Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Just reading and listening to some radio shows, some of these folks think one of Debrusk , Donato, Heinen will be the odd man out if everyone is healthy.

Just bc you can't mess up the lines drastically (the combinations that got you this far). There is some merit to this

So for example the 4th line has been pure energy, shadow line that has performed exceptionally. So will taking out Schaller , make it function different?

Same can be said about Heinen Riley Nash Backes line

IMO if somehow Cassidy can figure out that new configured lines makes the team even better (and little uncertainty it will hit a wall) then you make/keep the changes. If not, its like having one screw loose somewhere , which could cause a breakdown.

Last night even though the team played decent ( dealing with all the injuries), I believe "one or two" screws were loose that caused breakdowns we normally don't see

I'm excited and also a little antsy at the same time. Hopefully the lines can solidify sooner than later

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just reading and listening to some radio shows, some of these folks think one of Debrusk , Donato, Heinen will be the odd man out if everyone is healthy.

Just bc you can't mess up the lines drastically (the combinations that got you this far). There is some merit to this

So for example the 4th line has been pure energy, shadow line that has performed exceptionally. So will taking out Schaller , make it function different?

IMO if somehow Cassidy can figure out that new configured lines makes the team even better (and little uncertainty it will hit a wall) then you make/keep the changes. If not, its like having one screw loose somewhere , which could cause a breakdown.

Last night even though the team played decent ( dealing with all the injuries), I believe "one or two" screws were loose that caused breakdowns we normally don't see

I'm excited and also a little antsy at the same time. Hopefully the lines can solidify sooner than later

I see no reason why Heinen can't function on the 4th line with his skill-set. He played on the 4th line early in the year and looked just fine.

The Heinen-Nash-Backes line wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire the last little while it was together before the trades and injuries.

If they won't put Backes in the middle, and don't want to demote Riley to the 4th line (and they probably shouldn't the way he has played) the obvious solution to me is to put Heinen with Schaller and Kuraly, leave the Krejci line alone with Rick and Debrusk, and Donato with the two vets in Riley and Backes.

If the 2nd line flutters early, swap Donato for Debrusk and try that.

I still don't see what Noel Acciari brings to the table to be gifted a permanent line-up spot over better players.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I see no reason why Heinen can't function on the 4th line with his skill-set. He played on the 4th line early in the year and looked just fine.

The Heinen-Nash-Backes line wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire the last little while it was together before the trades and injuries.

If they won't put Backes in the middle, and don't want to demote Riley to the 4th line (and they probably shouldn't the way he has played) the obvious solution to me is to put Heinen with Schaller and Kuraly, leave the Krejci line alone with Rick and Debrusk, and Donato with the two vets in Riley and Backes.

If the 2nd line flutters early, swap Donato for Debrusk and try that.

I still don't see what Noel Acciari brings to the table to be gifted a permanent line-up spot over better players.

I think you are underselling what Acciari brings to the lineup. He is also good on the PK

Will dropping down Heinen to the 4th line increase his point production? (likely marginal if best). His time on the PP is a plus but at the end of the day, is a combination of Schaller Kuraly Heinen as optimal as Schaller Kuraly Acciari for the task they are required to perform?

This is why I have no issue dropping Backes down to the 4th line . Who is a physical big glorified 4th liner with soft hands. We have seen Kuraly Backes Acciari excel in the past

At the end of the day we will see how Cassidy plays it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DYtHgpOX4AECUnk.jpg

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I am still confused, why is he wearing #17 and not #16? Which was available? The only number he has ever worn other than #16 is #19 (and Senyshyn has that).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I am still confused, why is he wearing #17 and not #16? Which was available? The only number he has ever worn other than #16 is #19 (and Senyshyn has that).

don't fight it, embrace it

16 was yesterday, 17 is the future for him

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I Think for sure one of them 3 sit.They are not 4th line banger type players and all young and arguably still learning .

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Definitely impressed last night but he surely has not done enough to displace Heinen or Debrusk. I think he is the odd man out unless injury in the playoffs a la Seguin in 2011. Then has a big role next season.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think you are underselling what Acciari brings to the lineup. He is also good on the PK

Will dropping down Heinen to the 4th line increase his point production? (likely marginal if best). His time on the PP is a plus but at the end of the day, is a combination of Schaller Kuraly Heinen as optimal as Schaller Kuraly Acciari for the task they are required to perform?

This is why I have no issue dropping Backes down to the 4th line . Who is a physical big glorified 4th liner with soft hands. We have seen Kuraly Backes Acciari excel in the past

At the end of the day we will see how Cassidy plays it.

Acciari isn't needed for the PK with the current group now that Rick Nash has been added. And if they need a 7th PK forward, there is always Backes.

That 4th line RW spot will essentially have no special team responsibility, 5 on 5 Heinen brings more to the table than puck-allergic Acciari.

I know you've promoted Acciari/Kuraly/Backes as a line based on a very, very small sample size last year in the playoffs. There is a reason why Cassidy I don't believe has used it even once this season.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
don't fight it, embrace it

16 was yesterday, 17 is the future for him
I... just.... can't... do... it.

Seriously, when I was a kid, NHL '96 used to bump a player's number up by one when he was traded to a team that had someone else in the same number. So I would make paper trades, and then figure out how I could get them to either retain their number with the new team, or make an "appropriate" altered number. Most it took just a couple of trades to get it right. Once, I got Brandan Shanahan from St. Louis at #19 to #94 with the Whalers!

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Donato was a late 2nd round pick but his stock right now makes him feel like a first round talent. Back when he was drafted, what was holding him back from being drafted higher? Anything in particular about his game that has gotten better?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Acciari isn't needed for the PK with the current group now that Rick Nash has been added. And if they need a 7th PK forward, there is always Backes.

That 4th line RW spot will essentially have no special team responsibility, 5 on 5 Heinen brings more to the table than puck-allergic Acciari.

I know you've promoted Acciari/Kuraly/Backes as a line based on a very, very small sample size last year in the playoffs. There is a reason why Cassidy I don't believe has used it even once this season.

I am a pretty big acciari guy and when he is at the top of his game I can see him finding a spot but right now him and Gionta are the easiest scratches if everyone is healthy .

I can't see Backes or Riley on line 4 . I am guessing one of heinen , debrusk or Donato end up being scratched . Quite obviously it won't be Debrusk if he returns to the level he went out at . Donato looked so good but it was just one game . I believe you will see Wingels on line 4 for most games .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am a pretty big acciari guy and when he is at the top of his game I can see him finding a spot but right now him and Gionta are the easiest scratches if everyone is healthy .

I can't see Backes or Riley on line 4 . I am guessing one of heinen , debrusk or Donato end up being scratched . Quite obviously it won't be Debrusk if he returns to the level he went out at . Donato looked so good but it was just one game . I believe you will see Wingels on line 4 for most games .

It's not what I would do, but as far as Cassidy goes, you are probably right. I think Debrusk is relatively secure. Donato and Heinen we'll see, all comes down to their individual performance.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
It's not what I would do, but as far as Cassidy goes, you are probably right. I think Debrusk is relatively secure. Donato and Heinen we'll see, all comes down to their individual performance.

Yes it does depend on their play. I am kind of guessing one might not be at the top of their game . If all three are at the high end of their game I can't really imagine scratching one . I would find room for Heinen on line 4 if all three were playing great as you suggested but only under those
circumstances. The reality is we will probably have an injury anyways.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I doubt Seny kees it if/when he gets to Boston. Nobody will touch that number for a loooong while IMHO.

Reactions: Spooner st

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Have we reset our nepotism meter after the failed Chris Bourque 2013 experiment? Even Benning counts as a great pick. To be fair to him the guy whos currently an assistant coach was actually worse as was dogavins. How did our best team of recent times (last motivated Bruins team too lets just say our players enjoy golf a little too much and might not want to work into June) ice those 3?

Very good player and being a little older I think its safe to assume he isn't a fluke and can be relied on for Spooner like production just a lot tougher of a kid.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Donato was a late 2nd round pick but his stock right now makes him feel like a first round talent. Back when he was drafted, what was holding him back from being drafted higher? Anything in particular about his game that has gotten better?

Level of competition? He still had a year to go at Dexter AFTER being drafted. We clearly saw something we liked but who knows if another team even takes him in the 3rd we might have got him a round later.

How many MA kids play HS hockey after they get drafted? Probably only happened because his dad was the coach at the college he was always going to attend he didn't really 'need' to play USJHL or anything if his dad wasn't making him (like most NCAA coaches do when they don't think a kid is ready to be an 18 year old freshman.)

Teddy did a good job having him get stronger for a year prior to playing NCAA hockey hes not a huge kid and he wasn't a star as an (older) freshman.

Reactions: Rumpy

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Definitely impressed last night but he surely has not done enough to displace Heinen or Debrusk. I think he is the odd man out unless injury in the playoffs a la Seguin in 2011. Then has a big role next season.
It’s one game..... agreed.

However, he was an offensive force on the Krejci line. Could have had several goals.

As we work through this injury bug, if he shows anything close to that kind of offensive potential on a regular basis I’d be surprised if he sat.

Heinen has been great, but he’s been pretty cold for some time. Cassidy will go with hot hand for playoffs I suspect. At least to start.

It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks to see how it plays out.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
The guy created a scoring chance virtually every time he was on the ice last night. If that continues, there is NO chance he sits.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It's nice to see Donato filling in for the injured Nash. Once Nash comes back, Boston will have tremendous forward depth.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
ummm, not hard to understand, B`s management wanted nothing to do with the kid getting the bad vibes left by Daugavins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad