RW Vitaly Kravtsov - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2018, 9th, NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
After decades of disappointment, this guy will be the first Rangers prospect to become a huge star in the NHL and consistently be in the Top 10 in scoring. Can't wait.
It's really incredible how long its been since we've had a legitimate true elite player in the league. Its been years and years of a bunch of good to really good players, but never that one guy. (im talking forwards)

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
It's really incredible how long its been since we've had a legitimate true elite player in the league. Its been years and years of a bunch of good to really good players, but never that one guy. (im talking forwards)

Jagr was the last one.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Really happy to see him scoring. Slightly concerned that a lot of these goals are him rocketing one timers with amounts of space that really aren't there in the NHL usually. Look at that goal today. Happens in the NHL time to time but not often. There was nobody within a mile of him.

Ovechkin does this all the time.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Ovechkin does this all the time.
Well, yeah but he's one of the best goal scorers of all time on a PP with some incredible PP players. Zibanejad tries it a lot too and it doesn't work out as well. Kravtsov will be in a situation a lot closer to Zbad's than to OV's. OV is a special case to say the least. Teams overthink covering him on the PP and make stupid decisions because of the threat of his shot.

My concern is that we've got a sample of 5 goals and I could be remembering wrong - you of all people would know and I'm very open to being reminded if I'm wrong, but a lot of those 5 are open timers with a ton of space. I know he's also charged down the wing and driven the net and make high quality chances a lot too, I'd just feel better if the goals were more varied and not so much taking advantage of a ton of space to hit a one timer. Or, again, maybe they are and I'm remembering incorrectly which I'm open to.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, yeah but he's one of the best goal scorers of all time on a PP with some incredible PP players. Zibanejad tries it a lot too and it doesn't work out as well. Kravtsov will be in a situation a lot closer to Zbad's than to OV's. OV is a special case to say the least. Teams overthink covering him on the PP and make stupid decisions because of the threat of his shot.

My concern is that we've got a sample of 5 goals and I could be remembering wrong - you of all people would know and I'm very open to being reminded if I'm wrong, but a lot of those 5 are open timers with a ton of space. I know he's also charged down the wing and driven the net and make high quality chances a lot too, I'd just feel better if the goals were more varied and not so much taking advantage of a ton of space to hit a one timer. Or, again, maybe they are and I'm remembering incorrectly which I'm open to.

They're from roughly the same spot but the situations aren't the same. The goal yesterday was a typical Ovi goal and because it was on the PP he had time, but the other 3 goals he scored from the same spot were the result of more open play and Kravtsov skating away from his man, creating the open space. They're also not really one timers because he has this weird shooting method where the puck sits on his stick blade for a fraction of a second, and then he roofs it. It increases precision but is really difficult. You have to time it to perfection for it to work.

The only thing I can compare it with is the Duncan Keith shot where he winds up the stick just halfway, not all the way through like others. With that he has a quicker release, more control over the puck, but lower velocity. Precision is key in both cases.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They're from roughly the same spot but the situations aren't the same. The goal yesterday was a typical Ovi goal and because it was on the PP he had time, but the other 3 goals he scored from the same spot were the result of more open play and Kravtsov skating away from his man, creating the open space. They're also not really one timers because he has this weird shooting method where the puck sits on his stick blade for a fraction of a second, and then he roofs it. It increases precision but is really difficult. You have to time it to perfection for it to work.

The only thing I can compare it with is the Duncan Keith shot where he winds up the stick just halfway, not all the way through like others. With that he has a quicker release, more control over the puck, but lower velocity. Precision is key in both cases.
True enough, maybe I'm just in Ranger fan mode of waiting for that wrong thing with an exciting young prospect haha. At his age in the KHL his production is impressive so I'll try to just not worry about the little details.

Reactions: NYRfan

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
True enough, maybe I'm just in Ranger fan mode of waiting for that wrong thing with an exciting young prospect haha. At his age in the KHL his production is impressive so I'll try to just not worry about the little details.

Feel free to ask though. I'm happy to provide some clarity and details as best I can.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Really happy to see him scoring. Slightly concerned that a lot of these goals are him rocketing one timers with amounts of space that really aren't there in the NHL usually. Look at that goal today. Happens in the NHL time to time but not often. There was nobody within a mile of him.
I'm actually relieved that he's scoring this way, my worry going into the season was his pure sniping ability as most his goals last season were him coming in off the rush or garbage goals around the net, reminded me of Rick Nash. He has an extremely fast release, you often see goalies look confused after he scores because they couldn't even see it coming. His shot reminds me of Pettersson's. I hope he can work on his shot power/velocity though, a lot of his shots don't look too hard.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Feel free to ask though. I'm happy to provide some clarity and details as best I can.
I guess my concern is that, yes it looks like he has a great one timer, or variation on a one-timer like you pointed out, that he is really accurate and fast with. And obviously that's a hugely important skill, just look at OV's entire career, Stamkos' peak or even Petterson's insanely hot start. I guess it's an issue with me just not watching the KHL regularly but it looks like there's so much ice on some of these plays that it seems comparatively easy to lose your man and find open space compared to watching NHL games. A guy like Zibanejad for example, great one timer, not so good at losing his man, not reliable at finding the space to get it off. That is a rare skill in itself in the NHL, even aside from having the shot. If Kravtsov can do that at this level, then that shot becomes a way bigger weapon.

The fact that he does have so many highlight worthy rushes makes me worry less, since that's a whole different skill in his arsenal, but the fact is also that he's mostly not converting them into goals against goalies a lot worse than NHL goalies, and a lot of the d-men he's walking with those silky moves wouldn't cut it at this level. But, again I remind myself he's a kid and the fact that he's walking pros in arguably the second best league in the world is incredible.

His playmaking ability gives me a ton of hope outside of any worries about goal production though – he's made a ton of incredible passes that teammates flubbed on, and that is something that will be easier to convert on in the NHL as he'll have way better players on the other end of those passes. They'll be better at anticipating the pass and finishing. It seems like most of his magic passes don't convert because teammates don't realize they're coming, so their whole reception and stride and attempted shot is half a second too late.

Who do you see as an NHL comparable player to him? I've heard Kuznetsov a lot but I kind of see a Filip Forsberg in terms of style. I wonder if he has that finishing ability though.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I guess my concern is that, yes it looks like he has a great one timer, or variation on a one-timer like you pointed out, that he is really accurate and fast with. And obviously that's a hugely important skill, just look at OV's entire career, Stamkos' peak or even Petterson's insanely hot start. I guess it's an issue with me just not watching the KHL regularly but it looks like there's so much ice on some of these plays that it seems comparatively easy to lose your man and find open space compared to watching NHL games. A guy like Zibanejad for example, great one timer, not so good at losing his man, not reliable at finding the space to get it off. That is a rare skill in itself in the NHL, even aside from having the shot. If Kravtsov can do that at this level, then that shot becomes a way bigger weapon.

The fact that he does have so many highlight worthy rushes makes me worry less, since that's a whole different skill in his arsenal, but the fact is also that he's mostly not converting them into goals against goalies a lot worse than NHL goalies, and a lot of the d-men he's walking with those silky moves wouldn't cut it at this level. But, again I remind myself he's a kid and the fact that he's walking pros in arguably the second best league in the world is incredible.

His playmaking ability gives me a ton of hope outside of any worries about goal production though – he's made a ton of incredible passes that teammates flubbed on, and that is something that will be easier to convert on in the NHL as he'll have way better players on the other end of those passes. They'll be better at anticipating the pass and finishing. It seems like most of his magic passes don't convert because teammates don't realize they're coming, so their whole reception and stride and attempted shot is half a second too late.

Who do you see as an NHL comparable player to him? I've heard Kuznetsov a lot but I kind of see a Filip Forsberg in terms of style. I wonder if he has that finishing ability though.
He’s like a hybrid of Forsberg/Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov probably is the best comparable for Kravtsov though (this is play style only, I’m not saying he will end up as good as either. He certainly has the potential though)

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Please, don’t overrate him. He is good player, but Kuzy was much more visible on the ice at the same age. When I saw Kuzy I was sure that he will become a superstar, but with Vitaly I’m not sure. He also has great hands and skating, but he is so raw now and surely has less hockey IQ than Kuzy had at same age. I now what I’m talking about because I watch most of games played by Traktor for more than 10 years.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Please, don’t overrate him. He is good player, but Kuzy was much more visible on the ice at the same age. When I saw Kuzy I was sure that he will become a superstar, but with Vitaly I’m not sure. He also has great hands and skating, but he is so raw now and surely has less hockey IQ than Kuzy had at same age. I now what I’m talking about because I watch most of games played by Traktor for more than 10 years.

I appreciate the perspective my friend. Rangers fans don't get much to be excited about these days, so forgive us as we haven't had a prospect this talented since Cherepanov, may he rest in peace

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

He's usually moving which separates him from the player and allows him to get the shot off. His one timers, or even a cradled wrister, whether scoring or not, comes from backing up to get open, or even skating to beat a defender. He's not the stand still, Ovi one-time clapper. He doesn't have that power in the shot either to compare him to Ovi, he's more of a quick release. His shot is much closer to Yakupov than Ovechkin. I can see the anger coming as soon as people read this, but that's not for him to be compared as a player to Yakupov, because they aren't similar players, at all. But Yakupov (and we're not talking NHL) was a player that always buzzed around and found an open area, as soon as the puck touched his stick, it was just as quick on net.

An NHL comparable shot would probably be more Gaborik than Zibby.

Forsberg, pre-NHL, and shooting ability aside, is actually a good comparable. The way he was able to hang onto the puck and dance around players was a thing of beauty.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's usually moving which separates him from the player and allows him to get the shot off. His one timers, or even a cradled wrister, whether scoring or not, comes from backing up to get open, or even skating to beat a defender. He's not the stand still, Ovi one-time clapper. He doesn't have that power in the shot either to compare him to Ovi, he's more of a quick release. His shot is much closer to Yakupov than Ovechkin. I can see the anger coming as soon as people read this, but that's not for him to be compared as a player to Yakupov, because they aren't similar players, at all. But Yakupov (and we're not talking NHL) was a player that always buzzed around and found an open area, as soon as the puck touched his stick, it was just as quick on net.

Forsberg, pre-NHL, and shooting ability aside, is actually a good comparable. The way he was able to hang onto the puck and dance around players was a thing of beauty.
Cool, thanks for this. Really interesting to read different peoples' perspectives on him. Like I said, I don't watch KHL very regularly at all so it's hard to tell what's made primarily thanks to the extra space or what's made with skill.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Don't see the Gaborik comparison at all in his game. Even like, pre-inuries Gaborik with the Wild is not the type of player that Kravtsov is.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kravtsov drives the play in the KHL as a teenager. That's incredibly rare. Not even Kuznetsov and Tarasenko did that at that age. They were good, but more cogs in a well-oiled machine.

Kravtsov is the best player in the ice most nights. He will need a year or two before he comes over ideally. There's no rush for the Rangers. I've seen a lot of comparisons but Forsberg seems to be the best one yet.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Kravtsov drives the play in the KHL as a teenager. That's incredibly rare. Not even Kuznetsov and Tarasenko did that at that age. They were good, but more cogs in a well-oiled machine.

Kravtsov is the best player in the ice most nights. He will need a year or two before he comes over ideally. There's no rush for the Rangers. I've seen a lot of comparisons but Forsberg seems to be the best one yet.

I can't agree with you. You can see rosters of Traktor and Sibir at 2010/2011, both of them don't look better than Traktor has this season.
Also I can repeat that Kuznetsov was more noticeable on the ice that season and showed smarter hockey.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can't agree with you. You can see rosters of Traktor and Sibir at 2010/2011, both of them don't look better than Traktor has this season.
Also I can repeat that Kuznetsov was more noticeable on the ice that season and showed smarter hockey.

Those teams in 2010-11 were play-off caliber teams with scoring from all lines. The current Traktor team is second lowest in scoring. How can you honestly say this team is comparable to Sibir and Traktor in 2010-11?

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Those teams in 2010-11 were play-off caliber teams with scoring from all lines. The current Traktor team is second lowest in scoring. How can you honestly say this team is comparable to Sibir and Traktor in 2010-11?
Yes, this year Traktor had weak start with bad coach but has better players (most of them played in conference finals last year) than in 2010.
Now team is improving and on ninth place in the conference and surely able to become eighth.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
19 goals in 9 games in November is actually on par with their season average. The team hasn't really improved in the scoring department, they are just lucky with some low-scoring wins going their way.

Again, Traktor is one of the worst teams when it comes to scoring, yet Kravtsov still puts up points equal or better than guys like Kuznetsov, Tarasenko and Panarin at the same age. Kravtsov is more a playmaker, driving the play on his line. Don't get me wrong, Kuznetsov was great in his D+1 year, but that team was much better offensively than the current Traktor team. 2.6 goals a game vs 1.8 goals a game is a huge difference. Kuznetsov had a team around him that was clicking

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad