Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I think people need to remember these young guys need time to figure it out. Look at Pasta, the points have been there the last few years, but his 3-zone game was/is still a work in progress. This year I'll say Pasta looks like a completely different player and if manages to be like Marchy defensively, it might be the greatest gift (outside of a cup) that Bergy has given this team.

With that, this is Pasta 5th year in the NHL. Think about that, as insanely talented and elite as Pasta is, it took him 4 years to really figure it out.

You either be open and ready or get the puck loose on D, right now Donato is in a murky tween of wanting to help get the puck while not getting open.

Three Bruins on one Flame south of our goal line and here comes Donato sheepishly poking at it.

It's the worst of both worlds and he's not Pastrnak enough to work it out on the ice in Boston.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You either be open and ready or get the puck loose on D, right now Donato is in a murky tween of wanting to help get the puck while not getting open.

Three Bruins on one Flame south of our goal line and here comes Donato sheepishly poking at it.

It's the worst of both worlds and he's not Pastrnak enough to work it out on the ice in Boston.

I remember Pasta being the same way as a rookie. He was timid and made a lot of questionable plays. His first two years in the league he was getting around 13 minutes a night because he was so hit or miss.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think people need to remember these young guys need time to figure it out. Look at Pasta, the points have been there the last few years, but his 3-zone game was/is still a work in progress. This year I'll say Pasta looks like a completely different player and if manages to be like Marchy defensively, it might be the greatest gift (outside of a cup) that Bergy has given this team.

With that, this is Pasta 5th year in the NHL. Think about that, as insanely talented and elite as Pasta is, it took him 4 years to really figure it out.

David Pastrnak was making progress almost by the game early in his career. This included being sent down to Providence and working on the exact things the coaches asked.

Ryan Donato doesn’t seem to have gone anywhere since we first saw him on the ice. If anything, his confidence is far lower now and he has the look of someone who has regressed.

I don’t think anyone’s giving up on the guy. But I am worried at the moment, because neither he or the team are going to get far at all with how he is currently playing the game.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I remember Pasta being the same way as a rookie. He was timid and made a lot of questionable plays. His first two years in the league he was getting around 13 minutes a night because he was so hit or miss.

I remember a very nervous Pasta at or above the circles moving to be open ... not drifting into the play making it worse.

I don't usually get on any player in particular I honestly don't think I have the hockey sense to critique at this level.

Last night outside of his first few touches however to me Donato just looked bad.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
David Pastrnak was making progress almost by the game early in his career. This included being sent down to Providence and working on the exact things the coaches asked.

Ryan Donato doesn’t seem to have gone anywhere since we first saw him on the ice. If anything, his confidence is far lower now and he has the look of someone who has regressed.

I don’t think anyone’s giving up on the guy. But I am worried at the moment, because neither he or the team are going to get far at all with how he is currently playing the game.

If our season hinges on Donato, we have a much bigger problem lol.

The kid has played all of 17 games.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I remember a very nervous Pasta at or above the circles moving to be open ... not drifting into the play making it worse.

I don't usually get on any player in particular I honestly don't think I have the hockey sense to critique at this level.

Last night outside of his first few touches however to me Donato just looked bad.

Oh I'm not saying he looked great, but people seem to be down on this kid when he's played a total of 17 games.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Oh I'm not saying he looked great, but people seem to be down on this kid when he's played a total of 17 games.

I think he will be a good player some day- but that day is not today. He should be in Providence right now learning to play a 200 foot game. Unlike Pasta, he isn't showing enough offensive magic to justify giving him ice time over Heinen, Cehlarik, or Senyshyn or whomever. For me it isn't getting down on Donato so much as it is recognizing that he doesn't seem to be NHL ready at this point. Let's get him there and THEN enjoy what he brings.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If our season hinges on Donato, we have a much bigger problem lol.

The kid has played all of 17 games.

Well, we don’t hinge on Donato but we hinge on a decent amount of young talent.

To phrase it another way, his current contributions are little to none and there are most likely better options at least presently.

I’m not looking to say the team is “relying” on any one player, despite this being a common rebuttal for negative feelings toward a player, but I really think the kid could learn a lot down in the A. At a minimum, he can get some confidence back. 95% of the time he’s on the ice now, it doesn’t look like he has a clue to what he should be doing.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think he will be a good player some day- but that day is not today. He should be in Providence right now learning to play a 200 foot game. Unlike Pasta, he isn't showing enough offensive magic to justify giving him ice time over Heinen, Cehlarik, or Senyshyn or whomever. For me it isn't getting down on Donato so much as it is recognizing that he doesn't seem to be NHL ready at this point. Let's get him there and THEN enjoy what he brings.
Exactly. The kid simply isn't ready for the NHL yet.

That doesn't mean he's a bust, but he's playing for the wrong Bruins team right now.

I think the fact that he's still getting ice time, highlights how desperate we are right now to find some secondary scoring.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Exactly. The kid simply isn't ready for the NHL yet.

That doesn't mean he's a bust, but he's playing for the wrong Bruins team right now.

I think the fact that he's still getting ice time, highlights how desperate we are right now to find some secondary scoring.

Cue @Blowfish 's Cehlarik love . . . :laugh:

(I won't argue that either, would like to see PC get a shot)

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

What if I told you through their first 17 games of their careers that Donato has produced more points?

Donato - 6G / 4A
Pasta - 5G / 2A

Now I'm not saying Donato is going to be Pastrnak, but I think peoples idea of what Pasta was when he was a rookie is clouded because of the player he is now.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well, we don’t hinge on Donato but we hinge on a decent amount of young talent.

To phrase it another way, his current contributions are little to none and there are most likely better options at least presently.

I’m not looking to say the team is “relying” on any one player, despite this being a common rebuttal for negative feelings toward a player, but I really think the kid could learn a lot down in the A. At a minimum, he can get some confidence back. 95% of the time he’s on the ice now, it doesn’t look like he has a clue to what he should be doing.

This is where I think his struggle is. He came in last season riding the high of being the man at Havard and then playing for team USA. His confidence was sky high and you could see it in his game. I think benching him during the playoffs (while the right move), shook his confidence and now coming into this season he hasn't produced like he'd hoped and it's not helping.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What if I told you through their first 17 games of their careers that Donato has produced more points?

Donato - 6G / 4A
Pasta - 5G / 2A

Now I'm not saying Donato is going to be Pastrnak, but I think peoples idea of what Pasta was when he was a rookie is clouded because of the player he is now.

You could be right- I don't remember clearly enough looking back. I seem to recall, though, that when Pasta was getting his time as a rookie and having ups and down the Bruins didn't have a lot of options offensively to use in place of him. Again, it was a few years back, but now we have some players that can play as well or better than Donato right now that are also young and upcoming. I don't believe the team had those sorts of options then. I believe Donato will be a good NHL player for us, but I don't think we are in the position of needing to play him because we have no one else.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Donato - 6G / 4A
Pasta - 5G / 2A

I would say that you are forgetting the fact that Pasta also had 25-30 games with Providence his first year.....

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I would say that you are forgetting the fact that Pasta also had 25-30 games with Providence his first year.....

No, not forgetting. IIRC though he missed a good chunk of the pre-season due to a shoulder injury and that was part of the reason he was sent down. I believe he also spent some time down there after the WJC as he was working through a hand injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad