Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '18-19 season

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
He always had talent but by his 3rd season in the league he was dubbed a "3rd line checking center" for reasons that I don't quite understand and it really undercut his on-ice performance.

He is finally coming into his own with a lot of confidence on the ice. Looked like Mac-D tonight.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He reminds me a lot of Kadri. Always talented just took a bit. Exact we age that Kadri brokeout at too

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
What did Ference say about The Nuge? I just saw the bullet point summary of Ference's rant and didn't see anything alluding to Nuge

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Nuge is into Horses. Kinda has a long face as well. Horses also have a big....strong kick to your face if you stand behind them..

Never stand behind a horse.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
What did Ference say about The Nuge? I just saw the bullet point summary of Ference's rant and didn't see anything alluding to Nuge

I don't recall him saying anything about Ryan. He alluded to a couple 'party guys' but he was fairly obviously referring to Hall, Eberle (both allegedly, of course) and maybe one other main guy. RNH doesn't fit the bill to me unless he's ungodly good at keeping it on the down-low, so really don't think he was talking about him at all with regards to that or anything else. And I don't recall him mentioning him once by name, unless I somehow missed it.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Dunkaroos for the boy before bedtime tonight! He was flying and handling the puck in ways i haven't seen him do much since his rookie season.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
It’s not easy to play your strong side on the PP like he does, so much easier on the off wing. Am I wrong in thinking he’s one of the best in the league as a strong side half boards PP option? Produces well without having any one time shots.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The growth in his game and killing PK's is awesome to see. Plus, he can run his own line.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My hope is this season once and for all puts to rest the notion that he peaked in his rookie season.

I'm also quite impressed with how he's been able to stay productive with a mish-mash of the best of the rest wingers and how much of a pain in the ass he has been on the forecheck on the PK this season is kind of astounding.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I hope we extend him next season. He’s becoming Bergeron lite.

After his first couple years, I thought Nuge's upside was a Bergeron-type 2 way C. Glad he's starting to resemble one.

On another note, it seems like lanky high-1st round Cs (who aren't generational talents) always take a bit longer to develop.

His development path seems quite similar to Turris and Brassard.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
On pace for 76 points right now. That is 20 more than his current career high. Even if he doesn't sustain that pace, a 60+ point season, with what he bring in our zone, would be pretty incredible.

What do you guys think about his next contract? Would the same AAV be acceptable?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
On pace for 76 points right now. That is 20 more than his current career high. Even if he doesn't sustain that pace, a 60+ point season, with what he bring in our zone, would be pretty incredible.

What do you guys think about his next contract? Would the same AAV be acceptable?
He will ask $7.5-8

Reactions: Aerrol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He will ask $7.5-8
My guess would be that if he continues to play this way in this role he will get a modest raise to $7-7.5M. He seems the type to recognize that for parts of the current deal he was not earning the full amount. The earlier the deal gets made the better, though being a UFA the year that the expansion draft is happening does make this less likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad