Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I wouldn't say redundant. As an anology, Samuelson is that proper Philips head screwdriver that is comfortable and does the job, Johnson is the Leatherman, great in a pinch and more versatile but not quite as good at that one job
But the proper phillips head screwdriver was purchased on a government contract and costs 4x of the leatherman. Both are bottom 6 players with limited offense, though one may have a bit more to show. The other can’t stay on the ice.

Maybe? I don't see the D-corps as a whole being redundant with steady defensive play though. ***When healthy*** I think the D-corps is well off with either one of them pairing with Dahlin and the other with Jokiharju.
But he costs more than a bottom pair swimgman should. If we want to add top 4 talent we can’t pay a premium for the bottom pair filler. Jmho.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As someone on the record that I figured Ryan would be pushing into the lineup by mid-season, his arrival was only slightly ahead of schedule.

Also funny that the AHL.com stat site has him shooting right even though he's a left shot who plays on the right side. Odd.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The guy who he most closely resembles in style and size is Jokiharju. That RJ can play the right side better than some of their righthand shots is also a perk.
I am not sure he is better on the right. Alot of his foibles come when he tries to get off the wall on his off hand. Either way, he adds what he does at a considerable cost savings for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am not sure he is better on the right. Alot of his foibles come when he tries to get off the wall on his off hand. Either way, he adds what he does at a considerable cost savings for the foreseeable future.

Not something I have noted. Often his issues have been with Clifton or EJ and him on his natural side with lack of outlets.

Reactions: Zman5778

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
If Granato isn't going to play him, Johnson might as well be down in Rochester getting ready for a playoff run. He sure as hell won't be doing that here.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Samuelsson is a great defenceman, RJohnson is meh. Not sure how that makes Samuelsson redundant. Maybe I'm not watching the same team.
Samuelson is a slow offensively inadequate bottom pairing guy who can't stay in the lineup due to fragility. And he is overpaid. Johnson gives everything that Samuelson does at 1/4 price. Is Ryjo meh? Maybe. But we have seen Samuelson already is.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
One positive about selling at the trade deadline is that it opens up opportunities for young players to get more ice time and more consistent roles.

Now…I’ll just take a swig of my coffee and scroll back to see why Ryan Johnson’s thread is bumped up (and then see who they called up with Okposo gone after taking a second…bigger swig)

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
One positive about selling at the trade deadline is that it opens up opportunities for young players to get more ice time and more consistent roles.

Now…I’ll just take a swig of my coffee and scroll back to see why Ryan Johnson’s thread is bumped up (and then see who they called up with Okposo gone after taking a second…bigger swig)
Because having RJ play in a playoff race in Roch is such a bad thing.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

Can I recommend one of these?

1709947655101.jpeg

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

None of the young Roch forwards that matter are ready.

The actual criticism is Adams not claiming a forward or trading for one. f***ing Eric Robinson's on line 1, and he decided no creativity needed.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Is Johnson the odd man out this summer? Package with our #1 pick for the center Adam’s mentioned in his presser?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
What happened to this guy ? I stopped watching months ago but last I heard from the fans is that he was one of our best defensemen lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Samuelson is a slow offensively inadequate bottom pairing guy who can't stay in the lineup due to fragility. And he is overpaid. Johnson gives everything that Samuelson does at 1/4 price. Is Ryjo meh? Maybe. But we have seen Samuelson already is.

That's not a fair assessment of Samuelsson at all.

What happened to this guy ? I stopped watching months ago but last I heard from the fans is that he was one of our best defensemen lol

He's been fine.

Seems like getting experience in a playoff push is the reason for his assignment.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He has games where he shows his inexperience but for the most part he continues to impress.

He will develop into a great #4, possibly even a 3. But it may not be here.

Reactions: Chainshot

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't have a huge problem sending him to rochester to play in their playoff run. That's a good pressure environment. I think he's currently one of the 6 best D in the organization though; so playing him here would make sense too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad