Confirmed with Link: Ryan Biech joins Canucks: Video Analyst / Hockey Analytics

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Holy this is a huge win for the team and our community. Ryan is one of us and he’s damn good at it . My only wish was that the Canucks had the foresight to do this a few years ago. Regardless it’s a fantastic move and I hope he brings Harman with him .

Reactions: keslerburrows

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You still haven’t explained how if they use analytics really well why benning has said analytics don’t matter when signing Myers and guds.

I believe they have a team; I also believe they ignore it most of the time.

Why do you require an explanation? Life isn't black or white you know. I never said they don't "ignore" it. It's not some mutually exclusive thing. You can target a player based on a player's underlying numbers (for example the Canucks saw Benn as an upgrade over Hutton) and choosing to sign someone where the underlying numbers presents a different picture. Same with last season. Roussel vs Beagle. I know you have an issue with Myers, but did/do you have an issue with the Canucks more recent additions such as Leivo, Pearson, Miller, Benn, Ferland from an analytics standpoint? Ferland I can see as average.

Recently the Canucks under Benning have not cared about analytics and have not used them enough.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Same question: did/do you have an issue with the Canucks more recent additions such as Leivo, Pearson, Miller, Benn, Ferland from an analytics standpoint?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
To be completely honest, this might be the best signing the Canucks made this off-season.

I have had many conversations with Ryan, one of the most down to earth people you’ll ever meet, extremely articulate and intelligent.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I have enjoyed Ryan Biech's work. Very intelligent, articulate but never condescending or click bait stir the pot nonsense that others on Twitter do all the time. His professionalism I'm sure helped him land this job. Good hire and congratulations.

that is well said. i suspect he maybe lets his hair down on message boards behind an anonymous account, but he shows a lot of restraint as well as good old fashioned enthusiasm in his public persona, and those are admirable qualities. i wish him well.

Reactions: UticaHockey

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Same question: did/do you have an issue with the Canucks more recent additions such as Leivo, Pearson, Miller, Benn, Ferland from an analytics standpoint?

In a vacuum;
Ferland yes. Not by much, but I think hes production is a mirage and he is trending the wrong way.

Leivo and Miller definitely not. Like what both players bting.

Pearson has a special place in my heart because he is what it took to get rid of Gudbranson. I am unable to be objective when it comes to Pearson. :laugh:

Now if they had took an analytics approach to where the team currently is, does trading an unprotected 1st for a 2nd line winger make any sense at all for a bottom dweller team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In a vacuum;
Ferland yes. Not by much, but I think hes production is a mirage and he is trending the wrong way.

Leivo and Miller definitely not. Like what both players bting.

Pearson has a special place in my heart because he is what it took to get rid of Gudbranson. I am unable to be objective when it comes to Pearson. :laugh:

Now if they had took an analytics approach to where the team currently is, does trading an unprotected 1st for a 2nd line winger make any sense at all for a bottom dweller team.

To answer your question, I would think that if you crunch up all the numbers the odds are that that draft pick ends up being a fair value for Miller. Our odds of winning the 1st overall pick in this past draft was 5%. It's slightly higher in terms of odds of drafting top #2 or #3. As you go down in the draft the odds of drafting a 1st line player / 1st pairing Dman isn't high.

Objectively, if Podkolzin develops into a more physical JT Miller level player who puts up 20+ goals and ~50 points that's pretty good value (unless someone drafted afterwards who was a candidate at 10 develops into a superstar then who cares about value!)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You still haven’t explained how if they use analytics really well why benning has said analytics don’t matter when signing Myers and guds.

I believe they have a team; I also believe they ignore it most of the time.

He knows this already.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Good for him, but considering management's past stance on analytics it is somewhat surprising. Hopefully they listen to his input.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It really does make one wonder.....

If Joyful Disposition Burke wasn’t so smarmy and extremely distraught over the Canucks current management, would he have been in consideration for the position?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
To answer your question, I would think that if you crunch up all the numbers the odds are that that draft pick ends up being a fair value for Miller. Our odds of winning the 1st overall pick in this past draft was 5%. It's slightly higher in terms of odds of drafting top #2 or #3. As you go down in the draft the odds of drafting a 1st line player / 1st pairing Dman isn't high.

Objectively, if Podkolzin develops into a more physical JT Miller level player who puts up 20+ goals and ~50 points that's pretty good value (unless someone drafted afterwards who was a candidate at 10 develops into a superstar then who cares about value!)

I don't understand how this reply ties in with the previous exchange.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
This is great news for the Canucks. Honestly, pleasantly surprised the Canucks hired him. Who is left at CA that’s any good? Seems a lot of the top guys have been poached by now.

This is what I find interesting actually. There's NOBODY in Vancouver to provide any sort of narrative now, not that I felt CA has done a very good job picking up and contrasting with the Imacs and Kuzmas in the market. The passing of Botch has punched a massive hole in the marketplace and while I am happy for people like Biech, that leaves more sad sacks like JD Burke to stir the pot which is not great for any of us. With the roles that Halford and Brough have with the Athletic, they would be the natural fit, but I am not sure if they are up for it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't understand how this reply ties in with the previous exchange.

Um... it's a response to a question you posed? But in terms of the previous exchange, it sounds like you don't have issues with most of Benning's recent acquisitions from an analytics point of view so I'm not sure what made you comment that "Recently the Canucks under Benning have not cared about analytics and have not used them enough." I would argue the opposite. From an analytics point of view his recent acquisitions have overall been better than in his previous years.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Um... it's a response to a question you posed?

Ok I see, sorry I got scramblybrainy.

So you feel a bottom team should trade away 1st rounders for players that marginally improve the team, but wont push the needle one way or the other as far as making a run for the cup goes?

I find the way you evaluate draftpicks very very odd. Its like you dont give them an inherent value, but instead evaluate the picks based on how the drafted player ends up??

You can see the pick from a asset manage point of view if you think of it as the base currency of the NHL.

But in terms of the previous exchange, it sounds like you don't have issues with most of Benning's recent acquisitions from an analytics point of view so I'm not sure what made you comment that "Recently the Canucks under Benning have not cared about analytics and have not used them enough." I would argue the opposite. From an analytics point of view his recent acquisitions have overall been better than in his previous years.

10 million on Ferland and Myers.

Our draft wasn't analytics driven as far as I can tell.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Excellent hiring.

Also loving the spin and backtracking some folks here saying about him.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning now has John as his AGM, Ryan as Comets GM and Jonathan and Ryan handling the analytics and video part.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00