TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Donato is to the Wild as Nino is to the Canes
Coyle and Rask = same
Granny and Fiala = same.
Result = same plus a bunch of cap space.
Fiala is not a top 6 player for 200 feet, and some nights he's not even a top 9 player yet in only the offensive zone (such as last night)

So, no... right now Fiala is not equal to Granlund.

Someday maybe, we hope, but not even close yet.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Donato and Fiala need to do less dangling and more grinding. Shots will come if they get it deep but trying to dangle just leads to turnovers.
It is nice to Donato and Fiala shoot but the dangling is fooling anyone.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Donato and Fiala need to do less dangling and more grinding. Shots will come if they get it deep but trying to dangle just leads to turnovers.
considering how much we do a dump and chase, im fine with the dangle from those 2. let them improve on it, always dumping it in deep to go race to the corner is not the best plan.

Reactions: Al Lagoon and 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The important thing with the dump and chase is to make sure that you have a chase, or there is no point. Some players aren't fast enough, or determined enough to forecheck well. The D & C also works well against some opponents, i.e. Pateryn, Prosser, and not as well against retrieval wizards like Brodin.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you want to add skill to the lineup? You have to be willing to accept the bad that comes with the good with players like that.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
The important thing with the dump and chase is to make sure that you have a chase, or there is no point. Some players aren't fast enough, or determined enough to forecheck well. The D & C also works well against some opponents, i.e. Pateryn, Prosser, and not as well against retrieval wizards like Brodin.
For reference, see the EN goal last night. No one within 30 feet of the puck, and nobody even attempting to retrieve it.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
If you want to add skill to the lineup? You have to be willing to accept the bad that comes with the good with players like that.[/QUOT

True again 2 pair. What better time to let them dangle then now?
I stand corrected.
A Stanley Cup team the Wild is not so let the kids dance.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I never thought I would see the day when someone wished the Wild would do more grinding.

Point taken again. I've got to look at the big picture.
I'd rather see them score off the rush of course but that hasn't happened consistently for awhile now.
I'm just hoping to win the game. A well timed grind seems the only way to keep the puck out of dubnyks net.
Again, let the kids dangle. What have we got to lose!

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Optimist's big picture - add some good short term FAs next year, with cap space PF has won, with a younger core.

Draft well.

Survive.

I like the team's future better now than I did at the beginning of the year.

At least Donato and Fiala don't shoot into the goalie's chest, as so many of the past team did, when they shot.

Saw today that Donato is our leading scorer since joining the team.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Optimist's big picture - add some good short term FAs next year, with cap space PF has won, with a younger core.

Draft well.

Survive.

I like the team's future better now than I did at the beginning of the year.

At least Donato and Fiala don't shoot into the goalie's chest, as so many of the past team did, when they shot.

Saw today that Donato is our leading scorer since joining the team.

Like who?

Fantasy: Potential unrestricted free agents in 2019

I highly doubt many of those players are wanting to sign with the Wild when there could be potentially much better places to either A) longer contract, B) more money or C) deep playoff runs and/or travel schedule.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Like who?

I highly doubt many of those players are wanting to sign with the Wild when there could be potentially much better places to either A) longer contract, B) more money or C) deep playoff runs and/or travel schedule.

Agreed in general with not rushing out to sign any free agents unless it makes perfect sense. I'm really quite okay with sitting on the cap space until we need it. If there's no one that can change our fortunes in free agency, just wait. You never know if Fiala, Kaprizov, etc break out in huge ways and require big raises. I'd rather be able to sign those younger guys to fair contracts than overpay a UFA.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cap space is never a bad thing, and I think that MN has some allure for FA's.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Cap space is never a bad thing, and I think that MN has some allure for FA's.

Such as? I'm definitely not saying there are not any, but what allure?

To name some negatives:

Winnipeg, Nashville are strong teams. Chicago still has probably more allure than any other franchise in the Midwest. Dallas and St. Louis consistently play well in very long stretches of times.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
One of the largest ones is probably the fact that FA's are generally older or later on in their career and MN is one of the best places in the country to raise or start a family. Especially if you want to introduce your kids to hockey once they're old enough. Hockey fans here are crazy about hockey but it doesn't have the spotlight other places have.

I think the bigger issue is the crop of free agents this year don't inspire a ton of confidence. I have no idea what the plan is going to be.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Such as? I'm definitely not saying there are not any, but what allure?

To name some negatives:

Winnipeg, Nashville are strong teams. Chicago still has probably more allure than any other franchise in the Midwest. Dallas and St. Louis consistently play well in very long stretches of times.
MN has a lot of appeal for Canadians, especially ones from the West and smaller towns. Very similar "vibe' to Canada, similar hockey culture, less taxes, not the crazy house prices of Vancouver, and Toronto.

Finns and Swedes also seem to do pretty well here, and find the climate and heritage of the place to have some similarities to home.

CHI has it's charms, but a lot of people, myself included, don't enjoy the fast pace of the mega cities. MN hits the perfect sweet spot of big enough for a lot of amenities, but small enough to be livable. A lot of hockey players are country boys, and like to fish. MN is perfect for that.

The traffic in CHI, TOR, LA, SJ, NYC, etc. sucks! MN is a comparative breeze. Even Seattle and Vancouver are bad.

Reactions: FVM and BigT2002

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Like who?

I think Brock Nelson would be a good add - only 27 as of now, good size - pretty regular 20 goal scorer at center, which for the Wild would be pretty valuable. Not a face off whiz tho.

Reactions: BigT2002

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Brock Nelson would be a good add - only 27 as of now, good size - pretty regular 20 goal scorer at center, which for the Wild would be pretty valuable. Not a face off whiz tho.
I think Nelson would be a very good fit for the wild. Don't think I would be interested in the contract he likely gets though.

Reactions: BigT2002

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think Nelson would be a very good fit for the wild. Don't think I would be interested in the contract he likely gets though.
What do you think he gets? Something like 5x5? Seems way too high but it wouldn't surprise me if someone gave him that.

It might not be outrageous with the cap going up. It's not like we have any other Cs of that quality to pull up from Iowa in the next few years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad