Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If they send him down again I don't want to see him again this season. IMO it's foolish to keep sending him up and down.

Let the kid marinate in Providence if you choose to send him down again. Finish the year there, put some weight on in the off season and lets see what next training camp brings him.

I did think he improved with his board work a little bit/creating a little separation compared to before he was sent down the first couple of games he was back. Something I thought he did sort of well when he joined the team late last year. But still kind of meh overall right now.

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Who in here wants to see Donato in the playoffs? I sure as hell don't. The Bs need to replace him in the lineup and send him down. He simply isn't strong enough. Mentioned before that I would put him on a serious strength training program over the summer then see what he can do next fall. He isn't going to gain appreciable strength during the hockey season. He is hurting the Bs at this point, and will be a liability even more when the playoffs come around. The Bs need to find someone for that roster spot this season and move forward.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
What I don't understand is how he can still be this weak after being in the Bruins system for a few years now. I know when he attended the summer rookie camps while still at Harvard, the team goes over his strengths and weaknesses with him. I'm sure he went back to school knowing what he needed to work on. Were was his Dad/Coach during that time? He should have had the experience to have noticed. Maybe Ryan played well in the summer pro league and figured it would carry over to the NHL. I think he has the tools to be a valuable player, and in the real world being 23 is still really young. However, in the NHL you're not so young. Pasta will be a veteran of 5 seasons at 23.

Reactions: BMC and FanSince72

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
What I don't understand is how he can still be this weak after being in the Bruins system for a few years now. I know when he attended the summer rookie camps while still at Harvard, the team goes over his strengths and weaknesses with him. I'm sure he went back to school knowing what he needed to work on. Were was his Dad/Coach during that time? He should have had the experience to have noticed. Maybe Ryan played well in the summer pro league and figured it would carry over to the NHL. I think he has the tools to be a valuable player, and in the real world being 23 is still really young. However, in the NHL you're not so young. Pasta will be a veteran of 5 seasons at 23.
Different strokes. Their paths were different. It’s not black and white. Different body type. It took Pasta a few year to bulk up. Until your playing against men, you don’t know how strong you are sometimes.

Reactions: StrBender

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Different strokes. Their paths were different. It’s not black and white. Different body type. It took Pasta a few year to bulk up. Until your playing against men, you don’t know how strong you are sometimes.
He should be there they cannot wait for him when Bjork may be already better, kid was given the royalty treatment. He does not have the separation speed to be an NHL player yet and may never have it. Heck I would rather see Senyshyn get a chance at least he has size and speed over Donato.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA

When I was comparing him to pasta, I was generalizing about their age, not there body type or path. As for playing against men? Ryan has been playing against NHL and AHL players every summer for the past 3-4 summers. I don't know if it's because of family ties, but. To me, I think some always assumed that he would just step in when the time arrived. Kreider had to play a couple seasons in the AHL and it helped his career a lot. Not saying they're alike. Just that when Kreider came out of college he was expected to step right in too.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
His offensive creativity is vastly underrated here, I don't mind letting him develop in the NHL. To me the only thing he is lacking is strength and that is not the end of the world. The discussions about his skating have merit but I think he skates well enough to play in the NHL and separation is mostly gained with confidence and poise anyway.

With Bergeron returning to the line up I would not be surprised to see 4+point weekend from him.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If they send him down again I don't want to see him again this season. IMO it's foolish to keep sending him up and down.

Let the kid marinate in Providence if you choose to send him down again. Finish the year there, put some weight on in the off season and lets see what next training camp brings him.

I did think he improved with his board work a little bit/creating a little separation compared to before he was sent down the first couple of games he was back. Something I thought he did sort of well when he joined the team late last year. But still kind of meh overall right now.
I believe they are waiting on Jake to return and Danato heads back to Providence

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I believe they are waiting on Jake to return and Danato heads back to Providence
I hope so. It is painful watching him out there. He's not at NHL level right now. Really was hoping things would work out for him since the Bs need goal scoring in the bottom 9, but he simply is not that good other than his shot, which hasn't been exactly lethal. I'm beyond tired of him shooting the puck from stupid places on the ice when he has great options to pass. I'd absolutely hate to be on a line with him if I were a B.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Can we roll back the Pasta comps? In a redo he goes first overall, might as well compare him to mckinnon or mcdavid.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
I just watched the replay of the goal that got called back and I really wish Jack had got the call right.

If the goal was allowed it would have been Donato”s and it was sweet! He gets spun by Salomaki and goes down but quickly recovers to his knees. Salomaki continues on to challenge McAvoy so he throws an airborne pass towards the slot. Donato makes a great tip, out of the air, from his knees and puts it just inside the post.

Thing of beauty and it will never be recognized...oh well.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
His offensive creativity is vastly underrated here, I don't mind letting him develop in the NHL. To me the only thing he is lacking is strength and that is not the end of the world. The discussions about his skating have merit but I think he skates well enough to play in the NHL and separation is mostly gained with confidence and poise anyway.

With Bergeron returning to the line up I would not be surprised to see 4+point weekend from him.

What exactly is this offensive creativity you speak of? I don't see it, and I don't chalk it up to bad puck luck, either.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
Can we roll back the Pasta comps? In a redo he goes first overall, might as well compare him to mckinnon or mcdavid.

I made an adjustment in a post after that one. I didn't mean for it to read as I was comparing the skill of the two players. I chose Pasta because he's a Bruin. What I was trying to say is, not all, but most top young players will have 3-4 NHL seasons under their belt by the time their 23. That's not to say that someone just getting their feet wet at 23 won't turn into a bonified stud. I hope with time Ryan does.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
What exactly is this offensive creativity you speak of? I don't see it, and I don't chalk it up to bad puck luck, either.
It’s shifts like that shift...I feel like those happen more then most fans seem to recognize.

The play starts with Donato pressuring Ekholm on the forecheck, which forces a bad pass, which creates a turn over at the blue line. The play would have died if the poor skating Donato didn’t hustle to get back onsides. A deflected pass comes bouncing to him and he settles it with one tap and puts it right on Backes stick in front of the net. When the drive from the left point doesn’t go in he collects the rebound, his move doesn’t work but he keeps the puck. He drills a nice short side attempt which leads to the scramble in front. As he comes around the other side of the net the puck pops out right to Salomaki but Donato gets his stick in there and disrupts the clear. The play takes him off his feet and allows McAvoy to...well I have already described the rest.

Tonight was not a great game for him, that was a good shift and a good example of what I see.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
You won't find a bigger supporter of Donato than me, I think his hands and his creativity are high-end and we've seen it at every level including the NHL last year.

That said, I don't think it's helping him to be in the NHL right now. He's just not able to pull off the moves and tricks he's used to doing, and his lack of speed and strength really stand out when he's not generating scoring chances.

Donato was successful last season because he came onto this team absolutely brimming with confidence and creativity. He needs to get that back. IMO, the best thing for him would be to go down (and stay down for the rest of the year) and become the most dangerous player in Providence, if not the entire AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad