Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's Thursday man, the work week is almost done, relax a little.

Maybe I didn't say it enough times in my original post. I have no ill will towards Callahan, he is what he is, a shell of the player he once was. I also specifically stated that I don't think we got the best of the trade. You're mid-week anger led you to not read my entire post. Read it again please, and take a deep breath. I can also write a rant on how awful St. Louis was as a Ranger for the past month and a half, would you like me to?

Pouliot was a better player this season than Callahan; it's not outlandish and you seem to be the one that is defensive here. Do you maybe think there maybe was a reason Callahan was pulled off of the powerplay? Hmm...

I watched plenty of Tampa with Callahan. He showed a little more energy, but once again you're not reading my original post. I said be wary of deadline acquisitions; the Rangers have learned this the hard way with Brassard, Wolski, etc.

Who do you think knows more about Callahan, Rangers fans or Lightning fans? Read my posts for the past 2+ years. Callahan didn't have an "off" year this season. He's been on a decline for a couple of seasons. Yes, it is likely due to injuries, he's not a lazy player and I don't dislike him, but he's declined big time. I think I would be able to analyze Ryan Callahan better then a Lightning fan who has had him for 24 games. He's lost a ton of the sandpaper that made him the player he once was, and as a result he no longer shows the tenacity to cover up his mental mistakes (which he still makes in abundance).

If anything, I should want Tampa to resign him so we get our 2nd round pick. I provided a completely normal posts urging you of the opposite, because I truly believe Callahan is going to get overpaid by some team a few million dollars. You're angry.

I posted in the general forum on the thread "How you became a fan of your team" It will explain it better and why I have this passion for one player. Why I became a Rangers fan, it was because of Ryan Callahan, did not have a true hockey team, have been a Yankees fan for years, a Miami Dolphins fan for years, but have only really got into the Rangers about 5 years ago or so.

If you are going to make fun of me rooting for another team because my favorite player went there......."sorry lightningstikes", but you can go to hell.

How the hell can you say he has been in this so called decline. Look at his last 3 seasons, yeah he has had injuries but he has always come back strong, like how he finished the regular season in Tampa. As per the PP, he did not get taken off the PP, He came back from his knee injury, and AV did not want to change things around because the PP was running hot, but it was hot when Cally was on it, in the beginning of the year as well. Look at the god damn stats he had 4 PP goals in his first 10 games of the season, that is not production? what the hell is? The multiple injuries in one season made it hard for him to get into any groove. Missing PP time had hurt his production numbers as well, and that was going on over 15 games. At that time the PP slowly got worse, and AV put Cally back on it. Because he needed to get it hot again, but then the olympic break came, and then the trade deadline and he was gone.

You know I don't even know why I am replying to you, any Ranger fan who does not appreciate what Cally did, and wants him to succeed, is a bitter ice cold fan.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
I dont know. Stevie is the leader and has said wants him back. Cooper saying same thing to me is saying hey Ryan you are our guy. Play ball with us and we will keep you forever etc..

So to me the message just comes across right.

Was situation this year edmonton asked how they could turn it around what should do etc..

I was like tell your dammed GM to get on every sports page tv show etc.. and say Ryan Miller is our guy. He is who we want etc.. I really think if they had done that Mr. Ryan Miller might have said you know what I want to go to edmonton and lead them.

Athletes have ego's and to stroke them goes a long way.

They want to be treated fairly etc.. but love to hear the words YOU ARE OUR GUY.

I think its smart.

Also think callahan is coming back here cause they truly want him. Hopefully everyone wins and can be a 5 x 5.7 deal etc...

EDIT::::

Really liked the callahan exit interview myself. He brought up the three things winning family and money.

I really think number two is KEY.

Think can be agreed we like him management team mates. Money can be worked out so boils down to was family happy here.

I heard nothing about that at all? Did he bring his family here at all? He was clearing out preparing his words to go home. Does he have kids and wife? Ages are they boys interested in hockey? Marty factor.

So yeah that is a big deal anyone have any answers to those questions?

Except for being close to relatives who would prefer Buffalo to Tampa Bay?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I dont know. Stevie is the leader and has said wants him back. Cooper saying same thing to me is saying hey Ryan you are our guy. Play ball with us and we will keep you forever etc..

So to me the message just comes across right.

Was situation this year edmonton asked how they could turn it around what should do etc..

I was like tell your dammed GM to get on every sports page tv show etc.. and say Ryan Miller is our guy. He is who we want etc.. I really think if they had done that Mr. Ryan Miller might have said you know what I want to go to edmonton and lead them.

Athletes have ego's and to stroke them goes a long way.

They want to be treated fairly etc.. but love to hear the words YOU ARE OUR GUY.

I think its smart.

Also think callahan is coming back here cause they truly want him. Hopefully everyone wins and can be a 5 x 5.7 deal etc...

EDIT::::

Really liked the callahan exit interview myself. He brought up the three things winning family and money.

I really think number two is KEY.

Think can be agreed we like him management team mates. Money can be worked out so boils down to was family happy here.

I heard nothing about that at all? Did he bring his family here at all? He was clearing out preparing his words to go home. Does he have kids and wife? Ages are they boys interested in hockey? Marty factor.

So yeah that is a big deal anyone have any answers to those questions?

He wants to win. Be on a winning team, and for him to mention how bright Tampa's future is, to me that is an indication of him wanting to stay here. Everyone assumes he wants to go to Buffalo, it just does not make sense to me. It will take years for that team to be in contention again. Everyone also assumed Buffalo is going to offer him this monster deal.

Tampa has two, actually three advantages..

1.) Tax situation, can take 10 to 15 percent less and still like making the same in NY
2.) Winning team, to skate with Steven Stamkos and these other young promising players is a win.

3.) Tampa is the only team who can talk to him now, and they have until July 1st. Yzeman can drum up a deal, if it looks good, Cally won't go into Free Agency.

As per his family, he has a 1 or 2 year old daughter with one on the way. So they are young now, and it's why he wants job security. He needs to plan his future and where he is going to end up in the next 5 or 6 years. Also, yes they have been down here in Tampa now.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Some of your 'reasonable' offers here are a lot less than what Callahan turned down earlier in the season from Rangers. Why would he accept 5x5 if there will be at least half-dozen teams willing to overpay just to get him?

5,5m in florida is more than 6m in NY due to taxes.... Thats why we can get him for less than other teams, because he will still have more.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He wants to win. Be on a winning team, and for him to mention how bright Tampa's future is, to me that is an indication of him wanting to stay here. Everyone assumes he wants to go to Buffalo, it just does not make sense to me. It will take years for that team to be in contention again. Everyone also assumed Buffalo is going to offer him this monster deal.

Tampa has two, actually three advantages..

1.) Tax situation, can take 10 to 15 percent less and still like making the same in NY
2.) Winning team, to skate with Steven Stamkos and these other young promising players is a win.

3.) Tampa is the only team who can talk to him now, and they have until July 1st. Yzeman can drum up a deal, if it looks good, Cally won't go into Free Agency.

As per his family, he has a 1 or 2 year old daughter with one on the way. So they are young now, and it's why he wants job security. He needs to plan his future and where he is going to end up in the next 5 or 6 years. Also, yes they have been down here in Tampa now.

So as long as the wife had a good time here we should be a lock:) Obviously he can have two houses also.

Whoever asked where would you live I have friends in rochester and liked it actually but only one place have I truly loved and that was this area. No idea why the water and palm trees do it for me and once visited at 18 knew this was home.

Been to san diego la all over atlanta other places all over the north arizona las vegas etc..

This is only place ever felt truly right that is with 28 years in michigan.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So as long as the wife had a good time here we should be a lock:) Obviously he can have two houses also.

Whoever asked where would you live I have friends in rochester and liked it actually but only one place have I truly loved and that was this area. No idea why the water and palm trees do it for me and once visited at 18 knew this was home.

Been to san diego la all over atlanta other places all over the north arizona las vegas etc..

This is only place ever felt truly right that is with 28 years in michigan.

Well if you are a family man like myself and Cally, Your kids go to school in the Fall/Winter/Spring, right? So while in school, Daddy is working on the ice hitting everyone in sight, lol. then in the Summer they are off along with Daddy, so is the Hockey season. Cally and his family can come up to NY in the summer with the rest of the snow birds, lol, and visit with his parents, in laws (not too much), lol, and visit friends. You know he has a lot of friends up in NY on the Rangers like Dan Giradi, so it's not like these guys will lose touch, and that is what the summer is for.

We really can't tell this guy what is good for him, it has to be what he thinks is good for him and his family. Yeah sure, if he goes to Buffalo it is a NY team for me, but there is no pride in that. Will be the captain, king of the misfit toys. That team has years before they get back on track..............Buffalo wins the cup next season now! :laugh:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I posted in the general forum on the thread "How you became a fan of your team" It will explain it better and why I have this passion for one player. Why I became a Rangers fan, it was because of Ryan Callahan, did not have a true hockey team, have been a Yankees fan for years, a Miami Dolphins fan for years, but have only really got into the Rangers about 5 years ago or so.

If you are going to make fun of me rooting for another team because my favorite player went there......."sorry lightningstikes", but you can go to hell.

How the hell can you say he has been in this so called decline. Look at his last 3 seasons, yeah he has had injuries but he has always come back strong, like how he finished the regular season in Tampa. As per the PP, he did not get taken off the PP, He came back from his knee injury, and AV did not want to change things around because the PP was running hot, but it was hot when Cally was on it, in the beginning of the year as well. Look at the god damn stats he had 4 PP goals in his first 10 games of the season, that is not production? what the hell is? The multiple injuries in one season made it hard for him to get into any groove. Missing PP time had hurt his production numbers as well, and that was going on over 15 games. At that time the PP slowly got worse, and AV put Cally back on it. Because he needed to get it hot again, but then the olympic break came, and then the trade deadline and he was gone.

You know I don't even know why I am replying to you, any Ranger fan who does not appreciate what Cally did, and wants him to succeed, is a bitter ice cold fan.

FWIW, I wasn't being snarky. The colonials guy said something to the effect of "I'm a Ranger fan so I've watched him and know what I'm talking about, whereas you're a Lightning fan and don't know what you're talking about," so I thought I'd clarify for him.

tidus37

Chicken Parm Mafia
Apr 24, 2014
Tampa Bay/Raleigh
Hi everyone! This is my first post so please don't throw rocks at me ^_^ but I wanted to comment on the Ryan Callahan issue. And I also wanted to say something...

Agent for Ryan Callahan said every report his client has given him about the Lightning is 'positive,' and team 'in the mix' for next season @LightningTimes - Damien Cristodero

Through all the media interviews that Cally has had with the Bolts, he kept pointing out that "we have a bright future" when it comes to our group. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I really hope that Ryan Callahan signs with us...he was my favorite Ranger when he was playing for NYR and he's my favorite Bolt now.

Anyway, aside from that..assuming that we do bring Jo Drouin up next year as well as get more organized together I feel that Steve Yzerman wants to sign Cally not only for the work ethic if not he can teach our youngsters that same "heart and soul" so to speak. Is it possible that he can leave a deep impression with the new kids like he is starting to with Ondrej Palat if he stays? Darren Dreger also reported that he told Steve Bartlett (his agent) that he loves Tampa Bay and our young group of guys here. :)

Another thing is, what does his nana and parents think of him loving it here in Tampa?

Just a thought.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Anyway, aside from that..assuming that we do bring Jo Drouin up next year as well as get more organized together I feel that Steve Yzerman wants to sign Cally not only for the work ethic if not he can teach our youngsters that same "heart and soul" so to speak. Is it possible that he can leave a deep impression with the new kids like he is starting to with Ondrej Palat if he stays? Darren Dreger also reported that he told Steve Bartlett (his agent) that he loves Tampa Bay and our young group of guys here. :)

Just a thought.

I do think that his "heart and soul" nature is something we want in this franchise. We really did look better with him on the ice in the final weeks. He seemed to help make Palat play a little more gritty, and he brings a lot of leadership that we need. I really like the guy. If we resign him, I will prolly retire my Vinny jersey and get a Callahan Jersey eventually.

Really is just about the caphit. The NMC can be negotiated if we get a decent caphit from him.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
FWIW, I wasn't being snarky. The colonials guy said something to the effect of "I'm a Ranger fan so I've watched him and know what I'm talking about, whereas you're a Lightning fan and don't know what you're talking about," so I thought I'd clarify for him.

Oh no it's all good. I just can't stand when someone comes in here and bashes a player. Trust me very few Ranger fans have anything bad to say about Callahan, when you go to the garden, still have a lot of people wearing "24" proudly.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Glad to have you here tidus and welcome

For me I want cally have since about his fourth game. He does the little things that pay off for everyone. He might never hit the scoreboard enough to make some happy but that guy in front of the net who lets slappers get through is invaluable see

thomas holmstrom:) most seasons he averaged 40 points two seasons over 50 but you know what? Today right now in his prime at 28? I flat out give that man 6 x 6 if is needed to keep him cause he did the little things and it made everyone better. He missed his share of games for hurts blocking shots etc.. people made jokes on the man? No one ever really *****ed on him like have seen a lot of guys from new york so I dont get it cause callahan is simply a better player lol.

P.S. the house thing is funny to me only that he knows burned his welcome so wont even be a snow bird when retires!!

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glad to have you here tidus and welcome

For me I want cally have since about his fourth game. He does the little things that pay off for everyone. He might never hit the scoreboard enough to make some happy but that guy in front of the net who lets slappers get through is invaluable see

thomas holmstrom:) most seasons he averaged 40 points two seasons over 50 but you know what? Today right now in his prime at 28? I flat out give that man 6 x 6 if is needed to keep him cause he did the little things and it made everyone better. He missed his share of games for hurts blocking shots etc.. people made jokes on the man? No one ever really *****ed on him like have seen a lot of guys from new york so I dont get it cause callahan is simply a better player lol.

P.S. the house thing is funny to me only that he knows burned his welcome so wont even be a snow bird when retires!!

These were Cally's production numbers over the last 4 seasons...

60 GP - 23 Goals 25 A - 48 points
76 GP - 29 Goals 25 A - 54 points
45 GP - 16 Goals 15 A - 31 points (Short season due to lockout)
64 GP - 17 Goals 19 A - 36 points ( 3 injuries, including off season shoulder surgery, lost PP and offensive time, traded to a new team, and pretty much any crap you can throw at a player.

Totals over the last 4 seasons...

245 GP - 85 Goals 84 A - 169 points = .69 PPG average

So if his injuries are behind him, which can be if he plays more conservative blocking shots, he is going to put up around 50+ points. He is a two way shut down forward, as you guys saw. He did not have a chance in the playoffs to shut down Montreal since they were always in the lead in the last period. The playoffs were not entirely his fault. He was a little slow in the 1st two games, but the last 2 games he played very well, so well in game 3 he scored the go ahead goal, well unofficially, and played so well Cooper moved him up with Stamkos and Palat, to me that says it all, not what some fans think how he played. You don't move a player to the top line if he is sucking, lol.

I think 6 million is pushing it a little, but with a cap going up, everyone salaries are inflated. Do you pay a little extra for a guy that can raise the bar for a team? From what I read from you guys and on the coaches and whatnot since Cally has come here, the PK has been better, and so has the PP. Not just because Stamkos came back who did also have a big part of it of course. I like to see how many PP goals were scored when Cally was on the ice and was a big part of the play but did not register a point. A simple fore-check on a player who tries to clear the puck, cannot, Cally passes to the point but misses out on the assist. I just don't think certain people see that. But thats why i posted the point stats above. :D

I could care less what a few bitter cold Ranger fans say. Because they will say anything to bring him down to make that trade look better for them and worse for Tampa.

Last edited:

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"off-season game plan: Buffalo sabres"

"In an ideal world, best-case scenario, the Sabres would still seem to be three-to-four years -- yes, years -- away from being a playoff team, so patience is required. That includes from the new general manager. "

" Sure, it would be nice to add some with local ties, like Rochester-born Ryan Callahan, but if Callahan has other suitors, it doesn't make for the Sabres to shell out big long-term money for a 29-year-old winger." Yessssss

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450355

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Captain Dave was on 620 this morning and mentioned that Stevie Y has been in contact with Callahan's agent the past couple weeks starting to try and work something out.

Some of it depends on what Stevie Y does on D. I think we are set with Forwards, so not anticipating any additional cap hits there. But we need some defense men and I can see our spending going up there.

Not sure how much room we have but with the CAP going up next year I would go 6X5 for him. I might even go a little above 6 a year if it meant only going 5 years. Not sure why but feel like 6 years is just a year too long to sign almost anyone. I think we have learned from some other long term contracts that end up not being all that great on the back side (cough Malone cough).

But even if we don't sign him, the future is sure bright here. The sweep hurts, but it's a building block and I think will actually go a long way in teaching the rookies how hard they have to compete in the playoffs.

I hope all of our Rookies spend some time with Gary Roberts or equivalent this summer. They need to strengthen up!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think tj will get done and I also think we will do something at D. SY knows that's the big weakness of the team and we won't do anything special unless we do something there. The question is what and how(much).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I posted this in the main forum under the thread breakout season..

Ryan Callahan - 55 to 60+ points. First time since 2011-12 season he has a clean bill of health going into a new season, and will have a training camp and pre-season as well. He was averaging over a .70 PPG over the last 3 seasons prior to last season, and he is still in his prime. He will also be playing with Stamkos and two Calder trophy finalists next season so could see his numbers increase and could have some of his best offensive seasons with Tampa, if he stays healthy or only misses a handful of games.

I know you guys will be happy if Cally hits just 50 points or just under, but i really think he has the potential to have some of his best season here. Will only make this team better.

Should be interesting how many Ranger fans bash this. :help:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I posted this in the main forum under the thread breakout season..

I know you guys will be happy if Cally hits just 50 points or just under, but i really think he has the potential to have some of his best season here. Will only make this team better.

Should be interesting how many Ranger fans bash this. :help:

One can hope and I think if Cally have it in him to do it.

I also hope that he will be able to stay healthy but I don’t think that it’s impossible that he will feel better in Tampa. You can look at Justin Williams aka Mr. Game 7, when he was traded to the Kings everyone was saying what a terrible deal that was and he would break down and only get more injured but going to a team with a great GM and coach who believed in him and his abilities worked wonders and now he’s a key guy for them and I think it has the potential to have a similar effect with Cally because the mental part of the game is way underrated and just simply hearing your coach say that as long as he is there he wants Cally on the bench it could create wonders, but we really don’t know, I do think that he will do better than last year though since he will be going through training camp and he won’t be rushed back into action after shoulder surgery because the team he plays for is struggling and even if he did get injured TB unlike NYR wouldn’t count on him in the same way to help bring the team back from the edge of the cliff (though he got no created for that what so ever from NYR), oh well, only time will tell, I’m very excited though.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
I'm happy if Callahan scores 20 and puts up 45ish points to be honest. Anything more is great, obviously, but those kind of numbers seems like realistic thing to expect from him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm happy if Callahan scores 20 and puts up 45ish points to be honest. Anything more is great, obviously, but those kind of numbers seems like realistic thing to expect from him.

20-25-45 is not enough for someone making close to 6million no matter what other intangibles they bring. In the first three years of the deal he needs to have at least 25 goals and 50 points, but i expect 60. When the cap goes up a lot and his deal is more 2/3rd liner money then he can put up those numbers. Killorn can have a 20-45 year because that's what we are paying him to produce at.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
20-25-45 is not enough for someone making close to 6million no matter what other intangibles they bring. In the first three years of the deal he needs to have at least 25 goals and 50 points, but i expect 60. When the cap goes up a lot and his deal is more 2/3rd liner money then he can put up those numbers. Killorn can have a 20-45 year because that's what we are paying him to produce at.

Maybe not but I don't think it's reasonable to expect Callahan to produce 60 points. He's not a 60 point player, he has never had a 60 point season and has only one season where he scored on a 60 point pace. I can see him scoring 50-55 points if he stays healthy. We overpayed Callahan, that's for sure, but that's something that had to be done; he's exactly the kind of player our lineup needs. Whether he'll produce on a 6 million player pace or not, I don't care that much. He makes this team better nevertheless, I'm happy as long as he produces 40+ points a season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Callahan should thrive with the offensive players he will be playing with here. I don't think it's unreasonable that he could hit 60 points. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad