

ROR remains tradeable and is here for at least two more years on a decent contract if not traded.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
This is worst case scenario.

This is exactly what ROR and co wanted. Makes good money for the next 2 years and hits UFA with no UFA years bought by the Avs. He will walk in 2 years 100% guaranteed.

Terrible job by the Avs today.
What options did the Avs have that were significantly better? O'Reilly has to be willing to sign the deal. If he wants his UFA years so he can make outlandish money then there's nothing the Avs can do except give him an outlandish AAV.

I think the Avs did what they could while being somewhat fiscally responsible.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I'm just sick of it.

Very much this. Get him out of town.

And what a fantastic tweet by EJ.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A new team isn't going to give up the assets to get ROR either now or in the future if they are not prepared and comfortable to pay what he's asking for. Think of it like us trying to acquire Subban, we wouldn't bother unless we were willing to go there on his contract demands.

Fans were starting to say they couldn't root for ROR on the team if he went through the process and it appeared like he didn't want to stay here. While that may still be the truth, the perception is that because he willingly agreed to a contract it APPEARS to be a much more amicable situation. Casual fans don't think about asset management and things like that, they read the Denver Post headlines and go off of that. All they need to know is "O'Reilly signed a contract", they have no concept of what might happen 2 years from now.

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
The Avs are in a better position now than they were when the sun came up this morning.

Going into today they were facing a 1 year deal at the salary discretion of a 3rd party.

Now they have the player on a 2 year deal at a fair salary that they were comfortable paying.

I don't understand why some people criticize the team for this move. The player is now under contract for 2 years at their terms, the player is now more tradable, and the team now has 1.5 seasons to try and get him locked up long.term or else trade him at the 2016 deadline. If they fail to get him signed long term, they get 1.5 seasons of play and whatever trade return in 2016.

This does set up contract stand off #3, but they can trade him if they don't like how negotiations go over the next year.

As for Sakic sounding like he did when talking about Stastny, what did you expect him to say? " With the deal today, we can now trade Ryan if we don't like where negotiations go."

Get real. The outcome the team still wants is the player under contract long term. Sakic won't say anything contrary to that until A) They trade O'Reilly or B) Let him walk as a UFA. Expecting him to reveal any contingency plans is rather humorous.

I feel like the people ripping the team for this are the type of people who are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

The move the team made today is superior to having him on a 1 year deal at the arbitrator's salary decision.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Makes you wonder then if the room might get divided over something like this. I know they are supposed to be pro's about it but still these are some young guys. Hope it doesnt get divided.

Well, there is a fairly clear solution to that, no?

Nip it in the bud, before it festers and spreads.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Makes you wonder then if the room might get divided over something like this. I know they are supposed to be pro's about it but still these are some young guys. Hope it doesnt get divided.

I wouldn't say that ... EJ is probably just saying drinks are on you kid for the foreseeable future

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
You're judging them based off only one occasion, in which the team was in 1st place after picking 1st overall just a few months earlier. Of course they weren't going to trade Stastny. And I don't believe the Avs valued Stastny as much as they do ROR.

It's entirely possible they've learned their lesson with that and will try to move O'Reilly if it's clear an extension is not in the works.

We will see of course, but any deal for ROR will set us back immediately and I don't see competitive Roy doing that. They will milk it for two years and try their "best" to sign him, but he'll be too expensive.

I want to be optimistic, but have a hard time. This turned out to be such a debacle. Still can't see how we couldn't get at least a 3rd year out of this even a third year at 7 mill. would have been a hit of 6.33/year.

Last edited:

Burnaby_Joe*

What would you guys offer O'Money on a long term deal after this contract. I'd go $58M/8 years.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The Avs are in a better position now than they were when the sun came up this morning.

Going into today they were facing a 1 year deal at the salary discretion of a 3rd party.

Now they have the player on a 2 year deal at a fair salary that they were comfortable paying.

I don't understand why some people criticize the team for this move. The player is now under contract for 2 years at their terms, the player is now more tradable, and the team now has 1.5 seasons to try and get him locked up long.term or else trade him at the 2016 deadline. If they fail to get him signed long term, they get 1.5 seasons of play and whatever trade return in 2016.

This does set up contract stand off #3, but they can trade him if they don't like how negotiations go over the next year.

As for Sakic sounding like he did when talking about Stastny, what did you expect him to say? " With the deal today, we can now trade Ryan if we don't like where negotiations go."

Get real. The outcome the team still wants is the player under contract long term. Sakic won't say anything contrary to that until A) They trade O'Reilly or B) Let him walk as a UFA. Expecting him to reveal any contingency plans is rather humorous.

I feel like the people ripping the team for this are the type of people who are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

The move the team made today is superior to having him on a 1 year deal at the arbitrator's salary decision.

Sorry. But bollocks.

Your post makes zero sense. The Avs LOST player control today.
They certainly did not gain it

Lord Moriarty007

Lets go Avs & Bolts!
May 1, 2013
Denver, CO/Orlando,FL

I'm just sick of it.

I totally agree! I want him trade before the season starts. But that won't happen.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Love Sakic, but he really needs to go to school on negotiating. Two years is not an acceptable outcome to a negotiation when the end result was already a one or two year term. Both of those options, one and two years, are awful. So, to end the negotiation with one of those awful outcomes is a fail. If you up your offer to 6M, you absolutely need to get something in return, like an extra year. You come up on salary, they give you an extra year. 6M for 3, and both sides walk away from the table having gained something. Instead, you let ROR and Newport dictate everything, and they hold all the cards now. I just don't see how this can be considered anything but a loss considering the goal is a long term contract. If he was going to sign long term, it would've happened during THIS negotiation.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Love Sakic, but he really needs to go to school on negotiating. Two years is not an acceptable outcome to a negotiation when the end result was already a one or two year term. Both of those options, one and two years, are awful. So, to end the negotiation with one of those awful outcomes is a fail. If you up your offer to 6M, you absolutely need to get something in return, like an extra year. You come up on salary, they give you an extra year. 6M for 3, and both sides walk away from the table having gained something. Instead, you let ROR and Newport dictate everything, and they hold all the cards now. I just don't see how this can be considered anything but a loss considering the goal is a long term contract. If he was going to sign long term, it would've happened during THIS negotiation.

I don't think Sakic gave him the money. He wasn't asking for 6 per. So why would he give us more years?

I understand your logic but it doesn't apply here. If they had given him 6,5, maybe he would have accepted a 3 year deal.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
So apparently people would have preferred the one year arbitration deal?

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
To all those who want him traded, do you honestly believe we would get adequate value in return? As in comparable player, both age and skill-wise, you know either a young top-line forward or top pairing defensman? Not a third line plug and bunch of futures, who may or may not come good?

The other question, when was the last time you were 100 percent happy with a major trade Avs did? With the trade itself, at the time, when it happened, not its ultimate outcome few years down the road... Personally, i dont recall one since the Rob Blake.

FoppaForsberg*

Sorry. But bollocks.

Your post makes zero sense. The Avs LOST player control today.
They certainly did not gain it

His post makes perfect sense and is actually rational unlike 99% of everyone else's posts at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad