Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I feel like him and Samuelsson make great partners for Dahlin and Power. Give RJ a chance while joker/samuelsson, and if succeeds, I think he sticks.

Really like his play

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I've been really impressed with his quick reads. There was one play toward the end of the third where there was a sort of nothing jumble in the neutral zone and it looked like the Canes were about to emerge with an odd man rush from it, and Johnson jumped in for a second to chop the puck up the boards and into opposing territory to force them to regroup.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I've been really impressed with his quick reads. There was one play toward the end of the third where there was a sort of nothing jumble in the neutral zone and it looked like the Canes were about to emerge with an odd man rush from it, and Johnson jumped in for a second to chop the puck up the boards and into opposing territory to force them to regroup.
The play I liked last night was the exit where the Canes blanketed every outlet and he threw a softish puck off the boards forcing the point d to play it or risk it going to an open man. The d had to back off the blueline and we got a change. Old trick but effective.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The play I liked last night was the exit where the Canes blanketed every outlet and he threw a softish puck off the boards forcing the point d to play it or risk it going to an open man. The d had to back off the blueline and we got a change. Old trick but effective.

His use of the boards reminds me of things Dahlin does when he's dialed in - short area but three dimensional thinking about where to put pucks relative to himself and pressure. So far, liking what he's brought, that's for sure.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This kids just seems to have exploded from a developmental standpoint. I think Granato was saying a few months ago that people need to accept the job that is available and a guy like Johnson won't be on the PP long-term with Power and Dahlin here. That there are already guys ahead of him with higher-upside.

My question for the coaches is why not? He seems to accelerate and adapt to every situation and responsibility they add to his game. Why can't he be a top-2 guy? Am I just being a huge fanboy?

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 11.42.32 PM.png

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Another Botterill defenseman working out, he had a really great first few picks that year, arguably taking BPA at both 7 and 31.

Not many GMs can say their first two pucks are BPA or better 5 years later. Still don’t like him!

Reactions: JLewyB

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1