Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Every line with Palat is our best line. For some reason, that trait just follows that kid around. Either he's the luckiest SOB in the league, or he's the one that makes it happen.

Palat is awesome. I had the privilege of watching Chris Kreider for several games with the Rangers but he just does not have the offensive talent or even defensive talent like Palat, and Kreider was skating with Rick Nash, so it's not like he did not have top line mates. Kreider's game is actually very similar to Cally's in that he will go in front of the net, and hit other players, except he is more of a one way forward, you won't see him in defensive situations or killing penalties. Palat does it all, and I have the most respect for players who can score around 20 goals or more in a season, put up around 50 points, and kill penalties, block shots, and check. I think that is why the Pallahan line has been so good, because you have two guys who do everything on the ice. I don't think it was a coincidence they were a + 2 rating last night.

I think the Pallahan line had a little more chemistry than the Palat and Stamkos line. You look back at the season, and compare how many 5 on 5 goals were scored on those lines or at least how many really good scoring chances did each develop? I think having Flip there, just made that line come alive, and all 3 players just were a good fit together. 15 games is not really that small of a sample, and Cally had 11 points in that span. Then after Palat is moved up, Flip gets hurt, it truly hurts the production of that line.

I don't think Tampa fans should be upset, without Bishop this series and playoffs were not going to go too far. They played well, and when you don't have confidence with someone in net, then it really brings the entire team down.

Tampa fans should also be proud that they were one of the teams to finish with over 100 points, and locked in #3 in the conference right behind Boston and Pittsburgh.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He scored 6 goals in 20 games (That's above average goal scoring), when the Rangers reached the ECF in the 2012 playoffs, he was one of the best forwards for that ECF series, rest of the team ran out of gas. Last season, he scored two key goals, including a game tying one against Boston, he also was playing last season with a torn shoulder, so was limited.

He will score goals in those key moments, he did score a goal in Game 3 to put Tampa ahead. But it was disallowed and it was a bad call. He made a ton of hard hits, created turnovers, screened the goalie but had no points to show for it.

So, I don't understand what more you expected from him, Flip was not good this series at all, likely because of injury. Did not help that line to get going. Also, why would Cooper put Cally with Stamkos and Palat if he felt he was not having a good series or at least worthy enough to be on the same line with the top guys on the team?

Pretty much this

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
As a Habs watcher, it's pretty clear that a lot of Lightning fans here show a lot of affection for how he played in the absence of their former captain. He probably gave a lot of people hope when they were still hurt from St. Louis' departure. He's a heart and soul kind of guy who you love to watch each shift.

That said, when I look at the makeup of the team and I look at the young guys coming up, I really think the Lightning should focus on spending any extra money on their defence instead of locking up a guy like Callahan to a long term deal. Next year you're probably looking at Stamkos, Johnson, Drouin, Palat, Filppula, Purcell, Brown and Kucherov in your top nine alone. Adding Callahan to that would certainly make you a better team but is it better for your future? Is it better in three years when guys need to start getting paid?

I also echo the comments on JT Brown. I really think Adam Erne could make the NHL soon too and he'd be better off as a third liner than given sheltered minutes on the fourth. I just don't see the room, especially with so many young guys who are gonna command money years to come and Tampa would be better to wait to pay them than drop a five to six year investment on Callahan.

I watched Callahan in New York and I've seen him in Tampa, especially in these four playoff games. Sometimes heart and soul isn't enough. It certainly isn't enough for a multi-year commitment on a team like Tampa valued at $5M or more.

That's my view of it.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
They've already said they'd like to sign Cally. True, we have a ton of young forwards but those guys need leadership and role models. I see Cally as a fit there. Man, if we could dump/trade/fire into the sun Purcell and keep Cally instead? That would be awesome.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
As a Habs watcher, it's pretty clear that a lot of Lightning fans here show a lot of affection for how he played in the absence of their former captain. He probably gave a lot of people hope when they were still hurt from St. Louis' departure. He's a heart and soul kind of guy who you love to watch each shift.

That said, when I look at the makeup of the team and I look at the young guys coming up, I really think the Lightning should focus on spending any extra money on their defence instead of locking up a guy like Callahan to a long term deal. Next year you're probably looking at Stamkos, Johnson, Drouin, Palat, Filppula, Purcell, Brown and Kucherov in your top nine alone. Adding Callahan to that would certainly make you a better team but is it better for your future? Is it better in three years when guys need to start getting paid?

I also echo the comments on JT Brown. I really think Adam Erne could make the NHL soon too and he'd be better off as a third liner than given sheltered minutes on the fourth. I just don't see the room, especially with so many young guys who are gonna command money years to come and Tampa would be better to wait to pay them than drop a five to six year investment on Callahan.

I watched Callahan in New York and I've seen him in Tampa, especially in these four playoff games. Sometimes heart and soul isn't enough. It certainly isn't enough for a multi-year commitment on a team like Tampa valued at $5M or more.

That's my view of it.

I agree with this. Huge Cally fan can't believe i didn't want him on our team for the cost of the little guy. But what I saw from JT brown was promising and adding Adam Erne it's not like we won't have those type of players later (we could add Adrian kempe) in the 1st as well. But don't expect purcell will be on the team next year.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Callahan is not the driver in any line. He needs really productive line-mates to score (a la 2011 Purcell). I'm fine with signing him but I'm personally strongly against a long term contract.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Mutual interest, but he pushed too far not to try UFA, IMHO“@spongebob450r: I know it is early, but do you see us resigning callahan?â€

Hmm...

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

That's my view of it.

I think everyone in Tampa is sick of Teddy Purcell.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I hope we re-sign him. You can't blame him for early exit, this was on our (team) defense and goaltending.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
I think the issue with Purcell is that he got his fat contract and now he's too comfortable.

He's the same player he was before the contract. He's inconsisitent and a peripheral player. I remember saying something similar and also that he was getting too much money at the time of his signing and everyone said I was wrong. The same thing with Carle, too much money and mistake prone. If they can sign Callahan to a reasonable contract, then do it, but he is not worth 5.5 a year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's the same player he was before the contract. He's inconsisitent and a peripheral player. I remember saying something similar and also that he was getting too much money at the time of his signing and everyone said I was wrong. The same thing with Carle, too much money and mistake prone. If they can sign Callahan to a reasonable contract, then do it, but he is not worth 5.5 a year.

I'm not sure that Purcell was this slow to engage before. There's no jump in his step anymore. The play is already over before he reacts to it.

With Callahan: His demand isn't going to seem that outrageous in a couple of years. He's going to get his money somewhere, and that's going to create a new market for second line grinders. Within two years, far worse players than Callahan will be asking for 6 million because they'll have plenty of comparables around the league.

We're going to need a player like Cally if we want to compete, and they're only going to get more expensive from here on out.

PCMN

Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
I would not be rooting for Tampa if Cally was not traded here. So it is a little personal. A lot of people follow their favorite player, or at least root for that team like myself. I'm still rooting for the Rangers now, but I think by next season if Cally re-signs here will just be rooting for Tampa.

I agree, that he was not excellent in the playoffs, he was also not terrible or even mediocre, he played well with what he had to work with. But like you said there is a room for a lot of improvement. I just think this was not the year, between the no goal call, and Stamkos breaking his stick when he is wide open, plus Bishop, Palat, and Flip all getting hurt was the writing on the wall of this series outcome.

But with that said only around 5 months to the next season. That is not too far away.

Same here man. Rangers was my B team (i'm a habs fan please dont throw rocks at me) and like i said many times(the Bolts being my B team now) i would've been cheering for you if you guys won 1st round.If Cally move that's ok the bolts are still a VERY interesting team with a solid young core.

That being said, at the beginning i was one of them who said cally worh 6-6.5M$/y but now that i think of it, after the playoffs, i don't think he does. He gives his 110% EVERY SHIFTS, the problem is that when comes the playoffs he can't give more and pretty much everyone steps up to this gritty type of play so cally seems less good than in regular season. With this much money you can get more depth or a better impact player.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
If Cally re-signs I hope we take the A off Brewers jersey and give it to him. I just think that Cally needs a letter on his sweater to help bring out all of his true leadership qualities.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Callahan is not the driver in any line. He needs really productive line-mates to score (a la 2011 Purcell). I'm fine with signing him but I'm personally strongly against a long term contract.

This. His style of play takes a toll on his body, and if we give him a long-term contract it's going to look really ugly in the later years. The prospect of a 6 year contract scares me.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Same here man. Rangers was my B team (i'm a habs fan please dont throw rocks at me) and like i said many times(the Bolts being my B team now) i would've been cheering for you if you guys won 1st round.If Cally move that's ok the bolts are still a VERY interesting team with a solid young core.

That being said, at the beginning i was one of them who said cally worh 6-6.5M$/y but now that i think of it, after the playoffs, i don't think he does. He gives his 110% EVERY SHIFTS, the problem is that when comes the playoffs he can't give more and pretty much everyone steps up to this gritty type of play so cally seems less good than in regular season. With this much money you can get more depth or a better impact player.

His energy usually charges the team. He had one solid good year in the playoffs, scoring 6 goals in 20 games, which is really good, but last season played with a torn shoulder and had off season surgery. Callahan deserves to be looked at for his last 3 seasons before this one, it is an unfair assessment to look at this season. Yet he still managed 17 goals in 65 games. You have to give him productive play makers because he will then put up the goals.

Cally deserves a good contract now, or a team where he can end his career, but in that time will give every last effort he can give.

I am about to explode on the general forum who are blaming Cally for this series loss.

This. His style of play takes a toll on his body, and if we give him a long-term contract it's going to look really ugly in the later years. The prospect of a 6 year contract scares me.

He has at least 5 strong years, if the last season is just average the deal would still be a win. Which is why if you give him a NTC for the 1st four or five years only, they can try and deal him if he is not working out in the end.

KreiMeARiver*

Ranger fan here just coming to :cry:

It's really hard to see him on another team, but business is business.

MSL is starting to come alive.

Hope you guys enjoy Captain Cally :cry:

PCMN

Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
His energy usually charges the team. He had one solid good year in the playoffs, scoring 6 goals in 20 games, which is really good, but last season played with a torn shoulder and had off season surgery. Callahan deserves to be looked at for his last 3 seasons before this one, it is an unfair assessment to look at this season. Yet he still managed 17 goals in 65 games. You have to give him productive play makers because he will then put up the goals.

Cally deserves a good contract now, or a team where he can end his career, but in that time will give every last effort he can give.

I am about to explode on the general forum who are blaming Cally for this series loss.

He has at least 5 strong years, if the last season is just average the deal would still be a win. Which is why if you give him a NTC for the 1st four or five years only, they can try and deal him if he is not working out in the end.

No no no! I'm saying Overall in playoffs he doesn't seems to bring the energy to the teamhe brings in regular season by the fact that playoff itself usually pump up players. I've been following him since 2011 and he's been by fare my favourite player, but i don't think he deserves 6M$ for 6 years, unless he plays with solid playmakers that will help him put up big numbers.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No no no! I'm saying Overall in playoffs he doesn't seems to bring the energy to the teamhe brings in regular season by the fact that playoff itself usually pump up players. I've been following him since 2011 and he's been by fare my favourite player, but i don't think he deserves 6M$ for 6 years, unless he plays with solid playmakers that will help him put up big numbers.

Yeah he was great in that Devils series, but could not get his teammates pumped up. He leads by example by his actions on the ice, and not in the locker room. 6 Million is not too far-fetched for him, but no one should be upset if he signs a 6 and 6 deal.

Will you be rooting him on if he re-signs here? Right now I am rooting for the Rangers and Tampa, well not Tampa now since they were eliminated.

As the person above said it's a business, but it is great seeing people like us rooting for our favorite player even when he moves to another team.

PCMN

Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
Yeah he was great in that Devils series, but could not get his teammates pumped up. He leads by example by his actions on the ice, and not in the locker room. 6 Million is not too far-fetched for him, but no one should be upset if he signs a 6 and 6 deal.

Will you be rooting him on if he re-signs here? Right now I am rooting for the Rangers and Tampa, well not Tampa now since they were eliminated.

As the person above said it's a business, but it is great seeing people like us rooting for our favorite player even when he moves to another team.

I sure will, i think regardless of the money he's a good fit. And having him there made me watch Tampa games and it only took a few to love the team. They play with such grit and speed.

It's over with the rangers tho, they were my B team because of Duinsky/Cally and both are gone. I also hate Benoit Pouliot more than anything, he's the kind of guy that will make you loose the playoffs. I'll be rooting for them whenever they play a team i hate(PIT and BOS for exemple).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I sure will, i think regardless of the money he's a good fit. And having him there made me watch Tampa games and it only took a few to love the team. They play with such grit and speed.

It's over with the rangers tho, they were my B team because of Duinsky/Cally and both are gone. I also hate Benoit Pouliot more than anything, he's the kind of guy that will make you loose the playoffs. I'll be rooting for them whenever they play a team i hate(PIT and BOS for exemple).

Cool, I'm sure both of us will be posting here next season, because I strongly think Cally will re-sign with Tampa.

The only issue I have with Pouliot is that AV decided to leave Callahan off the PP in favor of Pouliot, at that time their PP fell off. He had 36 points in 81 games, Cally had 36 points in 65 games, and had 3 different injuries to deal with. So Cally basically lost his job and was traded over a 30 point scorer and then some. :shakehead If Cally stayed healthy this season he would be re-signed with the Rangers, and would have had easily over 50 points this season again.

Rangers have been playing well, but they have lost some, won some, but have not played the big boys yet. Will be interesting what happens. It's also funny that Brad Richards has found himself on the 3rd line again. Rangers paying him nearly 7 Million dollars to be on the 3rd line? :shakehead

BobBobrovsky*

Cool, I'm sure both of us will be posting here next season, because I strongly think Cally will re-sign with Tampa.

The only issue I have with Pouliot is that AV decided to leave Callahan off the PP in favor of Pouliot, at that time their PP fell off. He had 36 points in 81 games, Cally had 36 points in 65 games, and had 3 different injuries to deal with. So Cally basically lost his job and was traded over a 30 point scorer and then some. :shakehead If Cally stayed healthy this season he would be re-signed with the Rangers, and would have had easily over 50 points this season again.

Rangers have been playing well, but they have lost some, won some, but have not played the big boys yet. Will be interesting what happens. It's also funny that Brad Richards has found himself on the 3rd line again. Rangers paying him nearly 7 Million dollars to be on the 3rd line? :shakehead

They should beat Philly and then Pitt - they will not beat Columbus so better hope that Pitt wins - and will then lose to either Boston or Montreal. It's all about match-ups at this stage.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Look cally scoring goals is about power play time what did we get exactly power plays?

We had an abundance of those right?

He did not have a bad series at all he was in front of the net causing issues that is what we are going to pay him for.

WE NEED SOMEONE TO DO THAT. He had the same energy and drive this series as he did since he has came here.

I mean I am disgusted with a lot of you to be kind.

We need a guy at the net. We dont have guys that do that very well at all.

Erne is coming but that is a couple years off. There are guys sure we can go cheaper who ARE NOT AS GOOD AS CALLAHAN in any FACET OF THE GAME.

SO LETS BE CHEAP AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS. DAMN IM GLAD A LOT OF YOU DONT RUN ANYTHING CAUSE I CAN SEE HOW TERRIBLY FRUSTRATING THE FUTURE WOULD BE.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Look cally scoring goals is about power play time what did we get exactly power plays?

We had an abundance of those right?

He did not have a bad series at all he was in front of the net causing issues that is what we are going to pay him for.

WE NEED SOMEONE TO DO THAT. He had the same energy and drive this series as he did since he has came here.

I mean I am disgusted with a lot of you to be kind.

We need a guy at the net. We dont have guys that do that very well at all.

Erne is coming but that is a couple years off. There are guys sure we can go cheaper who ARE NOT AS GOOD AS CALLAHAN in any FACET OF THE GAME.

SO LETS BE CHEAP AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS. DAMN IM GLAD A LOT OF YOU DONT RUN ANYTHING CAUSE I CAN SEE HOW TERRIBLY FRUSTRATING THE FUTURE WOULD BE.

Damn you talk like you actually run a professional hockey team or something, we're voicing our opinions on a hockey message board, no need to consistently talk like you're better than everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad