Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I've been very happy with Cally's play. Anyone expecting him to produce like a superstar is out to lunch. He is not going to go point per game. What he is here to do is play a physical, two-way game and provide secondary scoring. He got robbed of a clean goal last night and was a force on the ice. He needs to keep doing what he is doing.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He played a very good game last night. 19+ minutes of TOI, the non-goal and 6 hits (T-1st with Gudas for all MTL and TBL players).

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Need to find the right guy to play with him and Flip long term next season. Palat fits well, but also fits well on Stammers line.

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
I'd like to see something like that next season..

Drouin - Stamkos - Filppula
Callahan - Johnson - Palat
Purcell/?? - Killorn - Kucherov
Paquette/Brown - Thompson - Pyatt

Hedman - ??
Gudas - Carle
Brewer - Sustr/Barbs
??

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I will break something if Tedward is on the team next season.

I would do Filppula - Johnson - Stamkos
Palat - Drouin - Callahan

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I'd like to see something like that next season..

Drouin - Stamkos - Filppula
Callahan - Johnson - Palat
Purcell/?? - Killorn - Kucherov
Paquette/Brown - Thompson - Pyatt

Hedman - ??
Gudas - Carle
Brewer - Sustr/Barbs
??

Killorn SUCKS balls at Center.

That Top Line would get absolutely destroyed, no sand.
If Purcell is still here, I start questioning the Management. He's not a fit for any line with the complete lack of effort he puts forth. He's basically an apathetic player. Brown deserves more ice and I wouldn't doubt if he is 3rd Line Winger still. He has the sand and speed to get pucks to the skilled players on the line he's with.

Pacquette needs to work on his skating more, but he's been a decent surprise in a small sample size honestly. Pyatt probably won't be here next year either through no real fault of his own. Expect forwards to be moved to address a shallow D pool. We need to address this in the draft and through trades. Not necessarily trading for NHL ready D right now (that would be great though), but have to stock the stable to develop them.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Killorn SUCKS balls at Center.

That Top Line would get absolutely destroyed, no sand.
If Purcell is still here, I start questioning the Management. He's not a fit for any line with the complete lack of effort he puts forth. He's basically an apathetic player. Brown deserves more ice and I wouldn't doubt if he is 3rd Line Winger still. He has the sand and speed to get pucks to the skilled players on the line he's with.

Pacquette needs to work on his skating more, but he's been a decent surprise in a small sample size honestly. Pyatt probably won't be here next year either through no real fault of his own. Expect forwards to be moved to address a shallow D pool. We need to address this in the draft and through trades. Not necessarily trading for NHL ready D right now (that would be great though), but have to stock the stable to develop them.

agreed I kind of like idea of stamkos palat johnson
filppula callahan connolly/panik
kucherov vladdy drouin
paquette thompson brown killorn whoever give us a little more toughness vladdy is very solid two way kucherov and drouin would light up the third line with vladdy imho johnson works incredibly well with palat and will hit the boards even though not up to that level but those three with that speed would be hard to deal with for anyone. Second line is good if panik or connolly can step up cause they are a grade down defensively would still be ok.

Pretty much if this is our roster above its interchangeable etc.. very diverse keep at least one physical guy on each line that will do the boards etc.

Not sure whom we move for d etc. I would be ok with moving carle for a guy who scores less but brings more physicality myself so think that is a trad that could be made myself. Purcy must go. Sorry but he just does not fit on this team whatsoever got his chance last night on top line and while they are on boards he is no where to be found? So he got moved down which knew would happen than all of a sudden we are playing better?

Sad fact is teddy has it in him to play better and hit the boards etc. he chooses not to and that hurts whatever line he is on so would rather have a guy with less talent but more effort and commitment to doing what it takes to win.

Yet we have a guy like hedman who gets out worked by gionta when he could just bulldoze the kid into the next arena is funny to me at times to watch this team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wouldn't mind seeing Cally and Stamkos paired up for game 4. Maybe even with Palat, although, if MTL neutralized that line, our other lines would be screwed.

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
NYR fan here....I loved callahan, literally had him on a pedestal, until he wiped his a&% with the NYR C and all that comes with it, with his insane demands. Im interested to see what happens here though, I always said the only team that will give him what he wants is his hometown of buffalo. That being said the florida tax system could play to your advantage and you could maybe get him for a 5.5 hit, but I think he wants that NMC most. Hes a 5-5.5 player, NOT a 6, I always said that. 6 mill + is top line 30 g money, he will ever be that and cant stay healthy for that. GL in game 4.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
NYR fan here....I loved callahan, literally had him on a pedestal, until he wiped his a&% with the NYR C and all that comes with it, with his insane demands. Im interested to see what happens here though, I always said the only team that will give him what he wants is his hometown of buffalo. That being said the florida tax system could play to your advantage and you could maybe get him for a 5.5 hit, but I think he wants that NMC most. Hes a 5-5.5 player, NOT a 6, I always said that. 6 mill + is top line 30 g money, he will ever be that and cant stay healthy for that. GL in game 4.

It was the NTC that made Sather send him packing. I don't know why you are mad at a guy who is looking for job security and not having to move his family around. The guy bled for the Rangers since he was there, he was having an off year because of injury, but over the last 3 seasons prior to this one he has put up consistently strong numbers.

AV not putting him back on the PP was the biggest blow, because that is where he shines, and a lot of his production comes from the PP. That was the writing on the wall that it was his time to move on from the Rangers, even with multiple injuries, and loss PP time he still had 7 PP goals this season tied for the most of any Ranger player.

Also to add, Top line players are making 7 Million to 8 Million now, and will increase as the cap goes up. Callahan falls into top 6 forward production, but is a shut-down two way forward so his value is a little higher. What's shutdown? Ask the Blue Jackets. They got a front row seat to it.

Last edited:

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL

Wow, sounds like that one player you guys got in return for Callahan.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Yeah, right? I don't get the hate for Cally. After the trade he said he loved NY and hoped he'd stay a Ranger for the rest of his career. Regardless of how crazy the contract talks were during this season between him and his agent and the Rangers, you'd have to think something would have been worked out in the end with comments like that. Can't say we got the same love for the guy going the other way to NY.

Cally24Bolts

Apr 2, 2014
Central Florida

Yeah I guess that is why his teammates decided none of them would wear the C this year.......:sarcasm:

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida

You must really, really hate MSL. All Callahan did was reject a contract that didn't include the NTC he desperately wanted. MSL took a captaincy on a team he didn't want to play for, cried about not making a team that he wasn't needed on and demanded a trade team only (Which somehow Yzerman was still able to win the deal). And just speculation on my part but considering the tear the Lightning went on after the trade I'd say St. Louis was probably a bit of a cancer in the locker room.

Cally24Bolts

Apr 2, 2014
Central Florida
Need to find the right guy to play with him and Flip long term next season. Palat fits well, but also fits well on Stammers line.

I can never understand when you have a line that is clicking and scoring alot why the coaches break it up...makes no sense.......put Palat back with Cally and Fillip

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

After what MSL did to you guys, I just can't even comprehend to what Cally did to Ranger fans that was bad, except give his 100 percent effort every night, but couldn't this season due to injuries blocking shots for Lundqvist.

Yeah, right? I don't get the hate for Cally. After the trade he said he loved NY and hoped he'd stay a Ranger for the rest of his career. Regardless of how crazy the contract talks were during this season between him and his agent and the Rangers, you'd have to think something would have been worked out in the end with comments like that. Can't say we got the same love for the guy going the other way to NY.

Most Ranger fans wanted him to stay, he will get cheered not booed when he returns to the garden in another sweater. It's because Sather gives out contracts to guys like Richards, their homegrown players can't get that NTC /job security. Dan Giradi only got 3 years of a NTC, Sather would not give Cally even a single year of a NTC. So Ranger fans can say what they want, Cally just keeps getting screwed this season. First with injuries, then the Rangers, and then the NHL and the refs last night. lol.

To add, Cally's agent was ready to come down to the demands or at least negotiate further, but Sather closed the doors the night before, would not take any calls on March 5th from his agent.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I can never understand when you have a line that is clicking and scoring alot why the coaches break it up...makes no sense.......put Palat back with Cally and Fillip

Because STAMKOS is THE LINE THAT MATTERS. Wow even.

The second line is great if we can make it a shut down the problem isnt palat moving out its purcell moving in.

Also flipper has been not at his full capabilities.

Great news is next year we got more bodies one drouin will bring a superior offense. Other guys Paquette can be energy and physicality and the third guy Vladdy Namestnikov is a clone of palat long term it looks like.

We have Brown and hopefully connolly and panik whom can step up also.

The second line should be a shut down line. Should get 50 points a healthy flipper and callahan with anyone who will hit the boards get that. The top line needs to hit 80 points for stamkos so palat needs to be there because he is our best playmaker right now. He stirs the pot anyone upset with him moving to stamkos line is foolish to be kind in my humble opinion.

Palat also gives the first line some defense so is not like watching ovechkin and that would be a problem. Say teddy kucherov and stamkos that aint gonna work might score but man they would give a ton back.

We are a better team right now with palat and stamkos together.

The problem again is teddy purcell. Brown is ok on that line just wont add to it offensively but d wise he is fine. Which is important especially in playoff hockey.

The top line played well the first game and played well most of yesterday when brown moved up teddy moved down.

Doesnt take a genius to figure this stuff out.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

You have to consider the circumstances. Stamkos had returned from his injury and Marty was traded so they had to find somebody to play with Stammer on the 1st line. 18-51-24 was clicking but both our 1st and 3rd line was slumping at the time of the 2nd line break-up.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I've been hoping for a Cally/Palat re-union. Cally had a big part in Palat's goal last night, made the play to keep the puck in to get it to Hedman, and then quickly got in front of the net to screen Price. Then again that was on the PP, lol.

I understand about getting Stamkos going, but I've seen better chemistry with Flip and Callahan with Palat.

Well if Cally re-signs, always have next season to figure this out.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I've been hoping for a Cally/Palat re-union. Cally had a big part in Palat's goal last night, made the play to keep the puck in to get it to Hedman, and then quickly got in front of the net to screen Price. Then again that was on the PP, lol.

I understand about getting Stamkos going, but I've seen better chemistry with Flip and Callahan with Palat.

Well if Cally re-signs, always have next season to figure this out.

Purcell playing like a borderline 3rd liner at best had a lot to do with it as well. If this was 2011-2013 Purcell he'd be on the 1st line with Stamkos and the "Pallahan" line would still be intact.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Purcell playing like a borderline 3rd liner at best had a lot to do with it as well. If this was 2011-2013 Purcell he'd be on the 1st line with Stamkos and the "Pallahan" line would still be intact.

Well you guys know better than me. :D

Is there enough cap space to re-sign Callahan, and go after another top 6 winger to play on the Stamkos line? I guess have to see what happens in the off season. It would seem Malone will be gone, and that is over 4 million right there. Cap is going up next season, so it gives them even more space.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Well you guys know better than me. :D

Is there enough cap space to re-sign Callahan, and go after another top 6 winger to play on the Stamkos line? I guess have to see what happens in the off season. It would seem Malone will be gone, and that is over 4 million right there. Cap is going up next season, so it gives them even more space.

There might be but I don't have the exact numbers. I'd set defensemen as the priority for cap space and give Connolly a chance to step into a top 6 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad