Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
he will easily get a 3/10 mil deal somewhere. He will cash in. Love his season, and I was dead wrong on him, but he's a luxury that we cannot afford. I think they will sign a veteran center in the summer but one of those 900k Dominic Moore types.

Just like Nash was 2y ago.

They have many great option at less than 1M for that 3C spot. You don’t need to pay 3M+ to fill it.

Thanks for everything Nash and hope you sign the highest contract you can just not in Boston.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Another thing a noticed last night was Donato attacking from his off wing. He made some great plays from that side of the ice and of course his rocket one timer. Give me a Debrusk-Krejci-Donato line.
The power plays are set up on the right side and Donato a left shot with super hands and hockey sense screams he be used as the right side/elbow player

If there was a position created for Donato it's just off the net on the attacking right side on the power play where his skills mentioned above can be used over multiple options

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Another thing a noticed last night was Donato attacking from his off wing. He made some great plays from that side of the ice and of course his rocket one timer. Give me a Debrusk-Krejci-Donato line.

They put him there because of the Nash injury. He did very well on the PP from the right side as well.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Personally, I'd still say #2 behind JFK but that's just my list.

Bruins Stats (on twitter) posted an early morning tweet the other day about a conversation with a Bruins insider who said they view Vaakanainen as their best prospect--a tier below McAvoy/Pasta and a tier above the rest. I've never seen him play a game so I don't know.

If Donato somehow pots a dozen goals by the end of the year, sure, he's the #1 prospect of any team heading into next year.

I think that Vaak-McAvoy is the future top pairing in Boston (followed by Zboril-Carlo).

Reactions: DKH and 00BW

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Something I'm excited to see is how DeBrusk will respond to Donato's play. He's such a competitor and gamer, I feel like Donato is going to have a positive effect on DeBrusk's already high motor. I don't think DeBrusk wants to lose that spot next to Krejci and will do whatever it takes to stay there.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
They put him there because of the Nash injury. He did very well on the PP from the right side as well.

The thing I liked about Donato on the PP (and with his skill set) is he can setup in multiple place on the PP and be a threat from each spot. I liked his play in front of the net, battling for loose pucks. I think his bread and butter though is going to be that spot near the dot where he can rifle one-timers.

I know we keep talking about a healthy line-up, but imagine what both PP's would look like with 100% health on this team.

Reactions: Strafer

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Something I'm excited to see is how DeBrusk will respond to Donato's play. He's such a competitor and gamer, I feel like Donato is going to have a positive effect on DeBrusk's already high motor. I don't think DeBrusk wants to lose that spot next to Krejci and will do whatever it takes to stay there.

Debrusk is going to be fine. Its Bjork that I wonder about more

Bruins LW depth is ridiculous right now. that moving Heinen and Cehlarik (next season) to RW will need to happen

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The chemistry I saw yesterday between Donato Krejci Heinen was the best I have seen from that 2nd line all season long

Debrusk and Krejci just have OK chemistry.

I think I already posted this yesterday, but I would like to see

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Heinen
Debrusk Nash Nash (or Debrusk Backes Nash)

potential

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Debrusk/Krejci/Donato seems like a lock for game 1 in October IMO.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The chemistry I saw yesterday between Donato Krejci Heinen was the best I have seen from that 2nd line all season long

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Heinen

potential
I think Krejci & Rick Nash are made for each other & I want to get milk that combo for all it's worth because we probably only have both of them thru June

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Krejci & Rick Nash are made for each other & I want to get milk that combo for all it's worth because we probably only have both of them thru June

They had 10 games to iron things out and get going....but it never did (consistently). Just saw too many little tap passes missed by either players or along the boards one was not sure what the other was doing

This said, 10 games maybe a bit short to put it together, yet when you see the chemistry from temporary 2nd line last night, you don't want to mess up a potentially great thing. That 4th game tying goal (tic tac toe between all the forwards) is what most lines in league are trying to strive for.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Shut out for I believe the 12th time this season. Essentially they get shut out at least once every six games.

Some of that is personnel. But some of that is also coaching.

Why is it about ten of you guys just can't be happy with the great new team and great new coach we have . Why do we have to keep knocking the guy who really helped take us from the bottom to the top . A constant contender after sitting at the bottom for years . A coach so lousy and easy to coach against he won more playoff series as an underdog than he lost as a favorite . A guy who never lost a playoff series in less than 7 games except the great final with the hawks that was a 6th game late collapse . For the guys on here they say they loved him but constantly knock him please please stop pretending .

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They had 10 games to iron things out and get going....but it never did (consistently). Just saw too many little tap passes missed by either players or along the boards one was not sure what the other was doing

This said, 10 games maybe a bit short to put it together, yet when you see the chemistry from temporary 2nd line last night, you don't want to mess up a potentially great thing. That 4th game tying goal (tic tac toe between all the forwards) is what most lines in league are trying to strive for.
uh, Krejci & Debrusk were both at a point per game or better from when Nash was acquired until the injuries broke it up. sometimes a guy not getting points for himself is just a matter of bad luck. The eye test told me that line fit together perfectly & Rick was creating tons of space for the other two.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I think we saw two different stretches of those 10 games. Krejci & DeBrusk had been producing at nearly a PPG pace since Nash joined that line. The 2nd line looked good last night, but I don't see why you could put Backes between Heinen and Donato. You probably get a similar result, not to mention Henien and Backes have played well together.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Why is it about ten of you guys just can't be happy with the great new team and great new coach we have . Why do we have to keep knocking the guy who really helped take us from the bottom to the top . A constant contender after sitting at the bottom for years . A coach so lousy and easy to coach against he won more playoff series as an underdog than he lost as a favorite . A guy who never lost a playoff series in less than 7 games except the great final with the hawks that was a 6th game late collapse . For the guys on here they say they loved him but constantly knock him please please stop pretending .
I have a real fondness and respect for Claude. as a fan I will be forever grateful to him for what he gave us in 2011 (and 2013 to a lesser extent). But it's ok to talk about his shortcomings which became increasingly frustrating from 2013 on.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I have a real fondness and respect for Claude. as a fan I will be forever grateful to him for what he gave us in 2011 (and 2013 to a lesser extent). But it's ok to talk about his shortcomings which became increasingly frustrating from 2013 on.

No it isn't necessary and most of it what you guys complained about at the time never changed . The biggest personal complaints on these boards never changed and I don't care to list them for the hundredth time . He also never had access to the wealth of young talent Cassidy has now .

Do you think Bergy and Marchy are knocking him like you guys do . They flat out thanked him for the players they became even Seguin praised him . If Spooner gets 50 plus points next yr do we than mock Cassidy for holding him back.

You guys like to pick at little things that even Cassidy does but because we are winning they go by the waste side and you never hear about them.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Am i posting in a ryan donato thread? I’m confused.

Thought he was mostly stellar last night. Certainly has zero fear with the puck on his stick and actually makes moves TOWARD the puck/puck carrier when he doesn’t have it. Too many guys play passive and let the puck come to them, Donato chased it down at times. However...he chased at the wrong times too. I noticed he got a little too aggressive and overplayed a few times, leading directly to easy entries and odd man situations. Julien would’ve benched his ass despite the three points.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Some of us (probably more than 10) are just providing an opinion on Claude Julien and his coaching TODAY. I highly respect him as a coach, and will always appreciate his contributions of bringing to Boston the only Cup win I've witnessed in my lifetime.

Fact is, he hasn't adjusted with the times. That's the opinion of myself and some other posters on this board. What worked for him what is now years ago, doesn't seem to be working today. Getting shut-out once ever 6 games seems to be a pretty good indication his system isn't working all that well.

I don't even see how providing an opinion on Julien and the coaching job he's doing in Montreal, and quite frankly, the coaching job he did in Boston the last 2 and 2/3rd seasons behind the bench, has anything whatsoever to do with my opinion on the current Bruins team or current Bruins coach. I'm more than happy how things are going in Boston right now. I don't see the correlation between the two topics. It's unfortunate that you do.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Some of us (probably more than 10) are just providing an opinion on Claude Julien and his coaching TODAY. I highly respect him as a coach, and will always appreciate his contributions of bringing to Boston the only Cup win I've witnessed in my lifetime.

Fact is, he hasn't adjusted with the times. That's the opinion of myself and some other posters on this board. What worked for him what is now years ago, doesn't seem to be working today. Getting shut-out once ever 6 games seems to be a pretty good indication his system isn't working all that well.

I don't even see how providing an opinion on Julien and the coaching job he's doing in Montreal, and quite frankly, the coaching job he did in Boston the last 2 and 2/3rd seasons behind the bench, has anything whatsoever to do with my opinion on the current Bruins team or current Bruins coach. I'm more than happy how things are going in Boston right now. I don't see the correlation between the two topics. It's unfortunate that you do.
Getting shut out because they have no talent throughout the lineup, not because of how he coaches...

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Heinen

potential

That is insane scoring depth

I'd probably go (healthy)

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Nash (61)
DeBrusk Backes Heinen
Kuraly Nash Wingels

Then you still have schaller and acciari and Gionta waiting. Christ Sweeney built a good team this year

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Nash (61)
DeBrusk Backes Heinen
Kuraly Nash Wingels

Then you still have schaller and acciari and Gionta waiting. Christ Sweeney built a good team this year
Only thing I change is my 4th line is Schaller/Kuraly/Nash. Wingels is the one who sits IMO. Schaller is a key PK guy and critical on the 4th line IMO.

Reactions: maxbme and Strafer

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I seldom try and predict, even if I keep it to myself, who will break through as a major contributor.

I did with McAvoy when he was at BU...that seems to have been a good call. Many would say "easy"...I'd kinda agree.
I was totally off on Heinen, who I really didn't see as becoming an impact player...and he has become one in short order.

While I really like how Donato has developed and how he looked last night, I'm sitting at "cautiously optimistic" about the kid. It's a product, I guess, of (a) being old and conservative, and (b) having seen too many unexpected outcomes in the sporting world.

Psyched to see where his career goes.
More psyched to see where this team goes.

Reactions: Strafer

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Nash (61)
DeBrusk Backes Heinen
Kuraly Nash Wingels

The only small issue I think with Donato Krejci Nash is the "scorers" mentality all 3 have. Who is going to keep the house warm? if you get what I mean

I liked what I saw from Donato last night (defensively) but no way you can depend on him ...not yet

Krejci is OK at the defensive end

Rick Nash is swarming around the offensive end more than anything (and frankly thats what you want). He can play the PK when thats what he focuses on

Heinen as we have seen all season long with the third line, plays a strong defensive game. Has a 2nd wind to try to rush back and backcheck aggressively

Otherwise I don't mind your proposed lineup

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Donato Krejci Nash (61)
DeBrusk Backes Heinen
Kuraly Nash Wingels

I like the idea of Nash(61) on the third line when healthy, all the chances he gets it seems to be with speed down the wing/cutting to the middle, he can do that with whoever he plays with
Give Krejci Donato & DeBrusk.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The only small issue I think with Donato Krejci Nash is the "scorers" mentality all 3 have. Who is going to keep the house warm? if you get what I mean

I liked what I saw from Donato last night (defensively) but no way you can depend on him ...not yet

Krejci is OK at the defensive end

Rick Nash is swarming around the offensive end more than anything (and frankly thats what you want). He can play the PK when thats what he focuses on

Heinen as we have seen all season long with the third line, plays a strong defensive game. Has a 2nd wind to try to rush back and backcheck aggressively

Otherwise I don't mind your proposed lineup

Nash was brought in to be a scorer. So I wouldn't want him taking on the defensive responsibility on that line.

I agree about having Heinen there to be the responsibile one.

Reactions: rocketdan9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad