Confirmed with Link: Ryan Biech joins Canucks: Video Analyst / Hockey Analytics

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Have never subscribed to the paywall for the Athletic. Would you say it's worth it post-Botchford? Pretty cheap, actually.

You pay a price on "free" services. The price is shitty click baity waiste of your time.

People need to stop thinking about subscriptions as "pay wall." Its the only way to get quality journalism. The other option incentivizes pandering to the corporations that buy the adds and maximizing short term trafic.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Nice hire! So which account on here is Ryan’s? ;)

me1ch

Jul 18, 2006
Vancouver
I am unsure if the Canucks front office is capable of making data driven decisions. There are firings over disunity however.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Was my go to for prospect updates, will miss him on twitter.

We seem to see eye to eye on alot of prospects so I am quite pleased. Hopefully they value his opinion.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You pay a price on "free" services. The price is ****ty click baity waiste of your time.

People need to stop thinking about subscriptions as "pay wall." Its the only way to get quality journalism. The other option incentivizes pandering to the corporations that buy the adds and maximizing short term trafic.
My problem with the Athletic is/was its lack of professionalism. I gave their free trial a go, and found incredible amounts of grammatical and structural errors, all from several different writers. Seriously unbecoming of journalism I'm expected to pay for. I am more forgiving regarding print, because editors are in such a time squeeze, but for god's sake the editors can literally change online articles at any time, so there's really no excuse other than "we don't care that deeply about our craft". Why would I pay for that?

I get that the Internet changed things (my friend is a schoolteacher, and she says kids aren't expected to learn how to spell to the same degree that we did, because auto-correct is so ubiquitous). I don't hold the old school of sports journalism on some pedestal as if it were sacred. The evolution of the format in an Internet context makes it easier than ever to engage in the game -- Botch's .gif dumps were the best part of the whole website! I'm just saying, I wish they had editors that at least owned a copy of the AP Stylebook. Then the price would be justifiable.

And to add further debate to your point, some of the best written Canucks content over the years has been the labor of love of fans. I mean, would Ryan Biech really get hired by the Canucks if his content was a "shitty click baity waiste of your time"?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
My problem with the Athletic is/was its lack of professionalism. I gave their free trial a go, and found incredible amounts of grammatical and structural errors, all from several different writers. Seriously unbecoming of journalism I'm expected to pay for. I am more forgiving regarding print, because editors are in such a time squeeze, but for god's sake the editors can literally change online articles at any time, so there's really no excuse other than "we don't care that deeply about our craft". Why would I pay for that?

I get that the Internet changed things (my friend is a schoolteacher, and she says kids aren't expected to learn how to spell to the same degree that we did, because auto-correct is so ubiquitous). I don't hold the old school of sports journalism on some pedestal as if it were sacred. The evolution of the format in an Internet context makes it easier than ever to engage in the game -- Botch's .gif dumps were the best part of the whole website! I'm just saying, I wish they had editors that at least owned a copy of the AP Stylebook. Then the price would be justifiable.

And to add further debate to your point, some of the best written Canucks content over the years has been the labor of love of fans. I mean, would Ryan Biech really get hired by the Canucks if his content was a "****ty click baity waiste of your time"?

Cant say Ive noticed more than 10 typos in my 1 year of reading them weekly.

Reactions: LovemyNucks

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Cant say Ive noticed more than 10 typos in my 1 year of reading them weekly.
I'm not about to trot out the "your grammar is bad, therefore your argument is bad" line, but I'd be a lot more inclined to believe your sentence if it had apostrophes...

I mean, come on, I literally just pulled up the first article I saw, and the very first line is this awkward header that has no indication it's a header, nor is it punctuated....I had to look precisely 5 seconds to find something egregious and unprofessional. I feel bad for your wallet

upload_2019-7-13_15-6-48.png

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
upload_2019-7-13_15-11-55.png

Literally the second article I looked at, literally from a different author, literally found within the opening lines of the article

Damn, at this rate I might find you 10 errors before dinner, without even having to unlock the articles

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Its tough seeing any of these analytics divisions ever getting full reign after the Florida hatchet job by the Old boys. Unless ownership pushes it like Carolina etc. But a nice hire nonetheless.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Its tough seeing any of these analytics divisions ever getting full reign after the Florida hatchet job by the Old boys. Unless ownership pushes it like Carolina etc. But a nice hire nonetheless.
I think the important thing for these teams is to try and contextualize everything. If you're a pure stat-watcher, you're never going to be able to use them in a prediction context. Kings have been irrelevant post-cup because they thought shot attempts = scoring chances. Biech knows his way around this minefield, though. I trust he won't push us to make uninformed, tunnel-visioned decisions.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Did that really happen? That's pretty interesting if so.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Have never subscribed to the paywall for the Athletic. Would you say it's worth it post-Botchford? Pretty cheap, actually.
That’s a tough one. I would say absolutely but that’s because I follow a ton of NFL and NBA so they have an insane amount of content.

From a Canuck standpoint it remains to be seen. I started subscribing because of Botch. His content was must read for me. I find I do read content still on the Canucks but not as passionately or waiting on an article if you know what I mean.

When I got a Botch article notification I’d read it immediately. The others not so much.

Hope that helps

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That’s a tough one. I would say absolutely but that’s because I follow a ton of NFL and NBA so they have an insane amount of content.

From a Canuck standpoint it remains to be seen. I started subscribing because of Botch. His content was must read for me. I find I do read content still on the Canucks but not as passionately or waiting on an article if you know what I mean.

When I got a Botch article notification I’d read it immediately. The others not so much.

Hope that helps
For sure does. Thank you.

I think I'll just download the app like what was recommended and access Canuck-related articles for free a few times a month. I definitely won't use it much past the Canucks.

Reactions: The Drop

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm not about to trot out the "your grammar is bad, therefore your argument is bad" line, but I'd be a lot more inclined to believe your sentence if it had apostrophes...

I mean, come on, I literally just pulled up the first article I saw, and the very first line is this awkward header that has no indication it's a header, nor is it punctuated....I had to look precisely 5 seconds to find something egregious and unprofessional. I feel bad for your wallet

View attachment 244555

Well that was a bit rough towards the end, but you are probably right. My english grammar might be so poor that I dont just pick up on the grammatical errors.

It roughly costs the same as a normal Pizza, per month, so my wallet will be just fine. And I dont need to read the same regurgitated opinions.

Reactions: lindgren

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Did that really happen? That's pretty interesting if so.
yeah Eric Tulsky one of the top analytics guys was made an executive in the org, I'm sure he had a hand in some of the player selection and movement too which is why the Canes have been so great at 5 v 5 for years

Reactions: vanuck
Feb 24, 2017
For sure does. Thank you.

I think I'll just download the app like what was recommended and access Canuck-related articles for free a few times a month. I definitely won't use it much past the Canucks.
I got it last year in September at the rate of one year for $35 Canadian.

I would do another year for $35 without thinking twice. We will see what they want from me on renewal day.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

And to add further debate to your point, some of the best written Canucks content over the years has been the labor of love of fans. I mean, would Ryan Biech really get hired by the Canucks if his content was a "****ty click baity waiste of your time"?

I think that's a fair comment, but let's face it, there have always been better written journals. You can also graduate from University with your parents' Grade 10 English level and has been like that for the past decades.

The Athletic is a unique product that does offer high quality content. Don't forget that the Athletic isn't just a local. There are writers covering other cities' sports scenes as well. But it's not the Economist.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The elephant in the room is that analytics is not an approach. Point of fact, “analytics” is like saying “mathematical models” or “numbers”. The Canucks have had Wall handling some of that for years. What does that mean, exactly?

The same numbers can lead to different conclusions based on assumptions and judgment. Suppose we agree that J.T. Miller adds two wins above a replacement level player and we agree on the value of the draft picks. What’s the value of two wins? It matters a lot to a team in the 95 point range, but not so much to a team in the 80 point range.

The models you use, the context you use them in and the decisions that follow are everything.

You should tell @PuckMunchkin that. He was talking about "analytics approach".

Anyhow, I agree with your points. But what I was responding to was the comment that recently the Canucks under Benning have not cared about analytics. I think it's quite the opposite.

According to Harman Dayal, Miller "is everything the Canucks need in a top-six winger" and Ferland "is a great add." Why? Because according to Daval the Canucks were one of the worst teams in forecheck chances per 60 and rebound chances per 60. So if Daval had it right, analytics suggest that both Miller and Ferland help address this. Miller is apparently the 12 best forward in winning offensive zone battles and Ferland is "one of the league's better forwards at receiving and firing pucks from within the slot and generating second-chance opportunities" (Harman Dayal).

I know Benning haters want to use the narrative that Benning is this dinosaur GM who doesn't understand analytics and doesn't use it, but from the looks of it, it looks like Benning has acquired players whose underlying numbers address a clear statistical deficiency.

Reactions: alternate

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

Anyhow, I agree with your points. But what I was responding to was the comment that recently the Canucks under Benning have not cared about analytics. I think it's quite the opposite.

According to Harman Dayal, Miller "is everything the Canucks need in a top-six winger" and Ferland "is a great add." Why? Because according to Daval the Canucks were one of the worst teams in forecheck chances per 60 and rebound chances per 60. So if Daval had it right, analytics suggest that both Miller and Ferland help address this. Miller is apparently the 12 best forward in winning offensive zone battles and Ferland is "one of the league's better forwards at receiving and firing pucks from within the slot and generating second-chance opportunities" (Harman Dayal).

I know Benning haters want to use the narrative that Benning is this dinosaur GM who doesn't understand analytics and doesn't use it, but from the looks of it, it looks like Benning has acquired players whose underlying numbers address a clear statistical deficiency.

There are many roads to Rome: he can like Michael Ferland and JT Miller without being familiar with Sportslogiq data or Corey Sznader’s puck tracking project. I’d suggest that may be a coincidence.

Bear in mind Benning also signed Tyler Myers, was recently quoted that he wants more size in the lineup to prevent injury and has recently discussed player age on cup winning teams in a way that indicates he has a decidedly different view on player aging and prime years than many who look into aging curves. He’s on a bit of an island here.

Reactions: m9

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Give it time. It's impossible to deny that's the route teams are headed towards.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Ah the lovely "haters" with their "narratives" again. Like meeting an old friend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->