Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I like donatos hunger for offense. Even though i love me my 2way gritty forwards, i always say a team can carry 1-2 soft guys PROVIDED THEY PRODUCE

When donato struggles... i see his confidence is shot. He gets too busy thinking defense... but his defense is always going to suck anyhow

Let this guy go trackmeet out there... limit his icetime if necessary in close games... but tell him when hes on the ice attempt to score

If it doesnt work in a month... tell him he might need to tighten up more defense but out team needs offense and if we put our kidline up against 4th line on other teams we should be able to score as many as we allow

And give our kids some confidence in process

Defense gets taught and learnt overtime
But offense is born and needs to be encouraged

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Gotcha. I think we’re all pretty much in agreement that Donato needs more AHL time and he may just be the one to sit tonight

You’re kidding right? If you looked just at the score sheet then sure I could see why you think that

But he’s been their best forward besides the big 4 guys since his return from Providence, just been getting robbed

Tonight he finally got what he deserved

Reactions: TCB and Ratty

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
You’re kidding right? If you looked just at the score sheet then sure I could see why you think that

But he’s been their best forward besides the big 4 guys since his return from Providence, just been getting robbed

Tonight he finally got what he deserved

Not really. Many have posted that he’s not quite ready and even after tonight I still haven’t changed my mind on that. I think he’s going to be a very good player but I don’t think he’s ready to handle an 82+ game NHL schedule. Just my opinion

Reactions: Blowfish

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Not really. Many have posted that he’s not quite ready and even after tonight I still haven’t changed my mind on that. I think he’s going to be a very good player but I don’t think he’s ready to handle an 82+ game NHL schedule. Just my opinion
Take what others have posted and accept them for what they're worth. I trust what I have seen of this kid in Prospect Camps, Olympics, Ncaa and draw my own conclusions. He's got talent. And we should be patient, not ship him back to the minors where he has nothing else to gain

Reactions: Five Hole

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Take what others have posted and accept them for what they're worth. I trust what I have seen of this kid in Prospect Camps, Olympics, Ncaa and draw my own conclusions. He's got talent. And we should be patient, not ship him back to the minors where he has nothing else to gain

I’m not opposed to it 100%. See what I said above. Even if they sit him here and there I’m not against that either. I really like him and his shot is world class but I don’t think he’s an NHL top 6 player right now

Reactions: Blowfish

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Why Donato?

He's has NHL caliber skills especially his shot and he's played with a lot more intensity since his recall. I mean it was nice to see him finally score because he's been getting and creating chances. I think he's the type of player who needs to be playing on one of the top two lines, with skilled players and not the third or 4th lines.

Sure maybe at the beginning of the year it would of served him best to start in the minors but since his recall he's been pretty productive and that's without playing with a play-maker ala Krejci/Bergeron/Pasta/Marchand.

The Bruins need scoring and Donato is their best option currently to provide that secondary scoring behind the big 4, so to demote him now would make no sense at all, too me anyways.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
Huge time? That’s a new one for me.

The plus/minus stat needs to be wrapped in all sorts of context to have any real meaning. He was on the ice for the McAvoy and Rask giveaway goals. Those are hardly his fault so I’m willing to give him a break on the +/- yesterday.

He scored 2 goals...and I don’t need to yell it.

Reactions: Pay Carl and Ratty

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I’m not opposed to it 100%. See what I said above. Even if they sit him here and there I’m not against that either. I really like him and his shot is world class but I don’t think he’s an NHL top 6 player right now

I would like to see the bruins give him that chance. Some players just play better with better talent, like you said he has a world class shot. Give him the chance to unleash it more.

For the most part he's been having to create his own chances, it wold be nice to see what he could do with Bergy or krejci centering him and making plays to set him up for that shot.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Huge time? That’s a new one for me.

The plus/minus stat needs to be wrapped in all sorts of context to have any real meaning. He was on the ice for the McAvoy and Rask giveaway goals. Those are hardly his fault so I’m willing to give him a break on the +/- yesterday.

He scored 2 goals...and I don’t need to yell it.

Perfect example:

Marchand recorded an assist on the Kampfer goal but didn't get a plus because he was on the bench when the puck went in the net.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I would like to see the bruins give him that chance. Some players just play better with better talent, like you said he has a world class shot. Give him the chance to unleash it more.

For the most part he's been having to create his own chances, it wold be nice to see what he could do with Bergy or krejci centering him and making plays to set him up for that shot.

Why Donato?

He's has NHL caliber skills especially his shot and he's played with a lot more intensity since his recall. I mean it was nice to see him finally score because he's been getting and creating chances. I think he's the type of player who needs to be playing on one of the top two lines, with skilled players and not the third or 4th lines.

Sure maybe at the beginning of the year it would of served him best to start in the minors but since his recall he's been pretty productive and that's without playing with a play-maker ala Krejci/Bergeron/Pasta/Marchand.

The Bruins need scoring and Donato is their best option currently to provide that secondary scoring behind the big 4, so to demote him now would make no sense at all, too me anyways.

He’s been better and I’m all for giving him a longer look but I still think he needs to grow his game (read 200 foot game) to be a top 6 player.

And you can easily counter my argument with “Well Joakim Nordstrom is on the 2nd line” and you’d be 100% correct.

That says more about the forward depth than Donato. They obviously thought he and Bjork would be in the mix this year but that hasn’t panned out so far.

I believe both Bjork and Donato are both going to be NHLers and I too was hoping that would be this year so we’ll see

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He’s been better and I’m all for giving him a longer look but I still think he needs to grow his game (read 200 foot game) to be a top 6 player.

And you can easily counter my argument with “Well Joakim Nordstrom is on the 2nd line” and you’d be 100% correct.

That says more about the forward depth than Donato. They obviously thought he and Bjork would be in the mix this year but that hasn’t panned out so far.

I believe both Bjork and Donato are both going to be NHLers and I too was hoping that would be this year so we’ll see

That's one thing with Cassidy he really likes that defensive minded reliable forward, who can play in their own zone. I can't blame him to a certain extent but at times you have to let certain players learn on the fly, for the betterment of the team, and the player in the long run. Sure there's going to be some bumps in the road but that's life.

The Bruins need goals and Donato can score, so why not give him 7-8 games on one of the top two lines, and let him learn on the go. Cassidy is doing that to a certain extent with the defense.

I also feel the Bruins are deep enough and strong enough to over come his deficiencies and on top of that, I'd have a feeling the puck would probably be in the offensive end more than the defensive zone.

Sometimes a player will pick up his play and play more responsible once given the chance to play with the likes of a Bergeron. I like to see Donato, be given a chance to see if he's that type of player.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That's one thing with Cassidy he really likes that defensive minded reliable forward, who can play in their own zone. I can't blame him to a certain extent but at times you have to let certain players learn on the fly, for the betterment of the team, and the player in the long run. Sure there's going to be some bumps in the road but that's life.

The Bruins need goals and Donato can score, so why not give him 7-8 games on one of the top two lines, and let him learn on the go. Cassidy is doing that to a certain extent with the defense.

I also feel the Bruins are deep enough and strong enough to over come his deficiencies and on top of that, I'd have a feeling the puck would probably be in the offensive end more than the defensive zone.

Sometimes a player will pick up his play and play more responsible once given the chance to play with the likes of a Bergeron. I like to see Donato, be given a chance to see if he's that type of player.

I don’t see Cassidy moving Donato up to Bergeron’s or Krejci’s line at this point in his development. I think he likes Heinen there with Bergeron better as he’s more well rounded in the D zone which is what that line is expected to do against tougher matchups.

Getting DeBrusk back will change things as well. It really depends on what Cassidy decides to do with Bergeron’s line. Does he put Pastrnak back there or does he put Pasta on Krejci’s line with DeBrusk?

If he keeps Heinen on Bergeron’s line then that should move Donato down to the 3rd line with Nordstrom and Backes.

Either way I think Butch would slot Heinen with either Bergeron or Krejci before Donato

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
y'all are fluffing his pillows after a game in which he was a minus 2?! this place is ridiculous. Donato SUCKED in that game. huge time.

If we are going by plus/minus then Torey Krug must be our worst defender in the past 3 years because he’s been a combined -14.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Donato has had two really good games over the past week and a half. When I say good, I mean he's doing better in the zones other than the Ozone. He is still weak, but he has clearly worked on his technique and is trying to get lower for better leverage on the physical side of things. He still gets confused in his own zone at times, and his skating needs some work. His effort is there, though, and his compete level is getting better. Still not convinced he needs to be up with the Bs due to all his shortcomings, but it was fantastic to see him pot a couple goals yesterday. If he can score goals consistently then he is a net positive on the team.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Then play Bergeron with Donato to make up for his lack of 200 foot game. Bergeron allows anyone to let loose

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
If we are going by plus/minus then Torey Krug must be our worst defender in the past 3 years because he’s been a combined -14.
yes, he DOES seem to be responsible for more goals against than for. "oh, but he's really good at assisting when the other team has fewer players." whee. plus/minus haters want their teams to lose while scoring. how nobly sacrificial. "scoring is good for the popularity of the sport." cool, but can we please focus on winning games instead of sexy offense? Donato's minus two in a game in which he scored twice IS significant. deflecting blame on half of the goals against means he is a zero-sum player who got screwed over by his linemates and line change timing? c'mon. he is a constant minus. I won't cry if the team trades a minus defenseman with the garbage "powerplay points and leadership intangibles" qualities in exchange for an actually-plus player -- you know... the kind that makes the team better instead of worse... the kind that prevents goals against and leads to goals for at a positive rate instead of one that "passes the eye test" but sinks the team into the loser brackets. I should not let unintelligent people frustrate me....

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
After reading over and over about his skating needing work I noticed he seems to lean forward over his knees too much instead of squatting like skating instructors preach. I realize everyone skates different but that may be why he's often falling down, especially in contact.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Then play Bergeron with Donato to make up for his lack of 200 foot game. Bergeron allows anyone to let loose

Does it make sense to have Bergeron and Marchand have to be aware of where and what Donato is or isn’t doing against other teams top lines?

They’re really not in a position to put Donato there to learn on the fly when it makes more sense to put him on the 3rd line. They’re fighting for a playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad