Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Ive been impressed with Joker this year, and with Yanni's emergence, I think it's time to see Bryson out. I know he's a popular guy in the room, but moving him + a forward out, and sending Levi to Rochester, could go a long way. And Yanni stepping in the way he has makes a lot of that possible.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ive been impressed with Joker this year, and with Yanni's emergence, I think it's time to see Bryson out. I know he's a popular guy in the room, but moving him + a forward out, and sending Levi to Rochester, could go a long way. And Yanni stepping in the way he has makes a lot of that possible.

Even just assigning Bryson for now. No one is claiming that salary for a 6/7.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Even if Bryson were claimed (he won’t be) we are no longer talking about the 7th defensemen in the organization. If there were a long term injury he isn’t getting the spot. Johnson is far above him. Stillman is a fine 8 for this year. Bryson isn’t getting a QO after the season anyway. He makes far too much for an 8.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Got some data to back that up?
I’m surprised some of you want to dismantle our improved PK. Especially after all the talk about needing to improve it during the offseason.

Johnson-Dahlin
Power-Jokiharju
Samuelsson-EJ/Clifton

Switch pairings as needed situationally. Wouldn’t be opposed to having Sammy sit a couple either the way he’s been playing.
The dman most likely to sit for Ryan Johnson would be Joker. He plays little on PK and no PP. Which is how they would want to use RyJohnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
RyJo is definitely one of the 6 best defensemen in the organization. But you don’t sit Clifton/EJ for a number of reasons. He’ll have a permanent spot when EJ leaves in the off-season

I still think you send RyJo down to the AHL for a lot of minutes. He’ll get plenty of starts in the NHL because of injuries.

Reactions: Bendium

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
RyJo is definitely one of the 6 best defensemen in the organization. But you don’t sit Clifton/EJ for a number of reasons. He’ll have a permanent spot when EJ leaves in the off-season

I still think you send RyJo down to the AHL for a lot of minutes. He’ll get plenty of starts in the NHL because of injuries.
He’s been markedly better than Samuelsson too. That’s three.

At what point does it become about icing the best team?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Clifton is far from irreplaceable on the PK. RyJo could take those minutes...could. We can debate how D-corps ice time should be divvied up - they are all reasonable points of view. What looks incredibly odd/dumb is to waste a roster spot by keeping Bryson. Rousek has played more games. The only guesses I have all throw some shady stuff toward the organization so I don't want to flame...but it really doesn't make sense.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He’s been markedly better than Samuelsson too. That’s three.

At what point does it become about icing the best team?
I don’t disagree, but I do think it’s a tough decision. Healthy scratching samuelsson, EJ, or Clifton could have repercussions that does harm the team

I think the issues for the forwards and goalie, on the other hand, are much much easier decisions

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don’t disagree, but I do think it’s a tough decision. Healthy scratching samuelsson, EJ, or Clifton could have repercussions that does harm the team

I think the issues for the forwards and goalie, on the other hand, are much much easier decisions
This really...really shouldn't cause repercussions...unless those repercussions are guys having a top team attitude and taking the benching like a man, and then coming back and playing better when they get the chance.

Reactions: Snippit

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Ryan Johnson has played better so far than I expected. He clearly is going to be an NHL defenseman in some capacity. I think as long as there is an injury in the top 6 dmen, and you are going to play him in meaningful minutes then he should be up here playing. If you're not going to give him meaningful minutes, or he is serving as a 7th dman not playing, then he should be in Rochester where he will get more practice time, and play big 1st pairing minutes in all situations. The Sabres should be focused on getting him as much instructive playtime to finish his transition to the pro game, preparing him for a fulltime role next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad