Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hand skills aren't there.
Yah, he seems a little behind the play with the puck in and around offensive threat zone. I actually see not much more in his productive ability than what Marcus Foligno shows. Similar style player crashing and checking but little actual finish when close.
Hope there is more to Greenway's development and improvement this coming season. Or he should be part of a package for a 2C.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I hope he stays. Honestly he might be my favorite Wild player aside from Suter.

I would love for him to stay too, but he might be getting pushed out sooner rather than later, unfortunately. Which is ridiculous, because he's probably the second best goal scoring forward we have on the team.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Feel like he needs to be on a line with a player like Fiala who's gonna go get the puck, carry it, then shoot or dish it for a scoring chance. But if Fiala is stapled with Staal since he's our only offensive center, idk if you can really put Donato on a top line with them. Will be interesting to see if BG has a spot for him after the hopefully large amount of roster juggling.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Feel like he needs to be on a line with a player like Fiala who's gonna go get the puck, carry it, then shoot or dish it for a scoring chance. But if Fiala is stapled with Staal since he's our only offensive center, idk if you can really put Donato on a top line with them. Will be interesting to see if BG has a spot for him after the hopefully large amount of roster juggling.

Surely you can. It's not like Fiala and Staal are defensive stalwarts. Donato isn't going to detract from that line. Especially when players like Greenway and Foligno have been tried and failed there.

This is what I'm hoping for:

Donato-Staal-Fiala
Kaprizov-x-Zuccarello
Parise/Foligno-Ek-Kunin
Foligno/Parise-Sturm-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio/Addison
Hunt/Pateryn

Jettison Greenway into the sun, trade Dumba for a 2C, move Parise to the bottom 6, and you have room for Donato to prove himself in the top 6

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Surely you can. It's not like Fiala and Staal are defensive stalwarts. Donato isn't going to detract from that line. Especially when players like Greenway and Foligno have been tried and failed there.

Donato-Staal-Fiala
Kaprizov-x-Zuccarello
Parise/Foligno-Ek-Kunin

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio/Addison
Hunt/Pateryn

Jettison Greenway into the sun, trade Dumba for a 2C, move Parise to the bottom 6, and you have room for Donato to prove himself in the top 6
But then the line can't play much defense, and can't really forecheck either lol

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But then the line can't play much defense, and can't really forecheck either lol

I don't want either of those top two lines playing defense. I understand they need to be capable on occasion, but the idea that we should neuter our offense by putting a scorer and a guy who can play defense on every line is what killed our team in the Vancouver series. You can get a lot more out of Donato if you're playing him with other offensive players in a scoring role, and you can get a lot more from a defensive line by not having Donato on it. It's just lazy coaching. Do you really think Foligno being on the left wing of line 1 can help all that much if Staal and Fiala get hemmed in?

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I don't want either of those top two lines playing defense. I understand they need to be capable on occasion, but the idea that we should neuter our offense by putting a scorer and a guy who can play defense on every line is what killed our team in the Vancouver series. You can get a lot more out of Donato if you're playing him with other offensive players in a scoring role, and you can get a lot more from a defensive line by not having Donato on it. It's just lazy coaching. Do you really think Foligno being on the left wing of line 1 can help all that much if Staal and Fiala get hemmed in?
I mean ideally you'd want them to be in the offensive zone most of the time to avoid having to defend their own zone, which starts with the forecheck and winning faceoffs (yikes). That's tough to do with Staal being slow and Donato coasting and not being able to win a board battle. I didn't say anything about neutering lines or having Foligno on the top line with Staal and Fiala. I don't think there's an ideal situation with the makeup of our team, which is why I said hopefully they can find something that works with all the hopeful player movement this offseason.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Donato-Staal-Fiala
Kaprizov-x-Zuccarello
Parise/Foligno-Ek-Kunin

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Menell
Soucy-Belpedio/Addison
Hunt/Pateryn

as long as parise is in a wild sweater we wont get to see him demoted to bottom 6

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Zucker was still here, our top line would probably be him, Staal and Fiala and it's not like Zucker is some defensive whiz.

The ideal situation would be if Greenway was a markedly better player than he is, or if Boldy was 2 years older.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I mean ideally you'd want them to be in the offensive zone most of the time to avoid having to defend their own zone, which starts with the forecheck and winning faceoffs (yikes). That's tough to do with Staal being slow and Donato coasting and not being able to win a board battle. I didn't say anything about neutering lines or having Foligno on the top line with Staal and Fiala. I don't think there's an ideal situation with the makeup of our team, which is why I said hopefully they can find something that works with all the hopeful player movement this offseason.
staal can win faceoffs to help hold the offensive zone and as weak as donato looks a lot of the time he still wins board battles. having an offensive line would help us greatly rather than trying to role 4 equal lines with mediocre offense and mediocre defense. that's why we get called the mild. that mindset needs to change we don't need to go full Colorado and be fully top heavy but it wouldn't hurt to be top 6 heavy.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
staal can win faceoffs to help hold the offensive zone and as weak as donato looks a lot of the time he still wins board battles. having an offensive line would help us greatly rather than trying to role 4 equal lines with mediocre offense and mediocre defense. that's why we get called the mild. that mindset needs to change we don't need to go full Colorado and be fully top heavy but it wouldn't hurt to be top 6 heavy.
Let’s hope Staal can win more FOs next year.

Attachments

• F3B856EA-B69D-4D26-BED3-EB235C9C2807.jpeg
    F3B856EA-B69D-4D26-BED3-EB235C9C2807.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 3

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I'd rather conform the lines to make them effective rather than just throw all the one dimensional players on lines together. Putting all your best shooting players together doesn't mean it'll be the best offensive line a team can muster. You need some sort of balance and complimentary play for a line to work. What good is an offensive line if they give up more goals than they score? The Wild are called the Mild because they play good defense and don't have high end forwards.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'd rather conform the lines to make them effective rather than just throw all the one dimensional players on lines together. Putting all your best shooting players together doesn't mean it'll be the best offensive line a team can muster. You need some sort of balance and complimentary play for a line to work. What good is an offensive line if they give up more goals than they score? The Wild are called the Mild because they play good defense and don't have high end forwards.

we currently have plenty of defensive forwards and few offensive forwards. we could only make one line of solid offense at the moment. why is that such a shame to go for? conforming the lines to all be good in all 3 zones is not good enough. bottom 6 thats fine, your top 6 should have more offensive output. just because Donato - Staal - Fiala are not well known for the defense does in no way mean they will be outscored when on the ice. could go with the old saying the best defense is a good offense. if they can keep the pressure in the offensive zone is that not better than just saying ok lets hope the dump and chase works and when it doesnt we know our forwards can defend pretty well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->