Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '18-19 season

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The cap point, sure, something had to give. But I think it's more than a little silly to say covering for Eberle was the downfall of his offense when his best hockey before this year was, by far, playing with Eberle. In any case I'd rather not get into yet another Eberle debate here. Nuge is having a great year. I'm happy to see it. I'll leave it at that.

I agree with this... I think RNH's lack of offense had way more to do with the general state of the team and him taking on a role that was needed.

I think he then overcompensated in that role because he was one of the few who was actually listening... thus, the consequence to him taking any risk at all was that the puck ended up in the back of our net. He learned (the hard way) not to trust his teammates or the team's defensive structure and thus his interest in pushing the play offensively dwindled. ... he became overly cautious.

I think, to a degree, that effort (to be more responsible defensively) also limited Ebs in his last year with us... but that was more because he was new to the whole idea and didn't understand the balance. RNH on the other hand understood the balance but played on the uber side of cautious deliberately.

Reactions: Aerrol and Oilhawks

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Rieder would be a great addition to his wing. I thought him and Khaira were gelling as well. Him and Rieder would make for a pretty responsible tandem. I didn't even mind Lucic on the LW.

I'm still not all aboard the Puljujarvi train, but he's growing on me.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ideally you can play nuge with 2 aggresive forecheckers that allow him to be the high guy in the zone. 1 because he has a lethal wristshot and 2. hes a complete pick pocket on the ice. if he could play high and snatch off the breakout passes they could continue to pin teams in their defensive zone. Love his game and glad he is still here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What was Nuge's nickname round these parts in his rookie year? The Cobra or something?

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I'm liking Khaira with Nuge. He's got such under-rated passing, and Nuge is showing that his sneaky shot has got some finish to it... I don't think they've found the right winger yet, but I think Reider is a good fit. I'm curious what Zykov would look like there though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm liking Khaira with Nuge. He's got such under-rated passing, and Nuge is showing that his sneaky shot has got some finish to it... I don't think they've found the right winger yet, but I think Reider is a good fit. I'm curious what Zykov would look like there though.

Keep Jesse there, sooner or later the offense will come. Nuge will bring out the best in him IMO.

Reactions: ujju2

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
What was Nuge's nickname round these parts in his rookie year? The Cobra or something?
The media tried to push hoppy or something stupid his rookie year. Obviously didnt catch on, hes always been "Nuuuuge" or when typing RNH

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

I have to admit lately Nuge shot if finding some twine. Going back years ago I expected him to be making sneaky well placed shots. This is what I'd seen him do in Junior and tournaments before being an Oiler. But for years his shots were logo kissers.
This year and last its different. more bearing down on it.

When I look at his shot I don't see velocity or hard shots, but goalies almost typically have trouble with his shots. Those in the know, does he put some kind of English on the puck? Is it a flutter puck? His shots create a lot of rebounds lately. Goalies have trouble snaring them. I wonder is his shot mechanics is putting some kind of spin on the puck. Only goalies would know probably.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I have to admit lately Nuge shot if finding some twine. Going back years ago I expected him to be making sneaky well placed shots. This is what I'd seen him do in Junior and tournaments before being an Oiler. But for years his shots were logo kissers.

When I look at his shot I don't see velocity or hard shots, but goalies almost typically have trouble with his shots. Those in the know, does he put some kind of English on the puck? Is it a flutter puck? His shots create a lot of rebounds lately. Goalies have trouble snaring them. I wonder is his shot mechanics is putting some kind of spin on the puck. Only goalies would know probably.

From what I've seen he has a really standard wrist shot mechanically (this isn't a bad thing). Rather than load up his shot or shoot off the "off foot", he often squares up with the net and releases a very quick and accurate shot. He uses a medium stick (could say short-medium). He often relies on patience in his play, accuracy, and shot placement. He also scores a lot from the slot, more specifically inner slot.

I suspect what gives goalies trouble is the quick release and shot placement. Watch some highlights and if it's not a bang-bang play he's likely shooting mid-blocker. Many of his goals will look the same: a quick wrist shot of the mid blocker side post (or nearly).

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
About time he played like he gave a ****.

Probably helps that guys like Lucic and Kassian likely don't take kindly to being mocked for going hard in practice.

200w.gif

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie

Think its just an accurate 7 hole shot that he goes for often that's tricky for goalies

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Rieder would be a great addition to his wing. I thought him and Khaira were gelling as well. Him and Rieder would make for a pretty responsible tandem. I didn't even mind Lucic on the LW.

I'm still not all aboard the Puljujarvi train, but he's growing on me.

I think we're hitting point of too many forwards...

I'm not sure I would break up the 2nd line as Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi have looked good together.

I like the idea of Rieder and Spooner forming a speedy line, sort of a Ying/Yang to the "identity line". That leaves you to rotate Caggs and Chiasson (depending on who's feeling it more) to play with McDrai.

Chiasson/Caggs-McDavid-Drai
Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Rieder-Spooner-Caggs/Chiasson

Rattie and Zykov rotate in as needed.

Truth be told, I actually like the look of the forward core atm... As for the defence...

Nurse-Larsson
Gravel-Benning
Jones/Garrison-Wideman

OH GOD, KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
^He was playing easy minutes and got walked on the Burns goal. Watch the replay and wonder what he's doing and what he's covering. either he's got point high covered or not. Burns walks right in, Nuge can't be bothered to take one stride to cover and watches him roof the goal the seals the deal on the game. The thing that gets me is Nuge did his patented make it look like he's defending. He puts his stick in the camera frame while he's coasting. Whats he doing? seriously. He goes into these modes where its pretend defensive effort. He's not strong enough to contain a player like Burns, shouldn't be in that position, so doesn't even try.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
^He was playing easy minutes and got walked on the Burns goal. Watch the replay and wonder what he's doing and what he's covering. either he's got point high covered or not. Burns walks right in, Nuge can't be bothered to take one stride to cover and watches him roof the goal the seals the deal on the game. The thing that gets me is Nuge did his patented make it look like he's defending. He puts his stick in the camera frame while he's coasting. Whats he doing? seriously. He goes into these modes where its pretend defensive effort. He's not strong enough to contain a player like Burns, shouldn't be in that position, so doesn't even try.

The dude does the impossible and gets Lucic a goal and you still have to rip on him? Dude is making $6 million, not $8.5 million. What did Drai do in his time away from Connor tonight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->