RW Vitaly Kravtsov (2018, 9th, NYR; traded to VAN) Part2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can't say out of the interview, he's very immature, he doesn't say anything really bad. But yeah, it looked like, he expected something different out of his move to NA.

I don't understand Russian. I put it into google translate, so if some of the context is missing, please explain it to me, but he doesn't come off well in almost any interview I read. I read the interviews he gives, so my opinion is coming from what I've read of his interviews over the course of two years, not only this one. There were a bunch of things he said in this one that I didn't like.

He said he's not sure if he'll return for rest of season, unless he understands that he'll be used in the playoffs. When does a prospect ever give an NHL team an ultimatum that they will be upset at the team if they are not used and are only there to practice? There are players every playoffs that have no real chance to play and are only there to practice. In any sport when you are a young player trying to break in, you take any minutes, any role and any training opportunity with the team that you can get. These comments come off as if he feels like he's entitled to a spot in the lineup when the playoffs start. And there's almost no chance he gets into any games, so I hope he won't be complaining if he doesn't.

When a comment from the team president about needing to grow up is brought up, he talks about cooking food at home and living alone. This might be a problem with how things are interpreted between two different languages. He might be taking it literally when I think Davidson's comments were more from a full-scale perspective as opposed to taking on responsibilities of an adult. If not, I don't even know where to begin if someone thinks they are grown up because they can cook food and live alone.

Another issue I saw in this interview and something I've noticed constantly is that he often publicly will say that he takes full responsibility for things that went wrong, but when discussing anything specific, he'll show that he doesn't actually take responsibility for things that went wrong. Where he says he didn't do anything wrong to get benched, that to me sounds like someone who doesn't take responsibility for his play or when he says that there were mistakes by both sides, that sounds like someone who doesn't want to take full responsibility. I think the Rangers did make some mistakes, but it doesn't come off as taking full responsibility for things that went wrong for the player to be bringing up that the team did things wrong.

I think there's a sense of entitlement in his comments when he says he doesn't seem to understand why he's not a regular on the NHL team. There are guys like his former AHL teammate Shestyorkin that came into this season as KHL stars. Kravtsov was good for his age in the KHL, but certainly not some proven star in the KHL or proven definitely ready for the NHL. Meanwhile, he starts in the AHL season and is moping. Shestyorkin, who was much more accomplished, doesn't mope, dominates the AHL, and is eventually called up. Kravtsov didn't dominate the AHL at any point. His play was actually pretty underwhelming. Most players would take full responsibility for their level of play, and that they didn't earn a spot in the NHL with their play this season in the AHL. If he was good, he probably would've gotten called up.

His comment about thinking there's a contradiction between being told that he's part of the team's future and then not being on the team to begin the season comes off as more entitlement. Every team thinks their first round picks will be part of their future, especially top 10 picks. The players that play for the NHL team at any given time are the best players in an organization. Maybe he read too much praise for himself in the media and took that as he was guaranteed a spot on the team to start the season, but I didn't think it was very realistic that he was going to start the season in the NHL. Does he not understand that teams say these things about every first round pick but not every first round pick on an ELC is going to be on the NHL team at any given time?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He did an interview this week with the Russian media. He comes off so immature and entitled. The Rangers gotta get better at vetting character. They preach the character of players like Andersson and Kravtsov, and then these guys have character questions before they even are good enough for the NHL.

«Все вокруг улыбались, а потом отношение ко мне резко изменилось». В «Рейнджерс» заявили, что россиянину нужно повзрослеть
On his best way to ruin his development. I warned you people one day and got critisized. I saw something wrong with his personality. Now I know how that materializes in his actions. He is wasting a paramountly important season on stupid knee-jerk moves instead of staying put and working hard.

Maybe he always was the best boy on the rink. Never faced setbacks and adversity. Now he reacts to that in the most improper way.

Being right is sad sometimes.

I wish him the best and hope he can sort out his character issues. He needs to realize he is not even a star, let alone superstar, he is just another prospect until he gets something done.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I don't understand Russian. I put it into google translate, so if some of the context is missing, please explain it to me, but he doesn't come off well in almost any interview I read. I read the interviews he gives, so my opinion is coming from what I've read of his interviews over the course of two years, not only this one. There were a bunch of things he said in this one that I didn't like.

He said he's not sure if he'll return for rest of season, unless he understands that he'll be used in the playoffs. When does a prospect ever give an NHL team an ultimatum that they will be upset at the team if they are not used and are only there to practice? There are players every playoffs that have no real chance to play and are only there to practice. In any sport when you are a young player trying to break in, you take any minutes, any role and any training opportunity with the team that you can get. These comments come off as if he feels like he's entitled to a spot in the lineup when the playoffs start. And there's almost no chance he gets into any games, so I hope he won't be complaining if he doesn't.

When a comment from the team president about needing to grow up is brought up, he talks about cooking food at home and living alone. This might be a problem with how things are interpreted between two different languages. He might be taking it literally when I think Davidson's comments were more from a full-scale perspective as opposed to taking on responsibilities of an adult. If not, I don't even know where to begin if someone thinks they are grown up because they can cook food and live alone.

Another issue I saw in this interview and something I've noticed constantly is that he often publicly will say that he takes full responsibility for things that went wrong, but when discussing anything specific, he'll show that he doesn't actually take responsibility for things that went wrong. Where he says he didn't do anything wrong to get benched, that to me sounds like someone who doesn't take responsibility for his play or when he says that there were mistakes by both sides, that sounds like someone who doesn't want to take full responsibility. I think the Rangers did make some mistakes, but it doesn't come off as taking full responsibility for things that went wrong for the player to be bringing up that the team did things wrong.

I think there's a sense of entitlement in his comments when he says he doesn't seem to understand why he's not a regular on the NHL team. There are guys like his former AHL teammate Shestyorkin that came into this season as KHL stars. Kravtsov was good for his age in the KHL, but certainly not some proven star in the KHL or proven definitely ready for the NHL. Meanwhile, he starts in the AHL season and is moping. Shestyorkin, who was much more accomplished, doesn't mope, dominates the AHL, and is eventually called up. Kravtsov didn't dominate the AHL at any point. His play was actually pretty underwhelming. Most players would take full responsibility for their level of play, and that they didn't earn a spot in the NHL with their play this season in the AHL. If he was good, he probably would've gotten called up.

His comment about thinking there's a contradiction between being told that he's part of the team's future and then not being on the team to begin the season comes off as more entitlement. Every team thinks their first round picks will be part of their future, especially top 10 picks. The players that play for the NHL team at any given time are the best players in an organization. Maybe he read too much praise for himself in the media and took that as he was guaranteed a spot on the team to start the season, but I didn't think it was very realistic that he was going to start the season in the NHL. Does he not understand that teams say these things about every first round pick but not every first round pick on an ELC is going to be on the NHL team at any given time?

I think you bring up a lot of good points here.

In a previous post you mentioned that these character issues is a bit of a pattern of some Rangers prospects (I think you mentioned Andersson). I think in Kravtsovs case I can imagine it would be very difficult for NHL teams to get to know a 17 year old Russian kid who doesn’t speak English. It’s too bad, but hopefully he figures it out and the adversity makes him a better person and better player.

Reactions: Anthony5967

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Being right is sad sometimes.

I wish him the best and hope he can sort out his character issues. He needs to realize he is not even a star, let alone superstar, he is just another prospect until he gets something done.

Shades of Filatov?

Considering the Rangers love drafting Europeans, it has to be disconcerting that several high picks can't seem to get on the same wavelength with the organization. Whether the problem lies with the prospects or with the organization, there seems to be a legitimate disconnect somewhere down the line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shades of Filatov?

Considering the Rangers love drafting Europeans, it has to be disconcerting that several high picks can't seem to get on the same wavelength with the organization. Whether the problem lies with the prospects or with the organization, there seems to be a legitimate disconnect somewhere down the line.

I think it’s both, organization and the players. Gordie Clark needs to be fired, and I’m not convinced Bobrov, the director of European scouting and perceived front runner to replace Clark, is any better.

The Kakko pick isn’t looking too great either through one year, although I’m much less concerned about his development and he doesn’t seem to have the same character issues as the prior two top ten picks.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If I were Kravtsov, I’d be staying home in Russia. He’s not close to cracking the roster and it’s not worth coming over to be skater #30 on a 30 man roster. He should work on his game in Russia until safe play resumes.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Shades of Filatov?

Not really. Filatov was vastly overrated because he OMG! spoke English(back in the day this was huge), so people overlooked he was by far not that top 10 pick. And that pick put pressure on him and in the end made him believe he was what he was not.

Kravtsov did look like a legit top 10 pick. He has the talent. Filatov's problem was he was rushed. Kravtsov's problem is he could not stay put in one league until he progresses. Filatov came to believe he were better than he actually was talentwise, Kravtsov thinks his talent entitles him to not working hard.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Shades of Filatov?

It’s pretty baffling.

Although it does look like the Rangers jumped the gun bringing him over to NA so soon. There’s a reason why these Russian prospects marinate so long on the K. Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Kaprizov etc. they didn’t come over to NA at 19.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It’s pretty baffling.

Although it does look like the Rangers jumped the gun bringing him over to NA so soon. There’s a reason why these Russian prospects marinate so long on the K. Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Kaprizov etc. they didn’t come over to NA at 19.

Nils Lundqvist has been virtually untouched by the Rangers and he has excelled ever since being drafted. He's probably the only recent Euro high pick to have been left alone to develop at his pace with no interference from the organization. That kind of tells me that the Rangers scouting and development staff are doing a pretty poor job.

Chytil's development hasn't been ideal, he's had flip flopping stints in the AHL and NHL. Andersson looks like a lost cause at this point and the relationship has been rocky at best. Kravstov's development has been very underwhelming, whispers of entitlement issues have plagued him and bolting back to Russia in the face of adversity can't be a good thing. Kakko has had a very poor rookie season.

Whatever the Rangers are doing, it's certainly not helping anyone. There wasn't much that could have been different with Kakko since he was a 2nd overall pick, but the other forwards probably could have been handled much better. Simply leaving them alone for 2 years may have alleviated some of the issues that have cropped up. Expectations are clearly not being managed properly IMO.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not really. Filatov was vastly overrated because he OMG! spoke English(back in the day this was huge), so people overlooked he was by far not that top 10 pick. And that pick put pressure on him and in the end made him believe he was what he was not.

Kravtsov did look like a legit top 10 pick. He has the talent. Filatov's problem was he was rushed. Kravtsov's problem is he could not stay put in one league until he progresses. Filatov came to believe he were better than he actually was talentwise, Kravtsov thinks his talent entitles him to not working hard.

Filatov was almost PPG on CSKA at age 19 - you can't say, it was nothing. He just didn't care about hockey a lot, but nobody knew about this back to then...

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If I were Kravtsov, I’d be staying home in Russia. He’s not close to cracking the roster and it’s not worth coming over to be skater #30 on a 30 man roster. He should work on his game in Russia until safe play resumes.

He's a better hockey player than guys like Howden, Smith, McKegg, etc., and I'd take him in the lineup over any of those. Also, as long as he makes the 30, he might honestly be safer in the bubble than he would be at home

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Hockey fan first and Isles fan second..... Kakko will be a fantastic player. Kravstov too if they handle him right and possibly use some tough love when needed.
People will say Kakko had a poor season, not you, but others have stated he's not looking too hot. People going to factor in how much hockey he played the last year? I thought he was solid until the new year, and that's when the rookie wall hit him square in the face. He was slower, more tired, etc. Can't be easy. It took Rantanen some time, Barkov, etc. Laine was fine because he had an Ovi-like shot and was, what? 225 pounds and 6-4? Every prospect is different, but the hockey sense, IQ, skillset for Kakko is certainly there, and he also has more filling out to do. I thought he did an excellent job all year in Liiga protecting the puck and staying upright against men, but that was on larger ice. The NHL is a different animal. Kravtsov I really like, too, but with him he has to stop doing these interviews if he's going to come off like this, and the Rangers may want to have a look in the mirror after this and Andersson because there's certainly a disconnect with the Europeans.

Reactions: NYRfan

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

In a previous post you mentioned that these character issues is a bit of a pattern of some Rangers prospects (I think you mentioned Andersson). I think in Kravtsovs case I can imagine it would be very difficult for NHL teams to get to know a 17 year old Russian kid who doesn’t speak English. It’s too bad, but hopefully he figures it out and the adversity makes him a better person and better player.
I don't blame the Rangers fully but Lias did show some character issues and while true it's hard to judge kids at 17 especially from a foreign country, but team's like Vancouver with Benning place emphasis on character which is reflected in every draft since 2015.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

Your point is still well taken but he was 18 and a half years old at the draft.

Reactions: Love

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I don't blame the Rangers fully but Lias did show some character issues and while true it's hard to judge kids at 17 especially from a foreign country, but team's like Vancouver with Benning place emphasis on character which is reflected in every draft since 2015.
For Andersson I don’t recall any pre-draft concerns about character, if anything I recall his character being considered a plus.

Reactions: NYRfan

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Filatov was almost PPG on CSKA at age 19 - you can't say, it was nothing. He just didn't care about hockey a lot, but nobody knew about this back to then...
When Filatov was 19 CSKA was a different team in a different league. It was just the second KHL season. CSKA was a mess. And most importantly he was somewhat okay in the KHL since then too. "Almost PPG" quite often, but never better. Because that is what he is.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's a better hockey player than guys like Howden, Smith, McKegg, etc., and I'd take him in the lineup over any of those. Also, as long as he makes the 30, he might honestly be safer in the bubble than he would be at home

But does Kravtsov show good intentions and does he have the right effort? :laugh:

Reactions: UnSandvich

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
we have a recall option. we probably wont play for 3-4 months and KHL is starting soon. good move for all involved.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
we have a recall option. we probably wont play for 3-4 months and KHL is starting soon. good move for all involved.

The KHL regular season finishes in February , if the NHL/AHL season starts in say December/January then Kravtsov might as well play the whole season in the KHL. If he's good in the KHL then maybe he can get into some NHL games later

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No, you don't, it doe not work like that. It is not the Swedish league but the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad