Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
His strength is still an obvious issue, but he's got a little of that puck-magnet quality to him. It seems to find him and stick to him.

Totally, and that IS fixable to a large extent. He needs a good strength/conditioning coach with a nutrition coach from June-September. I just put on 8 pounds in the past 3 months of mostly lean tissue, he has no weight issue, I promise you he can put on 8-10 pounds eating 3000-4000 calories a day, weight training 4 days a week, skating with a skating coach, mobility work, etc.

Besides the weight factor, which is a factor as far as guys knocking you down or off the puck, the strength thing is important too. He is a skinny kid by nature, probably a weaker kid by nature. Not his fault. He can change it, but that takes longer. I'm sure he's already a lot stronger than when he was 18. But, he's 22, in total prime of his life. He can get a lot stronger over the next two seasons. One offseason isn't enough. He needs a couple dedicated years to really get man-strong.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He needs to work out with Coyle in the off season. Some guys mature later than others. Some extra training and nutrition can do wonders for your speed, balance, and power. A guy like Parise should be a role model for him.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
His game reminds me of Wild era Jason Pominville. Shoot first player with a decent shot that can also make some smart passes in the offensive zone.

Possession game on the cycle and ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and enter the zone with possession remain a work in progress.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
We need to remember that this time last year Donato was still playing for Harvard. He's on pace for 20 goals and 20 assists over his first 82 NHL games....I think we would all take that, right? He's got time to improve his skating and strength. Although, I do think he is faster and shiftier than he sometimes looks - I can't remember what point of the game it was, but he was carrying the puck into the offensive zone and just blew right by his guy. He certainly doesn't appear to be slow in any case.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Glad he is having some initial success, but I need to see him in the playoffs before I can make any attempt at a long-term projection. Want to see him in an environment that is more physical and faster with tighter checking. His game could veer either direction strongly.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t want to overreact from a small sample size, but from what I’ve seen this guy has elite skill. I’ve been really happy with his play this far and I don’t think it would be unthinkable to get 50 points out of him next year. The biggest thing I’ve seen is his lack of explosiveness. If he can become a little more powerful when exploding leterally, it will give him that extra half second to analyze the play and use his skill. that might be the difference between him being a good player and a great player.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
"elite skill"? Man, I don't see that at all. Agree about lack of explosiveness.

Hey, as long as he is getting on the score sheet...:dunno:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with his skating. He's just extremely weak, to the point where he's really easy to push off of the puck. If he can fix that, he can be a very good player.

Reactions: Bazeek

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Says he's 193 pounds.

I'd say that is him soaked with wet clothes on.

He needs to gain a few pounds, and really add strength because if he can withstand the knocks and hits, he will really be a player.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dude needs to get stronger on his skates. Reminds me of Granlund his first couple seasons... seems to be knocked on his ass every other shift.

Also, Bruins fans were right about his complete lack of effort in the defensive zone. When the Jets were flying down the ice, the puck carrier flew right past him without him even reaching his stick for a poke check. He just watched the guy skate right on by. He was a literal pylon with two jet's players flying by, one on each side, just watching the puck carrier go like he was a spectator on the ice.

Once the Wild have the puck though, he is pretty heady about getting himself open, and he can actually receive a pass pretty well... doesn't have to take extra time trying to gain control of the puck all the time like say, Zucker does. He can receive the pass and immediately wrist it on goal without a wasted motion.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Dude needs to get stronger on his skates. Reminds me of Granlund his first couple seasons... seems to be knocked on his ass every other shift.

Also, Bruins fans were right about his complete lack of effort in the defensive zone. When the Jets were flying down the ice, the puck carrier flew right past him without him even reaching his stick for a poke check. He just watched the guy skate right on by. He was a literal pylon with two jet's players flying by, one on each side, just watching the puck carrier go like he was a spectator on the ice.

Once the Wild have the puck though, he is pretty heady about getting himself open, and he can actually receive a pass pretty well... doesn't have to take extra time trying to gain control of the puck all the time like say, Zucker does. He can receive the pass and immediately wrist it on goal without a wasted motion.

Donato interest is on the offensive end

As long as the team has a strong D core and maybe play with at least one good two way player on the same line

You can mask his deficiency

He is opportunistic and playing well

But is still not ready for the "playoffs"

Like many have stated he needs to 1st get stronger without sacrificing speed. Actually hopefully it adds to his speed/harder to knock off

Donato if he can do this... I see a Jeff Skinner ceiling

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You guys got a guy with good skill. Great shot. Before he was traded, there are honestly not many other guys on the current Bruins roster I’d want taking that point blank, unobstructed shot. Accurate and hard.

As many here have pointed out, the big concern with his game is “strength”. He gets bounced off the puck extremely easily. In a tight checking game, Ryan Donato thus far in his career has been a nightmare. He goes from effective NHL player to “useless” quite quickly.

He got a little bit more willing, I think, to engage in a physical game as the year went on. However, he is still terrible at taking hits and keeping puck possession along the boards when challenged.

Really difficult to predict which way his career is going to end up going, because it really could be either way depending on how he adjusts and what is expected of him going forward. Best of luck to him and to your team with him as a player.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not yet concerned about his lack of strength. He's not yet a full year removed from college hockey and is in his first full NHL season on pace for 20 goals and 40 points. Get him some proper off-season strength straining and a good power skating coach and he could be a 25-30 goal 55-60 points a season player in the next couple of years.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm concerned because he's not a 20 yo(23 in a month), but a summer of intense gym work might make him at least decently strong. Kunin was noticably stronger when he came back after the knee injury. A credit to his work ethic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm concerned because he's not a 20 yo(23 in a month), but a summer of intense gym work might make him at least decently strong. Kunin was noticably stronger when he came back after the knee injury. A credit to his work ethic.

I know Donato is older, but remember how scrawny JEE when MN drafted him? He added 10-15 lbs of muscle mass each off-season. I don't think Donato needs to add 30 lbs, but 10 lbs and cleaning up his skating (balance mostly) would do a lot for the guy.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know Donato is older, but remember how scrawny JEE when MN drafted him? He added 10-15 lbs of muscle mass each off-season. I don't think Donato needs to add 30 lbs, but 10 lbs and cleaning up his skating (balance mostly) would do a lot for the guy.
Yeah, but Ek was 17-18. Donato is 5 years older. Pretty late start. Seems odd, because his Dad is a hockey coach. You would think that he would be in tip top shape already.

No doubt that it's a huge step to jump into the NHL. Everyone is stronger, faster, smarter, and more skilled.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Yeah, but Ek was 17-18. Donato is 5 years older. Pretty late start. Seems odd, because his Dad is a hockey coach. You would think that he would be in tip top shape already.

No doubt that it's a huge step to jump into the NHL. Everyone is stronger, faster, smarter, and more skilled.

There is also a big difference between EK playing in a pro league in Sweden, and Donato going to Harvard. I think he can easily put on some strength, and I don't think he is that far off. Not all guys come into the league at 18 and are prodigies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

This is also his first full season playing pro hockey. Regardless of how old he is, this is when most guys really start to have an actual gym regimen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is also his first full season playing pro hockey. Regardless of how old he is, this is when most guys really start to have an actual gym regimen.
Nonsense. They are working out before HS, and certainly are during HS. Absolutely at college.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
You are both correct.

You do start working out, if serious, around 8-9th grade. I remember, what was it called, Acceleration Minnesota. Young ages. In high school, even with hard training, you don't understand the level of perfection and intention and know how that a professional knows.

A professional athlete will always have someone helping them, but a guy who is 28-30 pretty much knows what they need to do because of the experience they have had over the past 15 years, and could probably design his own workouts. 22 year olds who just finished college have a good idea, but they have still been guided by their programs.

NHL players work with private and team coaches. But it's the private summer sessions that the players are really learning. It's their guy, more interest, more intention.

Donnie is probably confused as most other 22 year old guys regarding programming and the specificity of training in regards to his specific needs and holes.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I like the way he passes the puck. Head up. Deliberate. Very crisp.
Fiala, Donato, and Aberg all pass the puck at a much faster pace than anyone else on the roster. Even on the PP they snap it around a lot faster than I'm used to seeing from this team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You are both correct.

You do start working out, if serious, around 8-9th grade. I remember, what was it called, Acceleration Minnesota. Young ages. In high school, even with hard training, you don't understand the level of perfection and intention and know how that a professional knows.

A professional athlete will always have someone helping them, but a guy who is 28-30 pretty much knows what they need to do because of the experience they have had over the past 15 years, and could probably design his own workouts. 22 year olds who just finished college have a good idea, but they have still been guided by their programs.

NHL players work with private and team coaches. But it's the private summer sessions that the players are really learning. It's their guy, more interest, more intention.

Donnie is probably confused as most other 22 year old guys regarding programming and the specificity of training in regards to his specific needs and holes.
Serious hockey players are working out at 12 , sometimes earlier. HS definitely has weight training programs, but most players are training during really hard during the summer, then maintaining during the season. College allows you the most time to train because they travel way less, and play less games. Pros(minor leagues) and Junior leagues travel so much that it's hard to fit in the workouts.

Not all players have the same commitment to weight training, however. I would think that Donato would've been exposed to it earlier than most, but who knows?

If you aren't doing serious weight training by the time you are 18 then I'd have to question your approach. You simply lose too much of an edge when competing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad