Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I still remember Jimmy Hayes's hattrick or Vatrano's hattrick not that long ago to jump on Donato's train.
I don't understand all this hype about him. Last season front office and coaches tried to convince themselves he was ready. He was not, he was completely non factor in the playoffs. This season again Cassidy and Sweeney are trying to convince themselves he is ready for a top6 spot. He is not, he will disappear in the post season if Bs make it that far.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I still remember Jimmy Hayes's hattrick or Vatrano's hattrick not that long ago to jump on Donato's train.
I don't understand all this hype about him. Last season front office and coaches tried to convince themselves he was ready. He was not, he was completely non factor in the playoffs. This season again Cassidy and Sweeney are trying to convince themselves he is ready for a top6 spot. He is not, he will disappear in the post season if Bs make it that far.
No offense, but what a pile of shit.

The front office thought he was a better option in the playoffs than Tommy Wingles.

The front office gave him 3 games out of 11 in the playoffs.

He finished the season with 5 goals, in 12 games while commuting back and forth to finish school (that’s the pace Debrusk is on this year).

The kid hasn’t played a half season of NHL hockey yet so let’s roll back the shade. . . He’s going to be one heck of a player

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Now with all the limited playtime or I should say sheltered playingtime after next season he will be a RFA with limited exposure
What will he be worth? I guess it comes down to next season

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Posters on this board complain that CJ never gave young guys a chance...you read most of the threads for the kids and those same posters are already writing them off after as little as half a season of play.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Posters on this board complain that CJ never gave young guys a chance...you read most of the threads for the kids and those same posters are already writing them off after as little as half a season of play.
I think most would be good with the notion that the best players should play. It's pretty difficult to defend Donato's play this year.

Reactions: BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I love that Cassidy is giving the kids a look / development but if you use Koko and Spooner as an example it's not even close. CJ was horrible and always relied on his vets. I get what you're trying to say here but it's not the same thing at all.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
You can afford only one one of these guys in the lineup.
At least they are not making Krejci money

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
He isn’t? One has 4 goals and the other 5.

Yes, Donato has more goals in 11-12 less games.

Neither guy is Pastrnak right now, but IMO, at least Donato gives them a chance to score a goal a few times a game.

If the choice was him or Heinen being in the lineup, right now I'd go with Donato given the teams trouble scoring goals.

Perfect world....Donato becomes more reliable defensively and Heinen finds a way to contribute offensively. Absent that....I think this team has enough guys who can't score consistently that sitting Donato probably makes less sense than Heinen. (If that were the choice)

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
He's got great hands, he goes all out every shift, he's more than willing to go into the tough areas to score. He's not super fast, but he's a strong skater and he's going to be fine in the long term. More upside potential than Heinen, JFK, Cave. Bjork's got more quickness, but not the grit (so far).

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I love that Cassidy is giving the kids a look / development but if you use Koko and Spooner as an example it's not even close. CJ was horrible and always relied on his vets. I get what you're trying to say here but it's not the same thing at all.

Every coach relies on his vets. Not the coaches fault spooner and Koko are garbage players.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Would it be best for Danato to go down an play 20 minutes a game in Providence

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's hard to watch at times...Better options in Providence. Thinking FJK, Heinen and Donato are the trade chips why he/they stay in the line up.

I'm with you on this one. I still think Donato has the potential to be a good player for the Bruins- he has Vatrano-like issues at the moment, but has more skill and smarts in the o-zone than Vatrano does. Right now, though, I am struggling to see what he is bringing to the team that couldn't be done better by another young player, or at least giving one of them a shot.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Would it be best for Danato to go down an play 20 minutes a game in Providence
He’s already done the, though not twenty games. Nothing more to learn that he can’t get from Sacco, Cassidy, etc. Has two goals since his return including a game winner. Just a matter of time. The ability is there.

BTW, it’s DOnato

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm with you on this one. I still think Donato has the potential to be a good player for the Bruins- he has Vatrano-like issues at the moment, but has more skill and smarts in the o-zone than Vatrano does. Right now, though, I am struggling to see what he is bringing to the team that couldn't be done better by another young player, or at least giving one of them a shot.

I have to agree with this- I had hopes his stint in Providence would spur him to improve his defense but I'm not seeing all that much growth there. Cassidy can't shelter him forever, Donato has got to do more to justify his regular ice time not to mention his PP time. If he can't do it give someone else a try.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm not high on him at all at this point. Average skater, really good hands and great shot. Not very strong on the puck or on his skates. He reminds me of Vatrano, except Vatrano seemed quicker and stronger. He needs to spend the full year in Providence and get stronger and quicker IMO.

EDIT: I guess I should've read above me before I gave my hot take

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad