Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part III - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I can't figure out why people can't see the difference on this, but that's fine.

One year contract = Has to sign with team before becoming UFA.

Two year contract = Doesn't have to sign. Can wait to be UFA and sign with anyone.

The road is different but the end will/can be the same. O'Reilly doesn't have to sign a multi year contract next off-season if he only got the one year deal. He could just go for player elected arbitration, team is forced to take the one year award and O'Reilly walks at the end of the year. Or he takes the QO and walks to UFA.

The only difference between the two-year deal and the one year award is that O'Reilly is under contract for the 2015-16 season. With the one year award he would only be under contract for this season. He still would still get to UFA just as fast either way.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
how soon will the avs try and extend ror because they cant afford to trade him at the deadline in his last year for peanuts of what he is worth. think he stays all of this year but if an extension isn't agreed upon by next off-season he should be traded

The earliest he can be extended is July 1st 2015. However they can negotiate starting now.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
2ns1a87.jpg

Photo of ROR right after the deal.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I would actually prefer ROR to just stick to the 50-60 point range just so he won't be asking Kane/Toews money 2 years from now.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
One year contract = Has to sign with team before becoming UFA.

Two year contract = Doesn't have to sign. Can wait to be UFA and sign with anyone for top dollar.

For one more year to become UFA year after that anyway and sign with anyone for top dollar.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
I can't believe Sakic said they will not trade him now! How naive this guy is.....after the Stastny experience and after the two first negotiations with ROR!!! It's making me sick......I hope it's a strategy and they will trade him before the end of the year! This guy does not deserve to be in an Avs uniform!

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
I can't believe Sakic said they will not trade him now! How naive this guy is.....after the Stastny experience and after the two first negotiations with ROR!!! It's making me sick......I hope it's a strategy and they will trade him before the end of the year! This guy does not deserve to be in an Avs uniform!

I completely agree, they can't be that naive..can they? I want this #90 out of here ASAP.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'll concede to all those who think his trade value is not affected next year, if they concede that if he were to be traded during the 2015 off season, it would have made him more valuable if the team acquiring him could negotiate/discuss/agree to an extension before the trade.

That value does not "legally" kick in now until July 2015; AFTER the 2015 Draft.
For a team like Buffalo, who:
- is building a core of players that are in an age where ROR fits perfectly
- is also likely going to be targeting "Captain Material" if they do not feel they have enough of that on their roster
- owns 3 1st round picks in a very good 2015 draft, while already having built a good supply of young untested talent and may be looking for some experienced youth to add into the mix

Just an example and not stating that Buffalo would be interested, bu the possibility that 2 1sts (likely the 2 lower 1sts) + from being available as a possible option in a ROR trade. This is an option that is now for the most part off the table as I do not see any teams trading a significant package without being certain ROR will be there long term.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There's nothing stopping the Avs from letting a team talk to O'Reilly's agent to discuss his demands before July 1. They just can't sign a contract with them. Chicago was negotiating with Toews and Kane's agents well before the July 1 date that they were eligible for signing an extension.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
look,
1: Just because Ryan O'Reilly wants to be paid as much as possible for playing doesn't mean that he doesn't want to play here.

2: It's okay for players to leave for nothing. It happen's all the ****ing time. If you aren't in the playoffs then it is a waste of assets, but as long as the Avs are buyers come 2016 (which you damn well better hope they will be) they should keep O'Reilly and try to win the Stanley cup.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll concede to all those who think his trade value is not affected next year, if they concede that if he were to be traded during the 2015 off season, it would have made him more valuable if the team acquiring him could negotiate/discuss/agree to an extension before the trade.

Are they really bound to not discussing though? Just like how Roy said he "knew" Berra would sign an extension.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Look idiots.
1: Just because Ryan O'Reilly wants to be paid as much as possible for playing doesn't mean that he doesn't want to play here.

2: It's okay for player's to leave for nothing. It happen's all the ****ing time. If you aren't in the playoffs then it is a waste of assets, but as long as the Avs are buyers come 2016 (which you damn well better hope they will be) they should keep O'Reilly and try to win the Stanley cup.

Well, i feel properly scolded.

Burnaby_Joe*

Look idiots.

2: It's okay for player's to leave for nothing. It happen's all the ****ing time. If you aren't in the playoffs then it is a waste of assets, but as long as the Avs are buyers come 2016 (which you damn well better hope they will be) they should keep O'Reilly and try to win the Stanley cup.

Excuse me! It's not okay if O'Money leaves for nothing. He has to be traded if they can't agree to an extension.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
They should be actively looking for a deal over the next year and move him when the time is right, probably next summer. I think the chances of re-signing him long term are slim.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Are they really bound to not discussing though? Just like how Roy said he "knew" Berra would sign an extension.

Berra was a pending UFA and within the 1 year window where the league prefers negotiations to be discussed.

I'll try to look it up, but there is a reason the league put that pre-free agency window in for other teams to talk to players, and if I recall there were some "tampering" concerns they were trying to address.

I also can't see the Avs opening the door for ROR and Newport to start talking contract extensions with other teams months before the extension could actually be signed. It would be easy for ROR and his team to prematurely drive up his UFA asking price without a trade actually coming to fruition.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The avs clearly wouldn't have had leverage next year either I'd it was a one year deal. He would've selected arbitration and been on his way. The idea that they could've had leverage over him with one year left is wrong. He'll get the money he wants and term he wants one way or another.

This.

I wish people would simply realize a top talent, which ROR will most likely be, can lay out their own future plans and a team can't stop them. They can twist, turn, sputter, muddle, and fuddle during the RFA years to drive the highest salary possible. Then when UFA comes the player has the market to play. If he is elite, the money will come from somewhere. Key piece. Does the player want a Cup chance? That limits his choices. How bad are his services wanted by said contending suitors? That in the end will settle his value. He can probably go to a non-contender for even more money.

Where will the Avs be in two years? If they are one of the contenders at that time and he has been instrumental in making them so, it's possible he has become their best player (not to say that will be the case). In either case, it's possible they cough up enough to make him decide to stay. If they establish some kind of self imposed ceiling for all their players based on what ever set of criteria they employ and he won't settle for that, he's gone.

Right now the best thing Colorado can do is milk the cow for as long as possible. If he fails to put up top numbers his market value decreases and makes it easier for the Avs to resign him. If his numbers skyrocket, then he would be worth his asking price or somewhere in the ball park and the Avs might be wise to pay it rather than have him be instrumental in another team's Cup.

You just don't know right now how this will progress. In the second year about midway, the Avs start to talk about an extension. If it looks impossible, deal him at the deadline. If he's on top of the charts, he'll get something of value in return.

The Avs could not have controlled this. There is no way to back a player into a corner he can't get out of. So, they took the best shot they could. They signed a middle price between the two, didn't burn their bridge and cause a negative situation between them for two years, got two years to use his services which will have to be very good if he is looking for a big payday, can try to resign him, and if not thank him for what he helped them attain and dump him for other assets and rid themselves of their and the kid's worst enemy, his own father (you almost wonder what % he gets out of all of this.) It's the best they could hope for based on this particular situation.

Let's be honest. Once you attain a certain financial threshold, how many million does one need in order to be set for life as well as prepare for your children's future and in ROR's case his father's retirement. When you have 50 or 60 million what difference would another 10 make in creating financial security. Greed can be a person's worst friend. We don't need to worry senselessly over this.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
All this the Avs did the right thing by avoiding burning bridges or hurting ROR's feelings in an arbitration hearing is nonsense. Especially when right behind that ROR is lauded for making a business decision to manipulate the RFA system and by holding firm in order to maximize his value.

If he expects the organization and his team mates to separate and acknowledge the business part of hockey, than he should be tough enough to handle a bunch of front office guys listing off reasons he is only worth a percentage of what he is asking for.

He is after all a man of great Character, the kind of character you need to win a Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad