Confirmed with Link: Ryan Biech joins Canucks: Video Analyst / Hockey Analytics

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'll also note. It's hard not to see this, at least somewhat, as a PR move.

Reactions: EP40

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I know this is probably overpessimistic but I can't help but think this was done in an attempt to appease some angry fans/media and they have no intention of using him properly. We shall see.

Reactions: xtra

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I know this is probably overpessimistic but I can't help but think this was done in an attempt to appease some angry fans/media and they have no intention of using him properly. We shall see.
You don't pay a person a salary just for that purpose. When managing a sports team, you'll always have detractors, there is no way to placate haters. Awesome hire! Always enjoyed his input here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ok I see, sorry I got scramblybrainy.

So you feel a bottom team should trade away 1st rounders for players that marginally improve the team, but wont push the needle one way or the other as far as making a run for the cup goes?

From an analytics approach? I'm not sure that your question is all that relevant. I would say that if the trade value is at least fair (taken into consideration the value of the trade in future years) and it improves the team the deal makes sense. But that's a simple answer to what would be a complex equation.

I find the way you evaluate draftpicks very very odd. Its like you dont give them an inherent value, but instead evaluate the picks based on how the drafted player ends up??

You can see the pick from a asset manage point of view if you think of it as the base currency of the NHL.

Even if you don't take into considering the quality of the draft, the inherent value of draft picks depends on the probable placement of that pick no? The first overall pick has a much higher inherent value than #12 or #16. Moving up four spots in the draft such as #16 to #12 usually costs a 2nd round pick. It costs a lot more to move up from say #6 to 3.

So if you are to crunch the numbers you should have calculated up the probabilities in which that 1st round pick would end up being say a top 3 or top 5 or top 10 pick and the probability that it falls outside of the lottery. My guess (and it's a personal guess) is that the math would suggest that the most likely outcome is that that first round pick given up doesn't produce a 1st line forward or top pairing Dman. Of course you also have to calculate the value that Miller brings to the team as well as his likely production.

10 million on Ferland and Myers.

Our draft wasn't analytics driven as far as I can tell.

Well you said that Ferland was borderline but I would agree that analytics wasn't what drove Benning to sign him but I think this isn't a case where Ferland's underlying numbers told Benning don't sign him.

As for the draft, I'm not sure you can say that, although they seem more willing to draft guys with not the best hockey IQ and skating issues. Obviously it's hard to track the prospects in the first place. But Podkolzin projects to be a player who is going to have great underlying stats given his steller 3 zone play.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
From an analytics approach? I'm not sure that your question is all that relevant. I would say that if the trade value is at least fair (taken into consideration the value of the trade in future years) and it improves the team the deal makes sense. But that's a simple answer to what would be a complex equation.

Even if you don't take into considering the quality of the draft, the inherent value of draft picks depends on the probable placement of that pick no? The first overall pick has a much higher inherent value than #12 or #16. Moving up four spots in the draft such as #16 to #12 usually costs a 2nd round pick. It costs a lot more to move up from say #6 to 3.

So if you are to crunch the numbers you should have calculated up the probabilities in which that 1st round pick would end up being say a top 3 or top 5 or top 10 pick and the probability that it falls outside of the lottery. My guess (and it's a personal guess) is that the math would suggest that the most likely outcome is that that first round pick given up doesn't produce a 1st line forward or top pairing Dman. Of course you also have to calculate the value that Miller brings to the team as well as his likely production.

Well you said that Ferland was borderline but I would agree that analytics wasn't what drove Benning to sign him but I think this isn't a case where Ferland's underlying numbers told Benning don't sign him.

As for the draft, I'm not sure you can say that, although they seem more willing to draft guys with not the best hockey IQ and skating issues. Obviously it's hard to track the prospects in the first place. But Podkolzin projects to be a player who is going to have great underlying stats given his steller 3 zone play.

The elephant in the room is that analytics is not an approach. Point of fact, “analytics” is like saying “mathematical models” or “numbers”. The Canucks have had Wall handling some of that for years. What does that mean, exactly?

The same numbers can lead to different conclusions based on assumptions and judgment. Suppose we agree that J.T. Miller adds two wins above a replacement level player and we agree on the value of the draft picks. What’s the value of two wins? It matters a lot to a team in the 95 point range, but not so much to a team in the 80 point range.

The models you use, the context you use them in and the decisions that follow are everything.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The elephant in the room is that analytics is not an approach. Point of fact, “analytics” is like saying “mathematical models” or “numbers”. The Canucks have had Wall handling some of that for years. What does that mean, exactly?

The same numbers can lead to different conclusions based on assumptions and judgment. Suppose we agree that J.T. Miller adds two wins above a replacement level player and we agree on the value of the draft picks. What’s the value of two wins? It matters a lot to a team in the 95 point range, but not so much to a team in the 80 point range.

The models you use, the context you use them in and the decisions that follow are everything.

Thank you so much for posting this. Feel like I've been on an island for years shouting "analytics is not Corsi" into the wind.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
'
I'm not spinning anything. They've been heavily criticized for not using analytics. They just hired a very prominent local analytical guy. It's not even a stretch. I would like to quash my cynical side, but I can't help it. This management team has done such a good job nurturing it.
Still, don't spoil the party. Most fans are generally happy for Ryan.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Weren't there reports from years ago that the Canucks hired an analytics firm to come up with stats to make their roster/acquisitions look good?
Yes, John Chayka's firm, Stathletes. The allegation was made on Stefan Heck & Justin Morissette's podcast The Real Good Show

Reactions: geebaan

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's so strange that this move is being praised... I thought people criticized everything management did no matter what because of some hidden agenda? :eyeroll:

---------

In seriousness though, this is probably the best signing of the offseason thus far, which, ironically doesn't even count against the cap. Hopefully this is a sign that they are taking analytics more seriously unlike recent history.

ccjon

Jul 12, 2011
I wonder if people will take rumours from Canucks Army writers more seriously now. His former colleagues have a friend working for the team now (in addition to whoever their other connections are).

Reactions: vanuck

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
You still haven’t explained how if they use analytics really well why benning has said analytics don’t matter when signing Myers and guds.

I believe they have a team; I also believe they ignore it most of the time.
I think on the pro side, they still lean heavily on more traditional scouting than analytics, but Judd Brackett strikes me as someone who happily takes analytics as another tool when it comes to amateur scouting.

Given Ryan Biech's predominant experience with prospects, I suspect he'll be heavily involved with the amateur scouting team.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I wonder if people will take rumours from Canucks Army writers more seriously now. His former colleagues have a friend working for the team now (in addition to whoever their other connections are).
I don’t see Biech putting all of his life’s hard work at risk just to leak rumours to his buddies at Canucks Army. So to answer your question, no, I will not be taking their writing any more seriously.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
i think you are underestimating biech.

Don't know the guy, and don't really care. The fact it's a convenient PR move has really nothing to do with his abilities outside of convenience. It speaks to the fact someone in Canucks ops isn't a complete dumb ass, though. That's good news.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Who the **** is this jackass?
source.gif

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Can someone red list me on Harman Dayal? I keep hearing his name but I don't think I've ever read his stuff. Cheers.

forget

Jul 6, 2019
He got a big boost last year from Botch. His Project Petey on the Athletic is a great read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->