Confirmed with Link: Ryan Ellis traded to PHI. Preds get Myers from PHI and Glass from VGK

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
But you traded a guy that was the #2OA pick in that same draft that's clearly much better now and has a much higher ceiling. Patrick's first two seasons he had more goals than Glass' career high in points. Zero suggest Glass is better now or even close, and even less supports he has a higher ceiling. Patrick has been much better in the league while having legit injury excuses that he appears to be finally getting over.

The rights to Patrick were just traded …. twice. If Glass is the right fit here remains to be seen but as numerous moves over the past few seasons show the highly talented player that doesn’t fit the system doesn’t work out.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm not sure Poile is done making serious renovations to this team.

Still a lot of things that will happen in the next week, but, I really like what he has done so far. Now we just have to hope Seattle takes Duchene or Johansen with minimal sweetener on our end.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think this also gives us some money to sign Ekholm and Granlund.
Cool thing is, we already had that, even with Ellis. (Even with Duchene, even with Joey).

But having more room never hurts. One thing on the Ekholm front is maybe it removes a salary comparable. If Ekholm is willing to take a bit of a discount for us, well, it would be a little awkward if he was making less than Ellis again, when he's so much better than Ellis. Maybe he truly doesn't care about that stuff, and good for him if he doesn't. But now... there's really no question that Ekholm is #2... across the board, including salary.

Reactions: originalpredfan

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Trading Patrick for Glass was smart. Patricks concussion history is a time bomb. And it's not like his 10 points in 50 games last season is mind blowing.

It's not just the concussions. He's had chronic migraine syndrome since Juniors, something the Flyers gambled on and lost. He was very unhappy in Philly, and a lot of that is due to the coach. AV is not a players coach and hard , disinterested and critical on young players. Hart and Myers also suffered (and were openly critized by AV).
Patrick has solid history with Kelly McCrimmon. Hope for his sake, he is able to get afresh start.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I get the frustration with the country club attitude. We take it out on the players. But let’s not forget that Poile allowed that core to remain intact and become whatever it is right now. This isn’t just on the players and the reaction should not be a surprise to Poile.

The one thing he better be absolutely sure about is that he will be able to resign these guys before they become UFA. If FF9 or Ek (or both) walk for nothing then that obviously makes us the loser in all of these trades.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I get the frustration with the country club attitude. We take it out on the players. But let’s not forget that Poile allowed that core to remain intact and become whatever it is right now. This isn’t just on the players and the reaction should not be a surprise to Poile.

The one thing he better be absolutely sure about is that he will be able to resign these guys before they become UFA. If FF9 or Ek (or both) walk for nothing then that obviously makes us the loser in all of these trades.

They arent UFA until next summer. If they dont extend they will be shipped at the deadline for sure

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
time to shit can Forsberg and Ekholm too … Josi as well

burn the whole thing down . tired of the good ol boys club in the locker room
I'd rather not condemn the franchise to a decade of darkness, kthx

* * *​
BFC is still scarred from the time we traded for a guy with his same last name and then flipped him hours later.
Something I'll never have to worry about. hyphenation FTW ;)

* * *​
Thanks for reliving the PTSD, doc! I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE A HEALER!!!!!!!!! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
first, do no harm

Reactions: PredsV82

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I would like to see Duchene back. I don't think Hynes likes him at all as a player, so I expect he is gone. We will see what happens.
Poile's comments in that last interview did not paint anything other than an optimistic realist's understanding of the Duchene situation. He straight up said everything that could go wrong has gone wrong with the Duchene situation to this point. They've had a lot of talks. Everyone has work to do to get him on track and, at least, meeting achievable goals.

Poile's not a prick who trash talks his locker room. He genuinely wants everyone to reach/exceed their potential. But he knows without a doubt that it has not worked out to this point.

Frankly, Duchene's own body language—his pressing rather than looking comfortable—suggests that he is himself fully aware of his own situation.

PS: With Glass now here, the writing is on the wall for anyone to see as far as top 6 centermen.

Reactions: bdub24 and Enoch

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Core players are hard to get. Keeping a good core that both is competitive and provides a tight locker room is really hard. When you have one, you keep it. Keeping it isn't a country club. Its stability. Its reliability that comes with built in identity. Teams that are in constant change are almost always bad teams and bad franchises. There is no good reason why the Flyers haven't win a cup in almost 50 years. They dont win because they cant sit still.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Unfortunately, this core has underperformed for 3 seasons, stability led to mediocrity. When the “core” guys were out with injury, younger, hungrier guys got this team to the playoffs. And they played like a team, not a bunch of overpaid guys playing pickup hockey.

I understand Poile’s thinking to some extent. He can’t completely gut the team and rebuild. He has ice a playoff caliber roster due to the need to make some money for ownership.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Don’t mind this at all.

But this is a rebuild and DP kidding himself if he thinks it isn’t.
Symantecs really. I think most people would call this a retool since it's getting younger and changing the dynamic of the team on the fly. Now, if these players don't work out they could wind up in a complete rebuild.

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Symantecs really. I think most people would call this a retool since it's getting younger and changing the dynamic of the team on the fly. Now, if these players don't work out they could wind up in a complete rebuild.

Yeah I dont know if our owners and in particular our market would tolerate a full 3 to 4 years of real suckage so I'm guessing we keep Josi, Ekholm, Forsberg and hope Saros is good enough to keep us in the playoff picture even if we arent a threat for the Cup

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

And I don't see why this can't be a playoff team. Especially going back to the normal divisions and wild-card playoffs. Kings, Ducks and Sharks are not playoff teams in the Pacific. Coyotes and Wild are not playoff teams in the Central. Oilers and Knights are playoffs teams in the Pacific. Avalanche are the only lock in the Central.

So there's only three teams I think we can certainly say are going to the playoffs, and that leaves the Predators in a pool of eight teams competing for five spots. We need to be better than three teams out of Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary, Seattle and Vancouver. It'll be a battle, but it's not an impossible task. Sounds very similar to last season which ended up being a pretty fun ride.

Added bonus that we're certain to at least be in the thick of things, which is great for developing kids like Tomasino, Tolvanen, Carrier, Fabbro, etc. MUCH better than a full rebuild situation like Buffalo.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Don’t mind this at all.

But this is a rebuild and DP kidding himself if he thinks it isn’t.

I wouldn’t call it a rebuild tbh. We haven’t really traded much of consequence. Yeah I miss the RV of old but he didn’t look like he was going to ever get back to that. Ellis I’m glad to get out from that contract before it gets bad. Him on the rhd was keeping young players from getting a proper shot. We had an aging top 6 and top 4. This helps move us back down in age. If we trade Josi or Forsberg, then I’d say we’re in a rebuild

Reactions: bdub24

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
The rights to Patrick were just traded …. twice. If Glass is the right fit here remains to be seen but as numerous moves over the past few seasons show the highly talented player that doesn’t fit the system doesn’t work out.
Interesting to see how glass plays with y'all. I saw him play almost all of his gezames last season. He looked totally lost. Speed was not there, he bulked up some during summer I heard. Power, not speed. He was not inside the game. Almost never last season. Totally outside the game, even on the pp. They used him as net front presence on the pp... that also was the worst move by the totally weirdo coaching staff right there sire. Ain't even no thang. Glass is more of a skilly guy. But yeah, he wasn't looking good at all last season. A really weird and totally lost soul out there.... don't know if there was something spooky going on in his social life or real life (outside the instagram life I mean). Like some human beings live inside of the internet and computers you already know what I mean of course sire. Like we ain't that type, but some other humans might be. But yeah that's a totally different type of story itself sire. I do write books though, but not these type. That also is a another whole thang.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Even if Poile trades Josi, Ekholm or Forsberg it doesn't mean we are in a full rebuild, just means we might stink for a year maybe two. With that much cap space you can fill in pretty well.

Frankly trading Josi would simply tell me that his concussion history has become a serious problem and Poile is getting out while he can still get pretty good value. We trade Forsberg or Ekholm it will be because they want more than they are worth or want out of town.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Even if Poile trades Josi, Ekholm or Forsberg it doesn't mean we are in a full rebuild, just means we might stink for a year maybe two. With that much cap space you can fill in pretty well.

Cap space is meaningless if the players we need or want will not sign. It wasn’t too long ago that we were destined to sign off the scrap heap. Hopefully we’re past that as a franchise but who knows.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
New York we ain't, but we aren't exactly Winnipeg or Ottawa either.

It wasn’t that long ago we were signing big names like Stalberg, Hendrix, NyQuist etc. heck those might have all been in the same summer. If we do that again then having the free cap space doesn’t mean much.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It wasn’t that long ago we were signing big names like Stalberg, Hendrix, NyQuist etc. heck those might have all been in the same summer. If we do that again then having the free cap space doesn’t mean much.

That was a Finals run, a President's trophy, and a whole lot of Nashville growth ago. That was further back than you think it is.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
I mean looking back to some of our best days we were running Weber Josi Ekholm Ellis as one of the youngest and best top 4’s in the league getting a new team core in that age while retaining a few of our older top guys should keep us competitive and exciting for a while

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad