Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Coyle was victim of Fletcher hype train. If he was billed as a solid middle-6 RHS, people would think he was decent for what he brings. Instead, lots of folks thought he would be some 70 point power forward.

It wasn't just Fletcher, but Coyle's one QMJHL where he absolutely dominated. I could have seen him as a Dustin Brown type if he was developed correctly, but it didn't look like he was. Oh well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It wasn't just Fletcher, but Coyle's one QMJHL where he absolutely dominated. I could have seen him as a Dustin Brown type if he was developed correctly, but it didn't look like he was. Oh well.
When he went to the Q, of course he dominated.

It was a step down in competition. He went from playing against players his size and age down to being a man amongst boys. He was older and much larger than most.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
When he went to the Q, of course he dominated.

It was a step down in competition. He went from playing against players his size and age down to being a man amongst boys. He was older and much larger than most.

He was only 19 (20 in March) when he joined. Size, maybe? But age? Danick Gauthier was older than him, MacAulay was barely younger than him, Charles-Olivier Roussel was older, Stanislav Galiyev was older. He wasn't older than 'most'. He was about average in age. Can't say about size...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was only 19 (20 in March) when he joined. Size, maybe? But age? Danick Gauthier was older than him, MacAulay was barely younger than him, Charles-Olivier Roussel was older, Stanislav Galiyev was older. He wasn't older than 'most'. He was about average in age. Can't say about size...
Majority of the CHL is 18 and under. 19 and over its less than half the league.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
:facepalm:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Avg age in the CHL is under 19yrs

The avg age of college hockey teams range from 20-22yrs.

CLEAR age difference... and clear size difference.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Avg age in the CHL is under 19yrs

18.25. This year there were (14) 19 year olds on Halifax's team. 5 on Halifax's and 5 20 year olds. As well, it doesn't help the average is dragged down by 16 year olds that barely get 10 games in. 13 players are 16-17 year old that played 10 or more games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
18.25. This year there were (14) 19 year olds on Halifax's team. 5 on Halifax's and 5 20 year olds. As well, it doesn't help the average is dragged down by 16 year olds that barely get 10 games in. 13 players are 16-17 year old that played 10 or more games.
18.25 is significantly less than the youngest college hockey teams that have an average age of 20.5yrs.

Fun Facts - Team Average Age

My point is confirmed.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So, he went from a league where he was 2 years younger than the average player to one where he was 2 years older than the average player? And your argument is what exactly?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So, he went from a league where he was 2 years younger than the average player to one where he was 2 years older than the average player? And your argument is what exactly?

He wasn't 2 years older. At the end he was (due to his birthday being in March), but the QMJHL has a lot of players between 18 and 19 years old. 20 year old not so much, because of a ruling.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He wasn't 2 years older. At the end he was (due to his birthday being in March), but the QMJHL has a lot of players between 18 and 19 years old. 20 year old not so much, because of a ruling.
Charlie Coyle was 20 years old when he started the 2011-12 playoffs with Saint John. Math isn't hard.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It was only the second half of the season that he was there.

Anyways, you're points have only confirmed mine.

He went to an interior league than he had just been playing at for a season and a half. Much younger and smaller. He suddenly became a man amongst boys.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Coyle doesn't have a point in his last 13 games. 9 in 8 for Donato. Somehow reverse Niederreider for Rask? Alright, maybe that's a slight exaggeration. Or a big exaggeration.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Considering how SOME of the Bruins fans made Donnie out to be, it's like I have watched a totally different player, and every time someone says this, SOME of their fans say just wait until he stops trying and he'll stop his production...

So far I don't see that happening.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Considering how SOME of the Bruins fans made Donnie out to be, it's like I have watched a totally different player, and every time someone says this, SOME of their fans say just wait until he stops trying and he'll stop his production...

Consistency is always tough for young players and I'm sure he'll go through some cold patches this year and next. I think Donato's a very different player than Ryan Spooner, but Boston fans aren't wrong to point out the surge he saw after getting traded to the Rangers.

It's kind of funny though. Both Donato and Fiala have talked multiple times in post-game interviews about how much it means to feel like the coach has confidence in them, and Boudreau has definitely been feeding them both opportunities. I hope that fact isn't lost on Fenton when he thinks about whether or not to keep Bruce around again next year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Consistency is always tough for young players and I'm sure he'll go through some cold patches this year and next. I think Donato's a very different player than Ryan Spooner, but Boston fans aren't wrong to point out the surge he saw after getting traded to the Rangers.

It's kind of funny though. Both Donato and Fiala have talked multiple times in post-game interviews about how much it means to feel like the coach has confidence in them, and Boudreau has definitely been feeding them both opportunities. I hope that fact isn't lost on Fenton when he thinks about whether or not to keep Bruce around again next year.
Agreed. Young guys need a coach who will ride the rollercoaster a bit of being a young player trying to find consistency.

Reactions: waskaguy

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

As,iI recall he was the best player for USA, in the Olympics so I liked him for little while.

Nino got hot when he came over for Clutterbuck. The next season or two will see if Donato can grow or not...

Reactions: teddygmr

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This is where Yeo fails as a coach and why Bruce excels. He knows how to get the most out of players.
Bruins fan here. Our Bruce didn't show the confidence in him and ride him to achieve his potential. But Boston has a history of losing patience with young talented players.

You are seeing what Ryan's potential is and Boudreau is exploiting it.

He' a good player who can score and take direction. You'll be happy with this trade.

Reactions: teddygmr

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Donato is a clone of a young Jason Pominville.

Hopefully the Wild can surround him with some talent. He seems to be a puck magnet and continually making good plays with the puck on his stick that generate high quality chances.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Some players know what to do with the puck. Donnie generally knows when to shoot, when to pass, where to shoot, where to pass, he can skate in a straight line pretty dang fast, and he has skills.

Now Fiala just needs to quit turning the puck over and I'll be very happy with these two.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Now I just wanna see if this is what fans can expect out of him. Last thing this team needs is another Zucker that goes on extreme hot/cold streaks. Consistently would be nice for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad