Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I sort of assume this is a paper transaction until someone else is moved. A goalie needs to go, ffs.
At this point either send down Levi and let him play the season there or trade Comrie(or send him down but rather trade so he can stay in the NHL)

The way Adams treats players is frustrating.

I am guessing this is probably a paper transaction and maybe Adams is trying to move a forward.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20231229_120753_Instagram.jpg

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
It's changed names it feels like 80 times since then, perhaps just twice. It's called The Family Diner now. Buckadoo's at one point.
I think we're discussing different places....

They dug the foundation for the 20-foot by 20-foot “box type” wooden building in April 1953. It was completed on June 6, 1953. The sides of the building housed flaps which were pulled down at the end of the business day. They were painted black with multicolored polka dots. The idea for its name the “Pok-A-Dot” originated when they saw a house painted with polka dots.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

8. Ryan Johnson, LHD, 22 (Rochester Americans)
Johnson’s counting stats have never popped for a first-round pick (even as a college senior on a top college team last year), but he’s still a player who has proven himself a good defenseman across levels and also wore a letter at Minnesota last year. He’s the kind of player whose coaches will always tell you how important/effective he is.

He’s a play-driver who has typically played to excellent on-ice/underlying results across levels. Johnson’s biggest asset is his four-way skating and footwork. He can dictate play with his feet, whether that’s side-stepping pressure through the neutral zone, spinning off of it in an escape under pressure in his own zone, or walking the line in the offensive zone.

He adjusts in and out of space effectively and does a great job opening up lanes to pass into (though he’s not much of a shot threat and his comfort with the puck doesn’t include a particularly aggressive style per se). There are actually times when I’d like him to use his feet more often in those ways, instead of just pivoting into an outlet pass when he sees one. There’s room in his game for him to take control a little more. Defensively he gaps the rush effectively and defends within his own zone with smart reads, positioning and routes. He’s not likely going to be a big special-teams guy in the NHL but I like him to stick as a possession-driving No. 4-6 who is quietly effective at both ends at even strength. He can also play both sides, which gives him some flexibility. I thought about ranking him seventh here and liked his game in the AHL in the fall. He can help out a five-man unit in all three zones even if he doesn’t take over in any of them.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
"I thought about ranking him seventh here and liked his game in the AHL in the fall."

I must be missing something here.

Why is he talking about the AHL when Johnson has been taking a (almost) regular shift in the NHL for months?

How is a roster player ranked behind guys who have barely had a sniff of NHL play?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
"I thought about ranking him seventh here and liked his game in the AHL in the fall."

Why is he talking about the AHL when Johnson has been taking a (almost) regular shift in the NHL for months?

How is a roster player ranked behind guys who have barely had a sniff of NHL play?

Seems to be the usual projection of what some player may one day become.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Seeing as it's about the strength of potential, I'm assuming he thinks RJ doesn't have much more to reach his ceiling, which was already low in his eyes, compared to the others.

I would be curious if RJ would be on the roster, if Adams didn't structure the team to be able to expedite his "call up". It seems pretty obvious that Buffalo was going to call him up regardless of his readiness to be on the roster. 9 games in the AHL after a full college career where he had bad offensive numbers, doesn't say he's ready for the NHL, it screams we had to give him a spot otherwise he wouldn't sign here.

And while he's been adequate enough in his role, I don't think he showed enough at the college level, nor in the 3 games I watched of him in the AHL to be given a spot on the team.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Seeing as it's about the strength of potential, I'm assuming he thinks RJ doesn't have much more to reach his ceiling, which was already low in his eyes, compared to the others.

I would be curious if RJ would be on the roster, if Adams didn't structure the team to be able to expedite his "call up". It seems pretty obvious that Buffalo was going to call him up regardless of his readiness to be on the roster. 9 games in the AHL after a full college career where he had bad offensive numbers, doesn't say he's ready for the NHL, it screams we had to give him a spot otherwise he wouldn't sign here.

And while he's been adequate enough in his role, I don't think he showed enough at the college level, nor in the 3 games I watched of him in the AHL to be given a spot on the team.
You imply Adams gifted Johnson an NHL spot in exchange for signing. We heard the same baseless accusation about Levi, which has proven to be wrong.

Ryan is on the roster because he proved himself capable, probably to everyone's shock. Adams lucked out on Johnson's almost seamless transition to the NHL, much like he lucked out on UPL's unexpected development surge.

As far as offensive production is concerned, I think he has upside there, but Dahlin and Power will inevitably be expected to carry that load, so it doesn't matter all that much. IIUC, he was in the same situation at Minnesota.

For a 22 year-old d-man, fresh out of college, and expected to be in Rochester all season, even sticking on the roster has been a huge accomplishment. The team and fanbase should be extremely happy with him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Ryan is on the roster because he proved himself capable, probably to everyone's shock. Adams lucked out on Johnson's almost seamless transition to the NHL, much like he lucked out on UPL's unexpected development surge.
I'm not even sure that Adams "lucked out" on RJ being this good. He made the attempt to ensure that RJ would not HAVE to start this year in the NHL by signing EJ and Cliffy. This way, we knew we had 6 legitimate NHL defenders going into the year. RJ then played his way into the "We're going to play you over Bryson should a long-term injury happen" spot in camp.

He got sent down as our top 6 was established, and Adams wanted RJ getting minutes....so Bryson was tabbed as #7D. Then Sammy got hurt the first time, we called up RJ to play........and we haven't been able to send him down.

THAT SAID -- we need to stop healthy scratching him at this point.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm not even sure that Adams "lucked out" on RJ being this good. He made the attempt to ensure that RJ would not HAVE to start this year in the NHL by signing EJ and Cliffy. This way, we knew we had 6 legitimate NHL defenders going into the year. RJ then played his way into the "We're going to play you over Bryson should a long-term injury happen" spot in camp.

He got sent down as our top 6 was established, and Adams wanted RJ getting minutes....so Bryson was tabbed as #7D. Then Sammy got hurt the first time, we called up RJ to play........and we haven't been able to send him down.

THAT SAID -- we need to stop healthy scratching him at this point.
He makes Samuelson redundant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad