Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What do you think he gets? Something like 5x5? Seems way too high but it wouldn't surprise me if someone gave him that.

It might not be outrageous with the cap going up. It's not like we have any other Cs of that quality to pull up from Iowa in the next few years.
I think he gets even more than that. $6M wouldn't shock me. Having $10M or close to it, tied up between Rask and Nelson, would scare the hell out of me.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Well, what's the point of freeing cap space if you don't make a splash?

He's at $4.25 mil now - so yeah, 6 seems the going rate.

But the Isles can afford to keep him and the captain, Lee.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
$6M for a guy that has averaged 40 points a season before this one, isn't a splash IMO.

+1 to that. Just because we have the space doesn't mean we should overpay Brock Nelson with it.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
$6M for a guy that has averaged 40 points a season before this one, isn't a splash IMO.
Not saying I'd pay that much - if he tests the waters, somebody will likely come close to it.

I do think he would be a nice add to the team though.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I didn’t quite realize how fast Donato is; when he got on his edge and went wide with speed in the 3rd last night he blew by the defender and got a great scoring chance.

His first step isn’t quite Zucker, but he can get going pretty good.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Did anyone else find it odd that after the second goal, Donato didn't join the celebration? Looked like he was going to join but was like "I'm at the bench, screw it"

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Did anyone else find it odd that after the second goal, Donato didn't join the celebration? Looked like he was going to join but was like "I'm at the bench, screw it"

Didn’t want to risk too many men.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
To be the pessimist, I could see his game totally disappearing in the playoffs with the increased physical play. He already gets bounced around like a pinball in the regular season. Hopefully he has a good trainer this summer

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
To be the pessimist, I could see his game totally disappearing in the playoffs with the increased physical play. He already gets bounced around like a pinball in the regular season. Hopefully he has a good trainer this summer
I actually agree. I'd like to be optimistic, but he does get bounced around a lot. He's fast, shoots well and seems to have a great offensive IQ. Now he needs to work on his strength on his skates and the defensive side of the game. If he improves those, he'll be a keeper.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I dont think Donato is a core piece. He reminds me of Zucker. A nice depth forward who fill in an any of the the Top 3 lines. Id like to be proven wrong, but I dont see a ton of upside here. Guy shoota everything, is smart and works hard. A perfectly solid 2nd liner.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I dont think Donato is a core piece. He reminds me of Zucker. A nice depth forward who fill in an any of the the Top 3 lines. Id like to be proven wrong, but I dont see a ton of upside here. Guy shoota everything, is smart and works hard. A perfectly solid 2nd liner.
Agreed, looks like another middle 6, forty point player. I think people are going to be disappointed next season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, strength is one thing that can be added, and it can do wonders adding just a little bit of speed and balance to his game. Sure won't hurt his shot, either. With two way players like Ek, Greenway, and Kunin we can afford balls out offensive players like he and Fiala.

It's easy to like Donato when he is scoring the way he is.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
As good as he appears to be at scoring, he's still below the 20g/year mark for the Wild (4 goals in 17 games). His shooting percentage is only at 8% though, so it certainly can improve. I just don't see him as a "dynamic player".

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
As good as he appears to be at scoring, he's still below the 20g/year mark for the Wild (4 goals in 17 games). His shooting percentage is only at 8% though, so it certainly can improve. I just don't see him as a "dynamic player".

3 or 4 posts, 1 goal called off.

I am normally hesitant, but he definitely has some degree of "it". I'm not sure he's a 90-100 point player, but I definitely see him as a tier below that. 25-35g and 40-45 ast type guy. If he played with a legit #1 C type, that number could go higher.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Donato has better overall puck skills than Zucker, which IMO gives him a better shot at a consistent level of success than Zucker, whom I think has already had his best season and will never be able to repeat it.

Zucker has speed and virtually nothing else in the tool box. Donato has decent passing, puck handling skills and a very good and accurate shot. If Donato can get stronger on his skates, I think he could be a pretty dangerous player going forward.

Reactions: 63firebird

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Donnie has a certain 'it' factor. He seems to be clutch and very smart. He makes the right play at the right time. I think with the right center he can be a 30 goal 40 assist player. God forbid he works on lateral movement and board toughness. His straight line speed is actually great. His puck skills are great. No one told us he would be as good a passer as he is. His shot is deadly. He has an it factor. He loves the game and loves the challenge.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
You still need guys like Donato to win a cup. Secondary scoring is what makes or breaks most teams success in the playoffs with a lot of the top lines cancelling each other out. If he stays a 45-50pt guy I am completely fine with that.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Donnie has a certain 'it' factor. He seems to be clutch and very smart. He makes the right play at the right time. I think with the right center he can be a 30 goal 40 assist player. God forbid he works on lateral movement and board toughness. His straight line speed is actually great. His puck skills are great. No one told us he would be as good a passer as he is. His shot is deadly. He has an it factor. He loves the game and loves the challenge.

With the right center exactly. Who will that be? Koivu? Yes he could be like Arvidsson and Forsberg but without a line mate to pass him open he’ll be on his behind in playoffs. Needs to get stronger on his skates in the off season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->