Confirmed with Link: Ryan Ellis traded to PHI. Preds get Myers from PHI and Glass from VGK

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
What we had to give up for Glass and Myers was an aging and ineffective Ellis. If the deal doesn't work out, the Preds can pluck someone off of free agency next year or promote another prospect to fill the holes just as effectively or more.

With Eichel, we'd have to give up so much to acquire him, that if it didn't work out the franchise is sunk for several years.

It would be different if Buffalo were at the point of trying to offload him for anything they can get, but they're reportedly asking for so much that it's not even a conversation starter. This is the key point that isn't talked about, it's not a case of Preds fans loving the current roster and hating Eichel in a vacuum, it's a real world risk/reward assessment.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Philly knew Ellis was healthy enough to play ... Nashville knew the same about Patrick and Myers (then Glass in turn). Nothing in the conversations surrounding Eichel have that level of clarity or predictability. 31 teams HAVEN'T traded for Eichel yet for a reason.

Jul 12, 2007
Name another " hall of fame talent " that had a similar injury and returned after surgery in full HOF form. Go ahead... I'll wait.
Full HOF form was never mentioned as the likely end point. I noted that he has some guaranteed talent if he recovers, with his suspected HOF pedigree as a top end possibility. I also said all star. Could be any point across the spectrum. Don’t be so dishonest / inaccurate about such minor stuff, that’s the stuff of kids.
Eichel is a project, worthy of undertaking at the right price. I’ve said this about five times. Yet you and others keep woo-hooing about things I didn’t say.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
Philly knew Ellis was healthy enough to play ... Nashville knew the same about Patrick and Myers (then Glass in turn). Nothing in the conversations surrounding Eichel have that level of clarity or predictability. 31 teams HAVEN'T traded for Eichel yet for a reason.
Could be they’re still asking for too much. They want him to go away along with all the bad blood from all the the arguing.
Somebody will take him, when the price is acceptable.
And if he does come back well, you guys will still yelp “nuh uh ! Was NOT wrong ! Should’na happened!”

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
But hey, to answer the misleading inaccurate question ….. Koivu and Lemieux.
Deshaun Watson has a similar situation playing out in the NFL. Not injuries- sickness, but heavy legal / commish problems.
He could come back anywhere on the spectrum of success. While things are looking pretty bleak.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
LOL
Saying Eichel "just needs health work" is like saying the Titanic "just has some water damage"
images

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Exactly. If Buffalo's ask was reasonable and teams felt comfortable taking that risk someone would have gotten him already. The fact no one has done it yet tells you exactly what you need to know. Buffalo is expecting healthy prices for an expensive busted Eichel. No owner wants to give up those assets and risk paying a guy 10 million a season to sit at home and do nothing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Early returns on this trade.. not so good. Myers in the doghouse while Glass got immediately sent back down.
I wonder if Myers is truly in the doghouse... or... whatever is broken on his face is just a case of, well, why play him with a broken face, when we've got 8 defensemen on the roster? :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, Myers had a rough game in Winnipeg, but like I've said he has the highest upside of all the bottom-pairing defensemen, and franky looked fine in the other two games.

For example, I don't think Boro should ever suit up in the NHL again and he's career is unfortunately probably done.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, Myers had a rough game in Winnipeg, but like I've said he has the highest upside of all the bottom-pairing defensemen, and franky looked fine in the other two games.

For example, I don't think Boro should ever suit up in the NHL again and he's career is unfortunately probably done.
At some point they will have done their due-compassionate-diligence on Borowiecki... and can waive him without seeming to be unfair about it. I wonder how long that officially is? 10 games? 20 games?

I guess the counterpoint is that Harpur hasn't started as well as hoped, and we haven't really established much from the guys in Milwaukee yet either. As much as Borowiecki may not be an NHL player anymore, it's not actually clear that we have any other 3rd-pair legit NHL LD atm. :(

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
At some point they will have done their due-compassionate-diligence on Borowiecki... and can waive him without seeming to be unfair about it. I wonder how long that officially is? 10 games? 20 games?

I guess the counterpoint is that Harpur hasn't started as well as hoped, and we haven't really established much from the guys in Milwaukee yet either. As much as Borowiecki may not be an NHL player anymore, it's not actually clear that we have any other 3rd-pair legit NHL LD atm. :(
David Poile usually waits for that 20 game mark to do anything, or seems too.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Go with two RD's? Benning - Myers? What about Davies?

Harpur - Myers has looked rough, I agree.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Sometimes people expect too much from their 6-8 Dmen to begin with then when they make a glaring error that results in a goal they finally have something they can point to as proof that the player "doesn't belong in the NHL anymore" whether that's true or not.
Boro may or may not stick with the team but acting like he's significantly better or worse than any other player in his position is foolish.
Poile stuck with Weber and Irwin for YEARS so I'm not sure why people think he's going to ship out Boro.
The only player we should expect/hope for more from is Myers. He's the only one with the potential to be more than a 6-8. Hopefully, the coaches can work through some of his issues and he can nail down that 5 spot then the coaches can rotate the other 3 in as the 6th to find the best fit.
I think the more likely 3rd pair by the end of the season will be Myers and Benning with Benning on his off side but we'll just have to wait and see.

Davies should never be an option. If the injuries get that bad again this season Allard and Farrance should see time before Davies.

Reactions: triggrman

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Sometimes people expect too much from their 6-8 Dmen to begin with then when they make a glaring error that results in a goal they finally have something they can point to as proof that the player "doesn't belong in the NHL anymore" whether that's true or not.
Boro may or may not stick with the team but acting like he's significantly better or worse than any other player in his position is foolish.
Poile stuck with Weber and Irwin for YEARS so I'm not sure why people think he's going to ship out Boro.
The only player we should expect/hope for more from is Myers. He's the only one with the potential to be more than a 6-8. Hopefully, the coaches can work through some of his issues and he can nail down that 5 spot then the coaches can rotate the other 3 in as the 6th to find the best fit.
I think the more likely 3rd pair by the end of the season will be Myers and Benning with Benning on his off side but we'll just have to wait and see.

Davies should never be an option. If the injuries get that bad again this season Allard and Farrance should see time before Davies.
Does that mean you're coming around on seeing defenseman cycling down below the other goalie finally? :sarcasm::laugh:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I think there's a difference to be noted between "hey, I wish the Preds the had a better 3rd pair LD option than Borowiecki, since he doesn't look like an NHL player anymore" and "hey, I think Poile is going to ship out Boro."

It's still early. So I think appropriate caveats are implied. Borowiecki didn't play last year, maybe he has something else to show as he gets back into it. But... he isn't looking good so far, I don't think anybody would dispute that. As for Harpur... I am more hopeful he gets it back together. Maybe he just needs to feel "uncomfortable" again about having made the NHL full time. And get back to playing within himself more.

Agreed on Davies/Allard/Farrance. I would take Borowiecki and Harpur, even at their early-season levels this year, over Davies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Does that mean you're coming around on seeing defenseman cycling down below the other goalie finally? :sarcasm::laugh:
https://c.tenor.com/6GPR30-rAakAAAAC/grumpy-cat-tarder-sauce.gif

I think there's a difference to be noted between "hey, I wish the Preds the had a better 3rd pair LD option than Borowiecki, since he doesn't look like an NHL player anymore" and "hey, I think Poile is going to ship out Boro."

It's still early. So I think appropriate caveats are implied. Borowiecki didn't play last year, maybe he has something else to show as he gets back into it. But... he isn't looking good so far, I don't think anybody would dispute that. As for Harpur... I am more hopeful he gets it back together. Maybe he just needs to feel "uncomfortable" again about having made the NHL full time. And get back to playing within himself more.

Agreed on Davies/Allard/Farrance. I would take Borowiecki and Harpur, even at their early-season levels this year, over Davies.
There may be better options for a 3rd lhd than Boro but they're all going to have warts and make mistakes so maybe not. As you said though, we don't really know what/who Boro is yet, he's played 4 games this season and it's only his 26th game since March of 2020 and the team is 2-2 with him on the ice.
I too would like to see Harpur get back to where he was at the end of last season. It's not pretty but he was getting the job done and was good around the net.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Farrance-Myers will be good mix, IMHO.
Emphasis on the "will be"... I like the idea of Farrance playing #1 minutes and situations in Milwaukee this year vs. 3rd pair sheltering in Nashville. I mean, unless he starts killing the AHL so badly that we really have no choice... but that's not too likely, right? :dunno:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
This board really needs to have alike a intervention/therapy session. Everyone seems just a bit grumpy these days, including myself.

Honestly hasn't been the same since 303 left us.

Definitely me, 100% guilty

Maybe we can channel this anger into a twitter campaign where we collectively hound Preds reporters for more information on every topic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad