Post-Game Talk: Ryan Miller Yaps at Rico; Devils lose in SO

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The Devils are currently enjoying the benefit of a hot start to their regular season, or they would already be out of the top 8. Regardless, after dropping 4 in a row, Monday's game against Toronto has become a must win. I don't care if it takes starting Keith Kinkaid to give this team a spark, something must be done to stop the slide - or it may be time to hit the panic button.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Doing what Miller did is just such an anti-hockey thing. Even in ****ing beer league you get blasted for doing things like that. Once I actually taunted a guy after we scored, I had been the in front of goal guy and he was crosschecking me like mad, right in that mid spot in the back between the pants and chest-protector where there is no protection and after we scored I I turned to him and told him there you go *********. God did I hear it from their bench, I felt so bad. I went and apologized before next face-off though. You just don't do these things.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also don't know why people blame Moose for the shootout. I don't know how you can blame him for the shootout. He was BAD in the shootout yes, but it's not like he kept ******** the bed after one of our guys would score one for him. Kovy hits the post, and Henrique gives Miller an easy glove save. Personally I don't feel confident anymore once we get to the shootout at all. It's not the goalie, but the shooters really. We've scored one shootout goal on like 10 tries now this year? This team STINKS at shootouts this year, and is gonna have to try to win these games in OT instead of playing for the shootout like they did last year.

We had a couple of good shifts in OT, but it's hard when you have to spend 2.5 minutes of the 5, killing penalties. I was impressed with the PK though.

Elum

Jan 30, 2013
Doing what Miller did is just such an anti-hockey thing. Even in ****ing beer league you get blasted for doing things like that. Once I actually taunted a guy after we scored, I had been the in front of goal guy and he was crosschecking me like mad, right in that mid spot in the back between the pants and chest-protector where there is no protection and after we scored I I turned to him and told him there you go *********. God did I hear it from their bench, I felt so bad. I went and apologized before next face-off though. You just don't do these things.

I'm 99% sure the thing between Miller and Henrique was a result of the Ennis and Henrique incident. Henrique also said " next time, next time we'll go. **** you". Should be a fun game next week.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Also don't know why people blame Moose for the shootout. I don't know how you can blame him for the shootout. He was BAD in the shootout yes, but it's not like he kept ******** the bed after one of our guys would score one for him. Kovy hits the post, and Henrique gives Miller an easy glove save. Personally I don't feel confident anymore once we get to the shootout at all. It's not the goalie, but the shooters really. We've scored one shootout goal on like 10 tries now this year? This team STINKS at shootouts this year, and is gonna have to try to win these games in OT instead of playing for the shootout like they did last year.

We had a couple of good shifts in OT, but it's hard when you have to spend 2.5 minutes of the 5, killing penalties. I was impressed with the PK though.

PK was 6/6, brah. Good times.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Only reason we lost this game was shoddy goal-tending. Team is fine, but we need Marty back.

As far as yesterday goes I agree. Two of the three goals were very stoppable, and people can harp on the offense, and in many of the recent losses rightfully so, but 3 goals should be enough and Moose needs to make some of those saves. Also he was awful in the SO. Marty is one of the last few pieces that will click us back into the win column.

That said as much it sucks we lost, this game was another step in the right direction. I get the frustration with all the loses, but forest through the trees here we are starting to get back to what we were doing.

PK looked really good today, back to the power kill we know it can be.

CBGB looked good, and continue to prove how important they are for this team to be at the next level.

Loki continues to show he was a damn steal for a 5th rounder. We would of never drafted anything as good as him with that pick. In fact shockingly him and Matteau played well on that line, if anything Kovy didn't have his best game. I look forward to seeing Loki in this lineup when everything else starts humming again.

Henrique's shorty!!!! We need his great hands to get back on target and hopefully that goal will be the slump breaker for him.

I liked Clarkson today, he looked better then the last game, that line overall was creating chances and looking fired up. In fact all of the top 3 lines were cycling well. D wasn't terrible either.

Bad things, the finishing is still not quite where it needed to be, and it falls mostly on Zajac. Again he was on the doorstep multiple times and could not elevate the puck at all. We could of won 5-3 if he was on his game right now. His overall game is good, but he needs to finish. Want to see Elias and Clarkson back on the score sheet too. Kovy looks a bit snake bitten as well and that needs to change.

I like him, and wanted him to work but it is becoming clearer that Butler is the weakest link right now. That line could be strong, but Butler isn't cutting it and that is where Lou needs to work some magic and get a replacement in. IF Matteau can play like he did the past two games I don't mind using him until Zubs returns, but Butler seriously needs to either step up or get out.

Moose needs to sit pronto. He looked soft as hell again today, was slow getting from post to post and was small as hell on two of those goals. He needs to stop one of those, just no excuse really. I get how some people love him so much they refuse to blame him for anything, but he has been hurting us lately and has definitely helped extend this losing streak further then it should of gone. Last two games are falling on him more. Also good god he was terrible in the SO, way to easy for them.

Power play needs to get its act together. Jesus it looks bad right now.

So overall Carter returns and proves his and CBGB's worth. Loki continues to impress. Rico hopefully is getting back to normal, and overall we are starting to play better. Still PP sucks and we are seriously missing Marty, though understood as any team would miss their starting goaltender for a few games. Get Marty and his puck handling back and we should be ok.

Also the Refs were god awful. How you miss Kovy getting clearly cross-checked, but then call complete ******** in OT is beyond me. We all rag on Zids taking stupid penalties, and rightfully so, but he didn't do anything wrong in OT. Thank the refs for guaranteeing that went to a shootout.

And yes it is Moose's fault in the shootout Bleed. Even if Kovy and Henrique scored, Miller was eventually going to stop one because he was playing everyone correctly. Moose looked like a hot mess and if it went 3 or 4 rounds he would of let up 3 or 4 goals. He came out way to far and stayed out way to far on both shooters and made no adjustments. We weren't winning that shootout with Moose today. Sorry but that is the truth.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't get me wrong. Moose was BAD in the shootout. Downright PATHETIC! Like Yann Danis bad, but the shootout isn't on him. HOWEVER! If one of our guys scored then he would have deserved the blame. It's like when we got shut out by that padwall jabroni on the island last year. Some people on here had the nerve to blame Marty for letting in one goal, but we couldn't score on the leaning tower of padsa Anders Nilsson. You have to score to win, and we didn't score. Or the time people blasted Marty for the 2-0 loss in game 5 against Florida. He ****ed up playing the puck (Very Moose esque) and people blamed him, but we didn't score.

All of that said I don't feel confident with Moose, but all you ''I feel more confident with Hedberg than Brodeur'' people got your wish. Ain't looking so good is it? I can't blame Moose for the last Winnipeg game, but the one at home he was horrible. Moose is a backup though. Let's hope we get the elite vintage Marty we've been seeing this year when he gets back in. That's what we need right now.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
This was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in ****ing forever. The phantom trip on Henny called on Ehrhoff, the brutal call on Zidlicky in OT, the non call on Regehr cross checking Kovy, the Porter boarding call on Matteau, etc etc.

Brutal all around. But Thursday should be much more fun now with the chippy play increased. Ill be there!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Don't get me wrong. Moose was BAD in the shootout. Downright PATHETIC! Like Yann Danis bad, but the shootout isn't on him. HOWEVER! If one of our guys scored then he would have deserved the blame. It's like when we got shut out by that padwall jabroni on the island last year. Some people on here had the nerve to blame Marty for letting in one goal, but we couldn't score on the leaning tower of padsa Anders Nilsson. You have to score to win, and we didn't score. Or the time people blasted Marty for the 2-0 loss in game 5 against Florida. He ****ed up playing the puck (Very Moose esque) and people blamed him, but we didn't score.

All of that said I don't feel confident with Moose, but all you ''I feel more confident with Hedberg than Brodeur'' people got your wish. Ain't looking so good is it? I can't blame Moose for the last Winnipeg game, but the one at home he was horrible. Moose is a backup though. Let's hope we get the elite vintage Marty we've been seeing this year when he gets back in. That's what we need right now.

Moose showed nothing for me to have any sort of confidence in him winning that shootout. I get what you are saying though, and Kovy's shot was not very good either. Still they both could of scored and Moose would of still let in everything it seemed. That third goal was terrible too, and the other two, while not ALL on him were stoppable despite the defensive breakdowns. Doesn't matter how good a team is playing, there will sometimes where the other team breaks the D just on the bounce of the puck alone and the Goalie has to stop those. Moose isn't stopping those right now.

He was definitely worse in the home Jets game, but he wasn't great in the other Jets game either. Still the offense gets more blame in the 2nd Jets game as they barely challenged Pavelec in that one.

We need Marty back because he was making those big saves that we need, and his puck handling REALLY helps our slow ass D get out of the zone and break out easier. Moose is just another grenade handler on a team that has to many already.

Also yes the refs were horrid both ways today. Still I think we have the right to be a bit more sore about it because a crap call in OT pretty much guarantees a loss, or a shootout at that point. Terrible call and an even worse time to call it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need Marty back because he was making those big saves that we need, and his puck handling REALLY helps our slow ass D get out of the zone and break out easier.

But but but but! Marty sucks! Hedberg should split starts with him 50/50! Brodeur's save percentage the last two years suggests he's a below average goaltender! Tomas Vokoun is better!:laugh:

Seriously someone on the main board said that Vokoun was a top 10, but Brodeur wasn't on that persons list.

Jokemas Chokoun? Has that person seen him play the last two years?:help:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Also yes the refs were horrid both ways today. Still I think we have the right to be a bit more sore about it because a crap call in OT pretty much guarantees a loss, or a shootout at that point. Terrible call and an even worse time to call it.

Love you guys, live with you down here, frequent the Rock a lot. But you can't say either team could be more pissed than the other regarding the refs.

Yeah, the OT call was horrid, and yeah, you simply can't make a call there at that time, especially one that's highly questionable. But you killed that off. Buffalo had the PP negated within 20 seconds on that bad Ehrhoff call, and who's to say the full PP wouldn't have led to a goal and changed the tone completely? (That is in jest, as Buffalo's PP is atrocious, probably wouldnt have scored but you get the point.)

Refs tainted a game that was back and forth, chippy, and could've been even better with more flow and less whistles.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's improved his play which you could see coming since he was playing so far below his capacity.

Side, tangential note: becomes clearer by the game that the Calder trophy that Myers won was really the Callinder trophy. Myers sucks at hockey. Period. Misses Henrik big time!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Love you guys, live with you down here, frequent the Rock a lot. But you can't say either team could be more pissed than the other regarding the refs.

Yeah, the OT call was horrid, and yeah, you simply can't make a call there at that time, especially one that's highly questionable. But you killed that off. Buffalo had the PP negated within 20 seconds on that bad Ehrhoff call, and who's to say the full PP wouldn't have led to a goal and changed the tone completely? (That is in jest, as Buffalo's PP is atrocious, probably wouldnt have scored but you get the point.)

Refs tainted a game that was back and forth, chippy, and could've been even better with more flow and less whistles.

Ya we killed it, but most times no matter how good a PK a team isn't going to kill a 4 on 3, its just insanely hard. Plus even if you do because OT is so short there is very little time after the kill to turn it around and win. Yes it can happen, but odds are it won't thus you get a shootout which I think most would agree win or lose is a damn crapshoot half the time. I didn't like it last year when we won a ton of them and I don't like them now.

Ya the call on Ehrhoff was terrible too, but a bad call at that point in the game is a lot easier to recover from then one in OT, that is all I am saying. Either way you are right as it totally killed the flow of the game. I honestly hated all the PPs we got, felt like with the flow we had we could of won in regulation if we were allowed to play instead of having to stop because of bad calls.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
As far as yesterday goes I agree. Two of the three goals were very stoppable, and people can harp on the offense, and in many of the recent losses rightfully so, but 3 goals should be enough and Moose needs to make some of those saves. Also he was awful in the SO. Marty is one of the last few pieces that will click us back into the win column.

That said as much it sucks we lost, this game was another step in the right direction. I get the frustration with all the loses, but forest through the trees here we are starting to get back to what we were doing.

PK looked really good today, back to the power kill we know it can be.

CBGB looked good, and continue to prove how important they are for this team to be at the next level.

Loki continues to show he was a damn steal for a 5th rounder. We would of never drafted anything as good as him with that pick. In fact shockingly him and Matteau played well on that line, if anything Kovy didn't have his best game. I look forward to seeing Loki in this lineup when everything else starts humming again.

Henrique's shorty!!!! We need his great hands to get back on target and hopefully that goal will be the slump breaker for him.

I liked Clarkson today, he looked better then the last game, that line overall was creating chances and looking fired up. In fact all of the top 3 lines were cycling well. D wasn't terrible either.

Bad things, the finishing is still not quite where it needed to be, and it falls mostly on Zajac. Again he was on the doorstep multiple times and could not elevate the puck at all. We could of won 5-3 if he was on his game right now. His overall game is good, but he needs to finish. Want to see Elias and Clarkson back on the score sheet too. Kovy looks a bit snake bitten as well and that needs to change.

I like him, and wanted him to work but it is becoming clearer that Butler is the weakest link right now. That line could be strong, but Butler isn't cutting it and that is where Lou needs to work some magic and get a replacement in. IF Matteau can play like he did the past two games I don't mind using him until Zubs returns, but Butler seriously needs to either step up or get out.

Moose needs to sit pronto. He looked soft as hell again today, was slow getting from post to post and was small as hell on two of those goals. He needs to stop one of those, just no excuse really. I get how some people love him so much they refuse to blame him for anything, but he has been hurting us lately and has definitely helped extend this losing streak further then it should of gone. Last two games are falling on him more. Also good god he was terrible in the SO, way to easy for them.

Power play needs to get its act together. Jesus it looks bad right now.

So overall Carter returns and proves his and CBGB's worth. Loki continues to impress. Rico hopefully is getting back to normal, and overall we are starting to play better. Still PP sucks and we are seriously missing Marty, though understood as any team would miss their starting goaltender for a few games. Get Marty and his puck handling back and we should be ok.

Also the Refs were god awful. How you miss Kovy getting clearly cross-checked, but then call complete ******** in OT is beyond me. We all rag on Zids taking stupid penalties, and rightfully so, but he didn't do anything wrong in OT. Thank the refs for guaranteeing that went to a shootout.

And yes it is Moose's fault in the shootout Bleed. Even if Kovy and Henrique scored, Miller was eventually going to stop one because he was playing everyone correctly. Moose looked like a hot mess and if it went 3 or 4 rounds he would of let up 3 or 4 goals. He came out way to far and stayed out way to far on both shooters and made no adjustments. We weren't winning that shootout with Moose today. Sorry but that is the truth.

A sane, rational post. Such a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ya we killed it, but most times no matter how good a PK a team isn't going to kill a 4 on 3, its just insanely hard. Plus even if you do because OT is so short there is very little time after the kill to turn it around and win. Yes it can happen, but odds are it won't thus you get a shootout which I think most would agree win or lose is a damn crapshoot half the time. I didn't like it last year when we won a ton of them and I don't like them now.

Ya the call on Ehrhoff was terrible too, but a bad call at that point in the game is a lot easier to recover from then one in OT, that is all I am saying. Either way you are right as it totally killed the flow of the game. I honestly hated all the PPs we got, felt like with the flow we had we could of won in regulation if we were allowed to play instead of having to stop because of bad calls.

Good post. Agree with everything here. Hate shootouts myself, and definitely easier to recover from a call at the time in the game of Ehrhoff's penalty versus Marek's. I hate when officiating has a bearing on the outcome of a hockey game; yesterday afternoon was just a poor reflection on the league IMO.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Nope. Refs sucked all around. Everyone on both sides should be equally pissed.

Honestly, this was not a good game IMO. Poor hockey from both sides. Yeah, they looked a bit better, but I'm leaning towards thinking that's because Buffalo isn't very good. The D is starting to fall into Pens or Flyers bad at times and the offense just can't make up for those mistakes like the aforementioned can. The effort level and intensity just isn't there either. It's like they've been just going through the motions for the past 8 games or so.

No need to panic though. This team is streaky as hell. The softer the schedule the weaker they play as well. I think Pete is a good enough coach to get this turned around.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Watch Enroth start on Thursday
Light him up and taunt Miller sitting on the bench. I want to see a gif of his face after that.

As a Sabres fan, I come in peace. I'm just curious why you guys thought the Sabres played a dirty game today (You guys are talking like it was one of the dirtiest games of hockey in the NHL this year)? The two primary pairs who were in each other's faces tonight were Ott-Clarkson, and Kaleta-Kovalchuk. I'd say each of the partners in these pairs dished it out to the other pretty equally.

You can say that Regher cross checked Kovalchuk late in the game (which should have been a penalty, but I don't think was with malicious intent), but at the same time I could bring up that Ennis got boarded twice (no, "he's so small" isn't a good excuse for boarding).

Just curious what specific plays upset you guys the most.
We`re not a dirty team at all. We play like Lamoriello would, based off his philosophy, tough but respectfully. Replace "dirty" with "******", case closed. If your players like doing this stuff, that`s your problem, but don`t act as if you didn`t see what was wrong/blame us for being upset about it.

It takes two to tango. When a 6ft3 220lbs guy pushes (while being barely in motion) a 5ft7 185lbs midget, who`s off balance, it`s hardly a boarding.

He was 8th in Sv% the year prior to that Olympic year. Last year, he had a 1.91 GAA in his last 35 games after coming off that concussion ( couldn't find the sv% numbers). This year he's 15th in Sv% even with the horrendous defense the Sabres are playing.
This is why I said people shouldn`t overreact. He`s still one of the best goalies in the league. That said, his game isn`t as good as it used to be and that`s fine.

He`s still a POS though.

I'm sorry, but this deserves a facepalm. So many amusing posts because of a loss.
And this is not true at all. The outcome of the game doesn`t matter all that much if at all. It`s the things people witnessed that rubbed them the wrong way, and rightfully so.

I also find it amusing how you`re blind to the fact he acted inappropriately. Plus how you`re trying to tell people how they should feel. Very cute.

Who are you?

This was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in ****ing forever. The phantom trip on Henny called on Ehrhoff, the brutal call on Zidlicky in OT, the non call on Regehr cross checking Kovy, the Porter boarding call on Matteau, etc etc.

Brutal all around. But Thursday should be much more fun now with the chippy play increased. Ill be there!
Exactly what I said yesterday. It was NFL replacement refs bad or worse.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's no way Miller doesn't start Thursday, that would be the ultimate weenie move. As it is I'm already worried this game is going to be what turns around Buffalo's season, and they'll talk about how Miller and the Sabres 'didn't take any crap'.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
TOR will be the first team that the devils have played above them in the standings since this terrible stretch began......

glenwo2

LINDY RUFF NEEDS VIAGRA!!
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Ughh
What are we gonna do when Marty's gone?
Crazy big shoes to fill and I really can't imagine this team without #30 in goal.
I guess don't worry about it til we get there??

That's a scary thought.

But inevitable. Who will it be, though?

Kinkaid?

Wedgewood?

Frazee???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or maybe Lou drafts the Son of Marty? :sarcasm:

Emperor said all I wanted to say and that is that even if Kovy scored, Moose would've let in a goal on the Sabres first attempt. Then IF Rico scored next, Moose would've let in the 2nd goal.....and so forth.

Moose was just downright horrendous and has fluctuated between Mediocre to Just-Plain-Awful ever since Marty was placed on IR.

And really...the main culprit in many of his poor performances is his poor puckhandling and bad positioning (which, as a veteran, he at least should know better as far as that goes).

I bet Kinky knows how to handle the puck better than Moose. Of course, obvious statement is obvious. :sarcasm:

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Hi, I come in peace (I swear).
I was not able to watch or even listen to the game because I had to work so I have no idea of what happened during the game. As Im reading it looks like the Sabres were throwing cheap shots which I can believe but them coming from Ennis is a bit odd. People also said their was taunting? Can someone give me a rundown with some specifics? Im just curious.
Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2