Confirmed with Link: Ryan Biech joins Canucks: Video Analyst / Hockey Analytics

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
It roughly costs the same as a normal Pizza, per month, so my wallet will be just fine. And I dont need to read the same regurgitated opinions.

I think that's a fair comment, but let's face it, there have always been better written journals. You can also graduate from University with your parents' Grade 10 English level and has been like that for the past decades.

The Athletic is a unique product that does offer high quality content. Don't forget that the Athletic isn't just a local. There are writers covering other cities' sports scenes as well. But it's not the Economist.

Fair points. I know it's not something most people care about, but it's important to me that journalistic institutions have utmost linguistic integrity -- even the sports-based ones. Well-written English is beautiful, and should be something that writers and editors strive to maintain. I don't begrudge people for having imperfect English, but the principle of paying to read it...doesn't sit well with me. And yeah, it's not a blanket issue for all their staff, nor is it entirely detrimental to the stories. Pierre LeBrun and Sara Civian are very entertaining from what I remember.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I don't know - Tulsky was in Carolina long before Dundon got there, and Francis was a pretty analytically-savvy GM.
Tulsky becomes an executive with real power and a voice months after Dundon took over. I'd say ownership played a apart in that instead of Francis getting a run down in small one on ones that analytics is apart of their entir process now.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The primary reason this hire is interesting to me is that Jim doesn't trust that analytics can fully capture the nuance of what makes a team succesful or a player impactful.

What Ryan can do is use video (eye test) to demonstrate what analytics is already telling us. That is helpful from both a scouting and coaching perspective. I think he is the perfect guy to help modernize hockey ops in a way that is non-threatening and easily understood by Jim.

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Bear in mind Benning also signed Tyler Myers, was recently quoted that he wants more size in the lineup to prevent injury and has recently discussed player age on cup winning teams in a way that indicates he has a decidedly different view on player aging and prime years than many who look into aging curves. He’s on a bit of an island here.
I mean, he also said this about Myers which... yeah. (The excerpt I'm commenting on in this tweet):

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean, he also said this about Myers which... yeah. (The excerpt I'm commenting on in this tweet):

Yeah, he just seems completely unable to make the logical jump that if his size and skating and jumping into the play are actually helping the team in sheltered minutes ... it would probably show up in the analytics. And if all the numbers this player is generating are really bad despite those positives ... he's probably very bad in other areas that are limiting his ability to help the team.

And I'm hardly an analytics guy.

That said, the big problem with Myers is that his backward skating/footwork are absolutely terrible and the guy is a pylon getting worse ... and yet Jim's eye test tells him he's a great skater just hitting his stride who needs more minutes!

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, he just seems completely unable to make the logical jump that if his size and skating and jumping into the play are actually helping the team in sheltered minutes ... it would probably show up in the analytics. And if all the numbers this player is generating are really bad despite those positives ... he's probably very bad in other areas that are limiting his ability to help the team.

That said, the big problem with Myers is that his backward skating/footwork are absolutely terrible and the guy is a pylon getting worse ... and yet Jim's eye test tells him he's a great skater just hitting his stride who needs more minutes!

Maybe we are mistaking the issue with Jim, it’s not that he doesn’t understand analytics he might just need glasses for his eye test

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"It's what he brings."

"Well, the analytics don't look good, and WPG fans say he was getting turn-styled like the reincarnation of Dana Murzyn."

"He's hitting his stride, just needs more opportunity and minutes."

"Well, he's 29 years old, he isn't going to improve his skating, and he was getting sheltered minutes."

"It's what he brings. He's a big body, he will prevent our guys from getting injured. Don't judge it until we are hoisting the Cup."

"Well, we tried warning you when this happened with Gudbranson, and of course that didn't work out."

"Hindsight is 20/20."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The problem with the eye test for skating with defenders is that most people treat it like it’s just one thing and throw a generalized comment at it - ‘he skates really well’. Except backward skating/footwork and forward skating are two very different things to the point where I classify them as two entirely different skills when looking at a player. And backward skating/footwork are far more important skills for a defender but people still focus mainly on forward skating.

If you compared, say, a Luca Sbisa vs. a Chris Tanev ... Sbisa is a lights-out better forward skater than Tanev. But Sbisa was a slow backward skater with clunky footwork who was a turnstile as a result while Tanev has absolutely elegant pivoting and edgework and is very difficult to get away from as a result.

Tyler Myers can take 2 or 3 strides carrying the puck and really whip up a head of steam and then make a small-guy deke going through the neutral zone that looks super impressive once a game. But time after time the fact that he’s a slow backward skater with these huge levers that limit his agility and pivoting ends up getting exposed.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
"It's what he brings."

"Well, the analytics don't look good, and WPG fans say he was getting turn-styled like the reincarnation of Dana Murzyn."

"He's hitting his stride, just needs more opportunity and minutes."

"Well, he's 29 years old, he isn't going to improve his skating, and he was getting sheltered minutes."

"It's what he brings. He's a big body, he will prevent our guys from getting injured. Don't judge it until we are hoisting the Cup."

"Well, we tried warning you when this happened with Gudbranson, and of course that didn't work out."

"Hindsight is 20/20."
Why you gotta bring The Murz into it?

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

The irony to me is I’d figure Benning would love to have data to back up his questionable decisions. If you’re looking to support a narrative, you can make the case that Myers is a good player by selecting the right numbers. Simply say “our group has strong evidence that Myers is effective when put with the right partner. He played particularly well with Josh Morrissey in Winnipeg and we have players that have similar qualities that will bring out the best in him.” (Alternatively, “Chiarot and Kulikov are terrible”). Then show them a chart like this: Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

I’m not saying I buy it, but it’s easy to frame a narrative when you position the goalposts.

Reactions: vanuck

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
He played particularly well with Josh Morrissey in Winnipeg and we have players that have similar qualities that will bring out the best in him.” (Alternatively, “Chiarot and Kulikov are terrible”). Then show them a chart like this: Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

The thing is, there are very few fans that discuss and dissect these stats. And if you do know about these stats, you should be well aware of the context of why Myers numbers looked the way they did when paired with these guys. Do GM's ever give that type of breakdown when holding a press conference with one of their signings?

The Jets left side behind Morrissey was absolutely dreadful. Chairot, Kulikov and Morrow are all Gudbranson/Pouliot level players. Chairot can't pass the puck to save his life, Kulikov is an all around disaster and Morrow has never been able to put his game together with any regularity. None of those guys crack the Canucks starting lineup.

Myers will be playing with much better defense partners in Vancouver, barring the left side all going down with injury. Will be a welcome change from what he was saddled with last season in Winnipeg. Should be reflected in the numbers too.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
The thing is, there are very few fans that discuss and dissect these stats. And if you do know about these stats, you should be well aware of the context of why Myers numbers looked the way they did when paired with these guys. Do GM's ever give that type of breakdown when holding a press conference with one of their signings?

Maybe not directly, but it’s the sort of thing that absolutely winds up in the ear of media, whether in a column in the Province, on 31 Thoughts, etc.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
... and yet Jim's eye test tells him he's a great skater just hitting his stride who needs more minutes!

I still think he pro scouts like he amateur scouts. He latches onto a couple things a guy does well (Myers does skate forward well and is pretty good once the play goes forward over center). The problem is a 17 year old kid is more likely to round out other areas of his game, vastly improve in other areas and would still have those strengths. A 600+ game veteran isn't going to round out his game to any significant degree.

Reactions: Hit the post

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm not about to trot out the "your grammar is bad, therefore your argument is bad" line, but I'd be a lot more inclined to believe your sentence if it had apostrophes...

I mean, come on, I literally just pulled up the first article I saw, and the very first line is this awkward header that has no indication it's a header, nor is it punctuated....I had to look precisely 5 seconds to find something egregious and unprofessional. I feel bad for your wallet

View attachment 244555

I have become increasingly aware of my poor grammar after you pointed it out. Bastard.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still think he pro scouts like he amateur scouts. He latches onto a couple things a guy does well (Myers does skate forward well and is pretty good once the play goes forward over center). The problem is a 17 year old kid is more likely to round out other areas of his game, vastly improve in other areas and would still have those strengths. A 600+ game veteran isn't going to round out his game to any significant degree.

I agree. But I also think that he acquires players based on certain needs that he sees that player addressing. This year he really wanted players who can get in on the forecheck. Creating offense other than off the rush was a huge problem for the Canucks last season and Miller and Ferland's underlying numbers suggest they should help.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad