RW Valeri Nichushkin (2013, 10th overall, Dallas) II

Lundface*

Carolina, Buffalo, and especially Vancouver are kicking themselves for not taking him.

He is good with Seguin/Benn but what if he was on the Sedin's wing?

Vancouver wouldn't use a rookie with the twins, or any top line unless they are defensive dynamos.

Switch Kassian and Nichushkin and Kassian would be the one lighting it up on the top line and Nich would be on the 4th line/press box and would have probably booked his flight back to Russia by now.

Not even saying Vancouver is right, but they took the right guy for their organization.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Carolina, Buffalo, and especially Vancouver are kicking themselves for not taking him.

Have you seen Horvat lately? I know he's in junior but be patient. Do you honestly think any team is kicking themselves 5 months after the draft? (Okay, maybe the bolts for drafting Erne :sarcasm:) Way too early to tell.

dwanmaster*

No, Edmonton is an abundance of wingers in Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Perron, etc. We needed a stud d-man prospect and thats what Nurse is.

I'm not saying Nurse is a better talent than Nichushkin but he is a much bigger need in our organization.

stud d-man prospect that can't even make the WJC Preliminary roster?

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I mean the Oilers are probably a little disappointed they didn't take Nich but Nurse's dominance in the OHL is making us feel better about it.
Yeah, I get what you mean. Both seem like good picks.

Looking at Buffalo, they're biggest need is a guy who can put the puck in the net. Their forwards look absolutely horrendous after Vanek and Pominville were shipped out.
Buffalo's biggest need is pretty much everything. But as far as their prospect pool is, they have many quality young forwards, like Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons. Larsson, but didn't have almost anything for defencemen, before Ristolainen and Zadorov.

MetalGodAOD*

Buffalo already has streaky sniper guys like Grigorenko and Armia. They much rather need a top dman prospect rather than another streaky sniper.

I don't disagree with you but Nuke plays more of a power forward game than a sniper.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I'm a low key stars fan so I'm pumped for the kid and Dallas, going to be a beauty trio to watch

Very happy with our pick though not going to be "kicking ourselves" when our guy hasn't even played a game yet

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
stud d-man prospect that can't even make the WJC Preliminary roster?

This has no impact on his ability to be a game changer in the future. See Logan Couture. Most knowledgeable hockey people knew that was a surprising omission. That is not really your arguement is it? Oiler fans and management are more than happy with Nurse.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
It was certainly a good game for Nichushkin and I'd say he was truly involved in two of the goals -- that'd be numbers three and four. (And I get that four points are four points stat-watchers.)

I felt his first assist was more attributed to the PHI LD pinch and/or Seguin's counter speed than his DZ breakout pass. As for his second assist, I thought he lost the puck more than he left it for Goligoski. On his third assist, I liked how he used his body to separate Hartnell from the puck, but I didn't think he nudged the puck to Seguin and felt he was rewarded with a phantom assist. His goal was a solid wrister from the circle.

[NHL]2013020446-X-h[/NHL]

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Au contraire, Nichushkin has just scratched the surface. As I said before the draft, Nichushkin has upside to rival Mackinnon, Drouin, and Jones.

And if Ristolainen hits his max upside, he's another Shea Weber, Horvat a better ROR, etc. All of zero teams are kicking themselves for passing on this kid right now. Maybe in 5 years if he's the only one of the bunch that looks like he'll reach his ceiling.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm still baffled at how far he fell on draft day. It seemed like a classic case of teams over-thinking things at the draft.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
It was certainly a good game for Nichushkin and I'd say he was truly involved in two of the goals -- that'd be numbers three and four. (And I get that four points are four points stat-watchers.)

I felt his first assist was more attributed to the PHI LD pinch and/or Seguin's counter speed than his DZ breakout pass. As for his second assist, I thought he lost the puck more than he left it for Goligoski. On his third assist, I liked how he used his body to separate Hartnell from the puck, but I didn't think he nudged the puck to Seguin and felt he was rewarded with a phantom assist. His goal was a solid wrister from the circle.

[NHL]2013020446-X-h[/NHL]
I disagree about his second assist. I think it's pretty clear that he intentionally left the puck for Goligoski at the blue line and even tied up the stick of the Flyers player after leaving it to ensure that the puck reached its intended target.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Buffalo would have taken him if they knew Zadorov would be there with their second pick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And if Ristolainen hits his max upside, he's another Shea Weber, Horvat a better ROR, etc. All of zero teams are kicking themselves for passing on this kid right now. Maybe in 5 years if he's the only one of the bunch that looks like he'll reach his ceiling.

Okay, I love Risto, but his upside is not Shea Weber.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I've said it before, I'll say it again, "the Nucks ****ed up." They should have taken Nichushkin with the 9th overall. Horvat will be a good player imo, but not on Nich's level. I was ASTOUNDED when they didn't take Nichushkin quite honestly. But as someone who considers the Nucks to be in his least favourite 3 teams, I'm more than happy. :nod:

beardedgraf

Nov 4, 2008
Dallas
I disagree about his second assist. I think it's pretty clear that he intentionally left the puck for Goligoski at the blue line and even tied up the stick of the Flyers player after leaving it to ensure that the puck reached its intended target.

I was going to say the same thing

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I've said it before, I'll say it again, "the Nucks ****ed up." They should have taken Nichushkin with the 9th overall. Horvat will be a good player imo, but not on Nich's level. I was ASTOUNDED when they didn't take Nichushkin quite honestly. But as someone who considers the Nucks to be in his least favourite 3 teams, I'm more than happy. :nod:

Nah, we're good thanks. Gonna take more than 4 goals in 27 games to make me regret taking a guy who has a 200-foot game and is averaging over 1.5 PPG. Believe it or not it is actually possible for Nichushkin to become a good player AND for Horvat to have been a good pick. This isn't Highlander; there can be more than one ...

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver wouldn't use a rookie with the twins, or any top line unless they are defensive dynamos.

Switch Kassian and Nichushkin and Kassian would be the one lighting it up on the top line and Nich would be on the 4th line/press box and would have probably booked his flight back to Russia by now.

Not even saying Vancouver is right, but they took the right guy for their organization.

Looking at both teams right now, Vancouver really isn't much better than Dallas. Dallas has him on their top line and could easily finish ahead of Vancouver in the standings this season.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Nah, we're good thanks. Gonna take more than 4 goals in 27 games to make me regret taking a guy who has a 200-foot game and is averaging over 1.5 PPG. Believe it or not it is actually possible for Nichushkin to become a good player AND for Horvat to have been a good pick. This isn't Highlander; there can be more than one ...

This.

Just because Nichushkin has looked good recently doesn't mean Horvat won't be a real good player too. I'm usually pretty honest when the Canucks **** up (and it happens often, especially in the draft) but I can honestly say that I am stoked that we picked up Horvat. No regrets at all.

I think both will excel. They are just completely different players though.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

Nichushkin is a lot less of a defensive liability than Kassian though. And Kassian did play for a while with the Sedins last year before cooling off.

Especially with the amount of time Burrows has been injured this year, I'm pretty sure if we had drafted Nichushkin he would have been given his fair shake with the Sedins.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Nichushkin is a lot less of a defensive liability than Kassian though. And Kassian did play for a while with the Sedins last year before cooling off.

Especially with the amount of time Burrows has been injured this year, I'm pretty sure if we had drafted Nichushkin he would have been given his fair shake with the Sedins.

I dont know if nuke would be with the team right off the bat, would have been interesting to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad