Ryan Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah, I do think his terrible play this season will change. But what won't change is that he is just not a viable option to solve the secondary scoring issue.

If Horvat (who should be our 3rd line C next year) makes the team, I'm just not sure where to stick this guy. Might be best for a change of scenery and for Gillis to unload him while he's still got some value.

Not a great crop of 2nd line C's this offseason, and not sure who we would be able to get in a trade...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I know the obligatory Kesler hate is strong, however he had a fairly decent game. Two short-handed opportunities, setup Higgins and Hank on two solid feats that Niemi simply hand and was good defensively. Obviously, we expect more from him as the catalyst to our scoring outside the seconds, but it will come. If by the twenty game mark his offensive struggles persist, we can begin to worry.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yeah, I do think his terrible play this season will change. But what won't change is that he is just not a viable option to solve the secondary scoring issue.

If Horvat (who should be our 3rd line C next year) makes the team, I'm just not sure where to stick this guy. Might be best for a change of scenery and for Gillis to unload him while he's still got some value.

Not a great crop of 2nd line C's this offseason, and not sure who we would be able to get in a trade...

If the Rangers and Canucks continue to struggle at the quarter poll, give AV his favourites and continue down the youth movement in Vancouver...

To NY- Kesler, Bieksa
To Van- Stepan, Del Zotto, JT Miller

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If the Rangers and Canucks continue to struggle at the quarter poll, give AV his favourites and continue down the youth movement in Vancouver...

To NY- Kesler, Bieksa

Very interesting.

Although at this point, you may be selling Kesler at an all-time low value.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Trade him while his value is still high, I absolutely hate that we might have too, but we could get a kings random for him now.

1st + top end center prospect

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Kesler has had far more disapointing bad seasons than the 2 good ones hes had. Hes SO over rated. If he was wearing a Weise jersey nobody would even notice. Not sure why he constantly gets a free pass. Hes played a great series against nashville a few years ago and been ordinary since. He doesnt even beat people with speed anymore

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Haha here come the proposals.

Give it time folks. He hasnt looked good out there but its a long season and once he gets going hes a hard man to stop.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I know the obligatory Kesler hate is strong, however he had a fairly decent game. Two short-handed opportunities, setup Higgins and Hank on two solid feats that Niemi simply hand and was good defensively. Obviously, we expect more from him as the catalyst to our scoring outside the seconds, but it will come. If by the twenty game mark his offensive struggles persist, we can begin to worry.

Was it him who set up Higgins for that point-blank chance, or Hansen?

Either way, seemed like his line was the only one that could generate much of anything against SJS in the early going.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
@Beach. The thing with your formula is that it assumes Daniel-kesler working is a sure thing, which it isn't. We know the Sedins work, we don't know any other combination that do for certain. On paper, sure it looks good, but what's really the best case scenario? We have two good scoring lines and our offense is rolling...then what? The Sedins stay split up the entire season? Eh, don't know about that. So then at some point down the road Torts is going to re-unite the twins as a slump buster, are we back to square 1 with Kesler?

No, imo I think its better to be trying to find Kesler a ling term role in Torts ssystem, and find linemates that fit that role. I'm fine with splitting the Sedins up for a period here and there, but nothing longer term (also like to see Kesler riding shotgun with the Sedins a couple shifts per game). Shuffling the line ups as you've proposed threatens our immediate success by splitting up our best line, but also offers no potential long term solution unless you are willing to make it a permanant change.

As we get guys back into the line up I'd expect we will see kes play with a few winger combos, but Daniel time will be limited. Best thing about getting kassian back, it frees up santorelli to get kesler going. :D

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
My line up with Kassian back (assuming he'll slot in with the twins based on torts previous comments):

Sedin-sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Santorelli
Higgins-Richardson-Hansen
Sestito-Dalpe-Weise

Getting better anyway...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
@Beach. The thing with your formula is that it assumes Daniel-kesler working is a sure thing, which it isn't. We know the Sedins work, we don't know any other combination that do for certain. On paper, sure it looks good, but what's really the best case scenario? We have two good scoring lines and our offense is rolling...then what? The Sedins stay split up the entire season? Eh, don't know about that. So then at some point down the road Torts is going to re-unite the twins as a slump buster, are we back to square 1 with Kesler?

No, imo I think its better to be trying to find Kesler a ling term role in Torts ssystem, and find linemates that fit that role. I'm fine with splitting the Sedins up for a period here and there, but nothing longer term (also like to see Kesler riding shotgun with the Sedins a couple shifts per game). Shuffling the line ups as you've proposed threatens our immediate success by splitting up our best line, but also offers no potential long term solution unless you are willing to make it a permanant change.

As we get guys back into the line up I'd expect we will see kes play with a few winger combos, but Daniel time will be limited. Best thing about getting kassian back, it frees up santorelli to get kesler going. :D

I don't think you'll have to worry about it if the offense is rolling. It's a good problem to have IMO. Much rather worry about that than us still trying to find "chemistry" down the stretch. It also assumes that they'll be scoring all season long, of which there's no guarantee.

At worst it'll be a backup plan for the playoffs because you only have 4 losses max and the stakes are so much higher. Even AV at least switched up Burrows with Samuelsson whenever they struggled.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

To NY- Kesler, Bieksa

Not a fan of Del Zotto, but that would have been a great trade for us assuming we will never get our Kesler back.

It won't happen though. Not even sure if NYR would give up Stepan for Kesler and Bieksa (due to the age of Bieksa and uncertainty around Kesler).

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Not a fan of Del Zotto, but that would have been a great trade for us assuming we will never get our Kesler back.

It won't happen though. Not even sure if NYR would give up Stepan for Kesler and Bieksa (due to the age of Bieksa and uncertainty around Kesler).

Well, their GM is Sather, so anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad