RW Vitaly Kravtsov (2018, 9th, NYR; traded to VAN) Part2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kravtsov's NHL point totals weren't really anymore underwhelming than Kakko or Laff. They were just given more chances due to being top 2 picks.

If Kravtsov were given 2/3 full seasons he probably puts up at least equal point totals and potentially better than Kakko/Laf.

Not that equalling them is some amazing feat...but all 3 guys could be good by the time they are 24 years old. High expectations for really young guys.

Lafreniere and Kakko both were elite level scorers in lower leagues. Kravtsov wasn’t. Also, Lafreniere had 19 ES goals last year. Hard to score much more than he does. His totals aren’t higher because he plays 14 minutes per game cycling between the top 3 lines and very little PP time.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Kravtsov's NHL point totals weren't really anymore underwhelming than Kakko or Laff. They were just given more chances due to being top 2 picks.

If Kravtsov were given 2/3 full seasons he probably puts up at least equal point totals and potentially better than Kakko/Laf.

Not that equalling them is some amazing feat...but all 3 guys could be good by the time they are 24 years old. High expectations for really young guys.
Comparing their seasons from comparative draft year seasons.

Kravtsov
(2019/20* and 2020/21) - 42pts in 99 games in the KHL and AHL = .42 ppg
*2019/20 is 18 pts in 50 games in the KHL and AHL = .36ppg

Kakko
(2020/21 and 2021/22) - 35 pts in 91 games in the NHL = .38 ppg

Lafreniere
(2021/22) - 31 pts in 79 games in the NHL = .39 ppg

The fair comparison for Lafreniere would be to Kravtsov's 2019/20 season.
.39ppg for Lafreniere in the NHL compared to .36ppg in the KHL and AHL for Kravtsov.

Kakko and Lafreniere have a fairly similar production playing in the NHL as Kravstov had in the KHL/AHL despite receiving less ice time in their respective leagues as well as very limited PP time.

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Whining and floating. Talented kid with entitlement issues and little drive.
Honestly those issues are the types of issues that seem to be easier to overcome as a player gets older and is moved around a couple of time. See Jared McCann

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Canucks are a truly terrible team but with no floaters, and this includes their Russian players, so it will be interesting to see if Kravstov picks up his intensity and physicality under Tocchet.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Objectively has always been one of my favourite prospects/players that was blundered by an incompetent organization. So welcome to Aquilinis Canucks Vitaly!

Reactions: EXTRAS

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Objectively has always been one of my favourite prospects/players that was blundered by an incompetent organization. So welcome to Aquilinis Canucks Vitaly!

Honestly I’ve never been that high on him up until yesterday when I suddenly realized that he’s got a lot of potential to break out with a change of scenery. I used to be pretty high on Lockwood and our 2026 7th round pick but not so much anymore.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Comparing their seasons from comparative draft year seasons.

Kravtsov
(2019/20* and 2020/21) - 42pts in 99 games in the KHL and AHL = .42 ppg
*2019/20 is 18 pts in 50 games in the KHL and AHL = .36ppg

Kakko
(2020/21 and 2021/22) - 35 pts in 91 games in the NHL = .38 ppg

Lafreniere
(2021/22) - 31 pts in 79 games in the NHL = .39 ppg

The fair comparison for Lafreniere would be to Kravtsov's 2019/20 season.
.39ppg for Lafreniere in the NHL compared to .36ppg in the KHL and AHL for Kravtsov.

Kakko and Lafreniere have a fairly similar production playing in the NHL as Kravstov had in the KHL/AHL despite receiving less ice time in their respective leagues as well as very limited PP time.
This guy did a favour. But these stats arent comparable. (I mean they are if you straight up compare them)
Kravtsov is a different player. Different route. Different opportunities. His production was definitely haulted with the route they took with him and he chose himself. Young enough to become what he was capable of but much harder now. I can see him becoming a 55 point power forward given the right opportunity, and if he stayed in NY I couldnt see him passing 30 pts.
Surprised no one else sent more than this to NY for him, might be more to it, but a good trade. Low risk. Nichuskin type turn around I could see happening.

missonbody

Mar 18, 2023
Seems like a very slow start with Vancouver, but didn't get the chance to watch a Nucks game since his acquisition...is he getting quality minutes? is a "final" comeback in Russia is to be expected with him at the end of the season?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Seems like a very slow start with Vancouver, but didn't get the chance to watch a Nucks game since his acquisition...is he getting quality minutes? is a "final" comeback in Russia is to be expected with him at the end of the season?

He's been solid IMO.

He seems a bit snake bitten, but he's definetly noticeable out there. I think this season is moreso getting his confidence up, and letting him explore his game, and seeing what works. I'd love to see him next to Petey, as I feel his game could be very complimentary to EP's.

Next season is a definite make or break season for him though, and he must start producing or create a role for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad