Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (Practicing with Team, Full Contact)

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Bummer... What can you do?

I will still find enjoyment from watching all the playoff match-ups though...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We have no clue how Yandle would fair on the PK here since AV doesn't allow him to play on it, ever. If you think him not playing on the PK is any indication of how good he would be on it then you are out to lunch.

There is no way Boyle or Girardi are more effective on the PK than Yandle would be. I'd be willing to be a lot on that, especially Boyle.

That being said, I don't think Yandle is better than McDonagh, but it seems that AV's lineup decisions are markedly better when he's out of the lineup. If we didn't have such a dope of a coach, that wouldn't be the case. Unfortunately, the team seems to thrive when Yandle gets more ice time. When McD is out that happens. When he isn't, we often see more Girardi/Staal/Boyle.

I would suggest you go to NHL.com and check Yandle's situational ice time from his rookie season on. If you think that it's just AV--it's not. Dave Tippett did his level best to keep Keith Yandle off his penalty killing unit. Why?

Anyway it's asinine to suggest that Yandle would be a better penalty killing defenseman than Girardi who has done it for years and much more often than not the Rangers in those years have had one of the best penalty killing units in the league.

Yandle is our best most instinctual and creative puck moving defenseman. My observation of him tells me that he's at the best when he has a bit of space to work with and at his worst when he's under heavy pressure. You can say that about practically every d-man but there are exceptions. Stralman was one and McDonagh is another. Any case Girardi is more able to handle the absorb the physical play that comes from playing lots of minutes on the PK. Yandle isn't.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
The team is ****ed anyway, but this just cements it. At least we get to see McIlrath again lol.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Worried that his absence will be used as an excuse and that we won't make the adequate changes this offseason, though we probably wouldn't have anyway

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Something tells me he won't be out for long. But who knows.

We'll find out later today.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yes, worried about playoffs.. However, great that we finally got in. It`s hard in this league to even qualify - and that was our main goal and we successfully accomplished that well done!!

It will both fun & exciting when playoffs starts with or without home advantage! :)
LGR!! :handclap:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I were the Rangers, I would be looking to rest a couple of players for a few games. Boyle. McDonagh. E Staal. Brassard. MZA. They aren't catching Pittsburgh and who cares if they do? Worst case is they fall to 1st wildcard and play FLA in lieu of Pitt? Good deal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He'll play through it. id be shocked if he didn't

If at all possible. It wouldn't surprise me though to see him sit out the final three regular season games now. If there are any large concerns about the injury--they'll rest him and see how things look in a week or so. Definitely don't expect to see him tonight.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
He can't play if he is unable to grip a stick

Klein was back in 4 weeks? Playoffs start in a week, round one - two weeks long. Probably have him back for round two.

...or we suck ass without him and hes ready to tee-off with the boys on May 1st.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Klein was back in 4 weeks? Playoffs start in a week, round one - two weeks long. Probably have him back for round two.

...or we suck ass without him and hes ready to tee-off with the boys on May 1st.

If we can get past Crosby, Kessel, and Letang without him

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I would suggest you go to NHL.com and check Yandle's situational ice time from his rookie season on. If you think that it's just AV--it's not. Dave Tippett did his level best to keep Keith Yandle off his penalty killing unit. Why?

Anyway it's asinine to suggest that Yandle would be a better penalty killing defenseman than Girardi who has done it for years and much more often than not the Rangers in those years have had one of the best penalty killing units in the league.

Yandle is our best most instinctual and creative puck moving defenseman. My observation of him tells me that he's at the best when he has a bit of space to work with and at his worst when he's under heavy pressure. You can say that about practically every d-man but there are exceptions. Stralman was one and McDonagh is another. Any case Girardi is more able to handle the absorb the physical play that comes from playing lots of minutes on the PK. Yandle isn't.

And yet, you completely disregard the fact that he has, throughout his career not be tried there. You are also making an assumption that DT didn't play him there because he was bad at it. My guess would be, since Yandle was basically playing an average of 24 minutes a night over the course of the season, he needed to give him some minutes to rest. Obviously there's no debate that his offensive skills are in the elite level for D-Men (unless you're really dense). Maybe DT just wanted to utilize his Ice time in those situations rather than "wasting" him on the PK.

And herein lies the problem with AV. He doesn't give Yandle 24 minutes a night. In his short time last year he averaged just under 20 and this year he is averaging 1 second over 20. If you're not going to give Yandle those 4 extra minutes in offensive situations than he should be trying him on the PK.

My argument isn't "should Yandle be used on the PK" my argument is, it's possible he's not as potentially awful as everyone thinks, since frankly, we don't know.

I beleive and the metrics back my eye test up, that this team is better when Yandle is given more minutes. Unfortunately our moronic coach only does that when McD is out of the lineup. I don't think Yandle is a better overall D-Man than McD, but I also don't think it's as far off as many beleive. Yandle rarely plays in his own zone and that in and of itself is a form of defense. McD may be better at structural facets of defense but he plays in his own zone far more and is not nearly as effective when moving the puck (this isn't to say he isn't good--I think he is fantastic). If McD was at the level he was 2 seasons ago, I wouldn't be discussing this, but he hasn't been able to consistently play at that level again.

Regardless, this isn't about McD or Yandle. Obviously this team is strongest when both are in the lineup and utilized properly. However, our coach hasn't come close to doing that ths year.

And don't get me started on Girardi. He is horrendous as this point. Whether we're talking ES or PK. Yandle could be awful on the PK and still be nearly as effective as Girardi. His one skill is shot blocking and clearly that hasn't helped what has amounted to the worst season for our Pk in over a decade.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Next to Lundqvist, I can't think of a long-term injury worse for the Rangers than McDonagh.

Even assuming Staal steps up his game with added minutes to where he has been in the past, this does so many things

1. Messes up the top powerplay unit, and forces us to play a defensive defenseman on the power play
2. Throws a right-handed shooter onto the left side of the ice
3. Forces one of Boyle or Yandle to spend significant time on the penalty kill

Big problems.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I guess the only good news is that he was able to play 3 more shifts...it was was THAT bad he would have left right to the locker room...right? Maybe just a bone bruise? I don't know I'm just praying it's not broken.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave
if he's this injury prone its going to be a very short career. Something to look out for when his contract is up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad